• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: X-Men Anime Clips with English Dub Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote
hold it one thing is that wolverine voice is different in x-men anime english dub.

yes the Fandom Rejoiced yes blum is wolverine for x-men anime version.

indeed give how other 3 were set yea in x-men version is different look on wolverine so bring THE voice of wolverine of this era aka blum.

yea so i guess one hollywood voice per marvel anime lead each & yea we're ok with it now.

overall yes good news we're NOT having peter petrelli to return voice wolverine for x-men but more BIG YES news is blum will back as wolverine for x-men anime.
Zags

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:46 am Reply with quote
Steven Blum, you are the one and only Wolverine.
jacksonh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
Sounds like Steve Blum to me not Milo Ventimiglia. Confused

X-Men press release never mentioned Milo's name.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-09-14/g4-to-premiere-x-men-anime-in-october-with-scott-porter

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/09/14/g4-premieres-new-marvel-original-anime-series-“x-men”-featuring-actor-scott-porter-as-the-voice-of-cyclops-on-friday-october-21-at-11-pm-etpt/103631/

Though I'd bet Milo will still voice him for his Blade guest appearance.

(I guess to be consistent with that character design and not to make him feel bad that he was replaced for X-Men)
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote
yea indeed besides after hearing peter petrelli in iron man & wolverine give how wolverine look in x-men anime yea better give fans what they want to have blum back for wolverine.

& besides other 3 marvel anime wolverine look younger so that why got peter petrelli as wolverine as for x-men yea older version with design indeed blum as wolverine.

so at least we all be ok with now x-men anime is SAVED with proper voice of wolverine is back for x-men anime.

(& wow i got mention on news page animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-10-18/x-men-anime-clips-with-english-dub-streamed just wow got some mention in here).
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
yes the Fandom Rejoiced yes blum is wolverine for x-men anime version.

Holy crap, that does sound like Blum. Awesome. It sounds a little more like his Spike Spiegel but it is worlds better than Peter Petrelli.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I was gonna come here to see if anyone thought that this sounded alot like Steve Blum... not having seen any of the English voice work for the Wolverine anime, I was thinking, "Man, this Milo guy could make for a great Steve Blum sound-alike!" And yet, the consensus so far seems to be that it really is Steve Blum... sweet. Smile

I mean, it possibly couldn't be anyone else, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Are we ever gonna get the Marvel anime on DVD? Mad
Stepppingoui

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quote
It looks like it is Steve Blum this is whats posted on his site

"X-Men Anime Premieres Oct. 21 On G4 - 11pm!
I'm comin' back as the ole' Canucklehead - with a vengence!
Snikt!"

http://www.steveblumvoices.com/
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Shame on whatever editor thought that wasn't the voice of Steve Blum!

Anyway, this looks totally awesome and sweet. They certainly seem to know the characters (didn't an American write this series?), so if the story is halfway good then I'm genuinely excited for an animé adaptation of a comic book for the first time.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
And The Fandom Rejoiced!

Steve Blum is back as Wolverine and I have to say, I am not disappointed with what I saw here and it seems the acting seems to miles better than the last two Marvel anime and I can't wait for the English dub to come out.

Blum, no one can do Wolverine better than you can and thank god that Milo isn't back because really, he just doesn't fit as him.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that first clip was a waste as far as giving a taste for what the dub voices sound like.

Honestly, though, Storm has got to be an improvement no matter who's voicing her. I hated her seiyuu, whom I felt voiced the character completely wrong. (Really, I challenge any ardent sub fan who is also a long-time X-Men fan to admit that they liked that vocal performance in Japanese.) While I'm not totally sold on Steve Blum as Wolverine, he at least has the more gravelly voice, which sounds more appropriate than the rumbling deep voice he had in Japanese.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keyl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Wow, that first clip was a waste as far as giving a taste for what the dub voices sound like.

Honestly, though, Storm has got to be an improvement no matter who's voicing her. I hated her seiyuu, whom I felt voiced the character completely wrong. (Really, I challenge any ardent sub fan who is also a long-time X-Men fan to admit that they liked that vocal performance in Japanese.) While I'm not totally sold on Steve Blum as Wolverine, he at least has the more gravelly voice, which sounds more appropriate than the rumbling deep voice he had in Japanese.

Steve Blum is the Wolverine. He's starred in 3 TV shows, 1 animated movie and like 6 games. When he yells, it just gets even more awesome.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Blum is back as Wolverine, hell yeah!!! Idon't have anything against Milo Ventimiglia, but I feel Steve Blum fit better because he's not only a good person to voice Wolverine perfectly, because he has more experience with anime then Milo. I'm glad Blum is voicing Wolverine for the X-men anime. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Really? Aya Hisakawa didn't do justice?

I need to hear a clip for myself. The English VA, however..sounds very, very familiar.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Really? Aya Hisakawa didn't do justice?

It's not so much that it was a bad performance as that it was the wrong kind of performance, one which totally changes the character that Storm has always had. Storm has, since her inception, been a proud, strong-willed, and usually very formal character, but the vocal performance in Japanese helps make her seem much more casual, vulnerable, and compassionate. Anime has a well-established tradition of using strong female characters, so why neuter Storm?

One of the most common complaints of ardent sub fans is that dub casting and performances don't fit the roles as well as the Japanese casting does. (An argument I dispute, but I won't get into that right now.) It does sometimes cut the other way, though, and this is one of those cases. In fact, I was pretty disappointed with the Japanese casting in general for this series beyond the characters who are actually Japanese, so I am dearly looking forward to hearing the dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2