• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Little Nemo Theatrical Release

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asuka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Was surprised when I found it listed in my local Regal cinema. Makes me all tingly and nostalgic, never seen it but I played the NES game extensively Mad
cubs2084

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:15 pm Reply with quote
This is.....unexpected news. Why is it being re-released?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Beats me... there are very little redeeming qualities in the film; aside from a great scene at the beginning spoiler[where Nemo's bed takes flight], it is absolutely dismal.

Interestingly, Miyazaki and Takahata were involved with the pre-production on this film, but soon dropped out. There's a nice little blurb at nausicaa.net. I'm fairly sure that is when Miyazaki first met John Lasseter; they were both doing production work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nionel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, I never knew that Miyazaki has involved in this movie in any way...

I'm guessing though that the re-release is the same as the early 90's dub, which brings back memories for me as I watched this movie almost religiously when I was young (which I guess technically makes this movie my first anime), kinda sad really, but if I wanted to see it again I'd rather go to Best Buy and just buy it then go to a theatre and see it...
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
boy, I had no idea that little nemo is anime. I haven't seen it in years, but i have always enjoyed it. Maybee I'll see it again. just for the hell of it.
animaniac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I first saw this when I was a little boy of oh 3 or so when it first came out on vhs and it was purchased for me. I loved it and still do in a nostalgic sense. I had no idea miyazaki had a hand in this nor that it was anime but more and more often I find some of my favorite shows as a kid were anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Little Nemo is one of my favorite films of all time. I've been meaning to get the unedited dvd for a long time but I haven't yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
animaniac wrote:
more and more often I find some of my favorite shows as a kid were anime.

Me too. I found out recently that a slew of shows I used to LOVE on Nickelodeon in the 80's are all anime. Littl' Bits, Noozles, and Mysterious Cities of Gold were all anime. (And let's not forget Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics, one of the best animated children's shows ever!)Very Happy

I think Little Nemo is one of those films that has a good amount of nostalgia attatched to it, but not great to watch once you're older. This was in my case, at least. I had all kinds of fond memories of watching this when I was small, but I was more than disappointed when I watched it again a few years back. I couldn't stop from rolling my eyes by the spoiler[hundredth "pajama" joke]. I'm afraid to re-watch Ferngully, for fear that another one of my favorite childhood movies will be ruined from an adult's perception.

Last edited by Cloe on Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Yanagi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:12 pm Reply with quote
This is a surprise! It's having a new theathical release, could this mean that it's a possiblity of having the movie released on DVD? I still own the VHS, and know where it is, but the VHS is so old, and getting worn out...Recently, I had found out that Little Nemo was a anime (still doesn't make it my first, Noozels and The Little Bits were ^^).
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Yanagi wrote:
This is a surprise! It's having a new theathical release, could this mean that it's a possiblity of having the movie released on DVD? I still own the VHS, and know where it is, but the VHS is so old, and getting worn out...Recently, I had found out that Little Nemo was a anime (still doesn't make it my first, Noozels and The Little Bits were ^^).

It already came out on Dvd last year!

http://www.animatedbliss.com/DVD/listings.asp?iDetail=Little%20Nemo
Generator_Gawl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Ummm... not to be a smart-@$$ or anything, but, regarding the main news post, last time I checked, Delaware was a state, not a city. I know it's small and largely owned by DuPont, but we should recognize its statehood nonetheless. Wink

As for little Nemo, I too played the heck out of the NES game. I also seem to have a vague memory of a tv series at one point, although I could be wrong about that.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ryuko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Man, I loved that movie when I was a kid. Smile That's pretty awesome. Maybe I'll rent the DVD at some point.
Yanagi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:37 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
Yanagi wrote:

It already came out on Dvd last year!

http://www.animatedbliss.com/DVD/listings.asp?iDetail=Little%20Nemo
It did?...that release went over my head ^^;;...Thank you for telling me that ^^;;
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:31 am Reply with quote
Something I've been wondering for oh, going on thirteen years at this point-was the NES game based on the movie, or was the movie based on the NES game? The basic plot and chara designs match up much better than either does to the original comics, and I'm fairly sure Windsor McCay's comics never had the Nightmare King in them. I might be wrong, but they seemed to be more interested with showing off the utter weirdness of dreams in general than in telling a good VS evil story...
donkeychips

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:22 am Reply with quote
is this that anime where that kid keep saying pajama something? and he has a key that opens a dark door and he opens it?

if so i remember it too
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2