• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Recycled Air

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
appleturbo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused by the review on Last Exile volume 7. It was marked as shelf worthy but these were the comments out of the review

"After the sixth volume, I thought that a fabulously heart-pounding ending was inevitable. I was wrong. Despite the grand setup, the finale was nothing more than the fizzle you hear after a firework explodes" a few more comments and it ends with
"Even the final battle against the Guild can’t drag the series back to the same speed it was at earlier. It doesn’t help that the ending hardly makes sense, and requires quite a few logical stabs in the dark to get to what the series is trying to accomplish in regards to the Exile. The ending is satisfying enough for those who have been following the series up until now, but it’s a bit of a let down."

to me this volume does not mert the status of "shelf worthy" this sounds more like a rental and that's only based on the comment of it being satisfying to the people who have been watching it. Oh and thanks for the spoiler warning when giving out the ending.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:00 pm Reply with quote
It is nice to see that Bamboo has the same fealing about Gantz and GetBackers as I do.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:00 pm Reply with quote
One bright side on Eiken is that someone can make an entertaining, yet horrfically disturbing AMV on it. Hell, check out the first segment of AMV Hell Very Happy
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:03 pm Reply with quote
AMV hell is a Classic.
biliano

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:32 pm Reply with quote
appleturbo wrote:
Oh and thanks for the spoiler warning when giving out the ending.

Bamboo's job as an ANN reviewer is to describe the contents of the DVD that she was assigned to review. If you don't want to be spoiled, then don't read it. Rolling Eyes
Twage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised you don't mention Shinesman as a synonym for Daichis.
championferret

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Yay! I'm glad 'Shelf Life' is back, and also glad Full Metal Alchemist grabbed the first 'Buy Now' spot.
I hope this means that 'Right Turn Only' will hurry up and reappear...it's been a long, long time and I'm missing it... Crying or Very sad
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
appleturbo wrote:

to me this volume does not mert the status of "shelf worthy" this sounds more like a rental and that's only based on the comment of it being satisfying to the people who have been watching it.

It's still a good DVD. It's just not what I expected. You can have a very enjoyable DVD that has a completely blase ending. And, unless you've been watching the entire series, you wouldn't buy the disc out of the blue anyway. For those who have been following the series, the character development that they grind out (albeit at a slower pace than I was expecting) is quite worth it.

Quote:
Oh and thanks for the spoiler warning when giving out the ending.

What spoilers? I don't see any spoilers. Anything the company reveals on the back of the box is fair game when it comes time to choose what content to put into the reviews.

Twage wrote:
I'm surprised you don't mention Shinesman as a synonym for Daichis.

Ha! That never occurred to me. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Anime smile

Last edited by ANN_Bamboo on Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
AMV hell is a Classic.

omg Son of AMV hell had me cracking up.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:51 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:
AMV hell is a Classic.

omg Son of AMV hell had me cracking up.

While I wasn't too happy with the "extreme" parts, the parodies were excellent, especially the Evangelion parts (the parody of the long scene of Eva 01 holding Kaworu is classic, and the Mountain Dew commercial is a riot. Laughing )

To get back on topic:

I was interested in picking up Mezzo, but is it necessary to also see Mezzo Forte (which it was based on)?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote
It's not completely necessary to watch Mezzo Forte, however I'd strongly suggest watching it. I'd also strongly urge in this case to get the edited version - frankly the H-scenes in the uncut version are completely gratuitous.

With Kite, although they may cause some to cringe, there are too many things psychologically involved to leave them out. With Mezzo Forte, it comes off as being the complete opposite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
A comment about Mezzo: I'm very estactic that Bamboo made it synonymous with Najica Blitz Tactics. I love both these series, and unfortunately, they both ended without realizing their full potential.
Vekou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow.

I just can't figure out why Hagaren is praised so much. I don't see what makes it stand out so much. It kind of reminds me of a cross between Harry Potter and... well, mostly just Harry Potter. To say that it's the best show that will come out in the next 5 years seems ridiculous to me (aside from the fact that it's impossible to know something like that unless you have a time machine), especially coming from someone who reviews almost every series that's out there. And yet I hear it from Zac and Chris Beverege as well, two other critics who've pretty much seen it all. I've also been told that it gets better later on, and while it's shown some signs of improvement in the past two episodes on Adult Swim (14 and 15) have been a huge step up in quality, almost all of the 13 before them were unfunny or uninspiring during their lighthearted moments, unexciting during their action moments, and starring one of the most irritating, bigheaded characters in the history of irritating, bigheaded child characters, Ed Elric.

The premise of "alchemy misused," as we saw with Ed and Al trying to revive their mother, is very interesting. The backstory regarding the State Alchemists and Ishbalians is also interesting and entertaining. Scar and Mustang are excellent characters. But most of the series so far has strayed away from that, towards pointless side adventures and quests that are not the least bit thought-provoking or even exciting. Maybe it'll focus more later on, but these initial 15 episodes, aside from the last two, have been a huge letdown. It is not terrible by any means, but I was really expecting a lot more. Hagaren is far from being a standout show. If there was real character development going on here during these dull moments (more like dull years), it would be a different story, but Ed does not seem to be maturing at all. He is still whiny, still annoying, and still a self-righteous brat who thinks he's some kind of genius or revolutionary.

With just one review, I would chalk it up as being just a difference in tastes, but the response to Hagaren has been nothing short of explosively phenomenal, with many experienced anime critics hailing it as one of the greatest series of all time. But if you ask me, it's well-animated fluff with its priorities out of place.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:02 pm Reply with quote
YaY! A new shelf life column! Now to wait for "right turn only column."

Wow, that last anime is nothing but real bad fanservice...hahah! I heard about it from a friend, so I figured it would be bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately Liann is has some personal issue to deal with and it may be quite a while before her column returns.

In the meantime, in oder to get manga content back on ANN, I'm hiring a new manga reviewer (see the Staff Openings page).

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3