• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tenjho Tenge Manga Heavily Edited

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:31 pm Reply with quote
who says Scanlations are bad?
Strategos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't care what edit it may be, altering anime and manga from its original form which was presented to the Japanese public is bad and WRONG.
Strategos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
If you want to get picky, adding subs is ok. You know what I mean.
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is terrible. My boyfriend is obsessed with this manga and has been looking forward to it's domestic release ever since they stopped the scanlations. Looks like he won't be buying this though.. Confused Sad.

EDIT: Okay, now I actually went and looked at the list. Again, WOW. Has anything else from CMX been hacked up like this before? I mean, honestly, don't license an adult title if you're not willing to release it as adult. Also stuff like changing "kill" to "smash" is a really unnecessary dumbing down. This isn't Toonami.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
orobouros

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they'll end up going shrink-wrapped with the next volume (like Negima) or with an eventual re-release. Stuff like this is what makes people want scanlations and fansubs.
Kenshin5000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, looks like it's that time again for all of us to make a gigantic stink about this until CMX (aka DC) gets rid of the edits.

Ready, set, GO!

I thought we were over this editing manga B.S. already. Viz may make small edits in their Shonen Jump mangas (removing Naruto giving the finger in one panel), but that's because they still want to aim those titles at kids.

Tenjho Tenge is not a freaking kids manga. One of the main reasons people buy the thing is because the fan service, for crying out loud! They're seriously hurting the largest part of the audience for this manga, which is the anime fanbase that absolutely DOES NOT stand for editing in any way, shape, or form.

Stupid, stupid, stupid CMX....
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is a bit of a shock. I thought the era of censored manga was over. I was hoping DC would treat their manga similar to their Vertigo line (which is often more explicit than most manga on the market), but I guessed they wussed out and decided to try to go for a younger audience. I'm really not a fan of the manga, but it still is disapointing that it's being censored.
Phantom14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:44 pm Reply with quote
This is so like DC to have their manga edited like this. I was realy looking foward to reading this manga. How could CMX do this you say, it is becuse DC still has their tail stuck between thier legs!!
NeoEllis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Tenjou Tenge wasn't something I was looking forward to, per say, but I honestly can't help but wonder, "Why?" Why spend the extra time and money to degrade an artist’s work? Why delay a release just to alienate the target audience? Why release a manga such a Hellsing, which is clearly adult oriented, uncensored simply because the objectionable content is violence as apposed to nudity?

All in all, it's a strange world where I can walk into the local Barnes and Noble and start reading an issue of Heavy Metal, yet manga is still subjected to prude lensing.
Phantom14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I sent an e-mail to them just now about this.
I SAY WE ALL DO IT!!

Here is the email:

[email protected]

Tell them we are not going to buy that pice of crap. We want our manga that way it was before tehy spent all that money trying to edit it!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I find this extremely amusing seeing as the fanserice is what pulls in the readers for the first four volumes or so, and THEN the story shows up.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking of getting this, but forget it now. I too am shocked they were stupid enough to edit this manga. This is highly unusual.

Some of these edits are freaing PG level. Tenjo Tenge was never PG or even PG-13. Even by Japanese standards this was pretty risque and a bit over PG-13.

Now I can understand taking the finger out of Naruto or even the smoking out of Hikaru no Go, but this here is just nonsense. DC really blew it. I think they are going to meet a stink about this and will wake up to the manga market and what fans will buy. Wonderful, as if War Games and Identity Crisis didn't already have me pissed off at DC.

-Xenos
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Blargh, one of the biggest releases I was anticipating...and now it looks like I'm not gonna bother. I really don't like buying edited manga, I don't mind if its from a certain shonen manga anthology, but this takes the cake, especially from DC, who has been in the comics business for YEARS and has ALWAYS been trying to fight the good fight againest censorshop...but it looks like they caved in here.

I'll just continue with Battle Vixens/Ikkitousen then, sure it may be a Tenten wannabe, but hell, at least Tokyopop doesnt censor "the good stuff" and doesnt refrain from using four letter words =3

I had such high hopes for DC...but they really are noobs.

Last edited by Izlude on Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phantom14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, what they think we are going to buy and what we will buy is two diffrent things. I for one am not going to buy any of their manga now. I think we should all e-mail them and tell them that.

[edit - Stop using bold, thanks. -b]
gundam29

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Its been a while since i posted anything but when i heard this on AOD and then ANN, I just say this Dc YASFNWITH did you do this you just killed off a bunch of fans thus hurting stock. Jeez Tenjo is not ment to be for little kids, I hope CMX learns from this or they are doom to fail.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8