• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Space Invaders

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 am Reply with quote
I bought Squid Girl, and I was kraken up!

God damn it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I have to agree that it was the fact that episodes doesn't hold up together which made me very weary on what direction The Girl Who Leapt Through Space, will go or even has a direction. I heard that baseball episode, awesome and badass on its own, really killed off a lot of the viewers since it served no purpose for the entire series. It bugs me that this Sunrise title that had really slick production values and downright cute and sexy female casts, and yet they had no idea how to go about it.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote
FotNS: spoiler[Yuria] "dies" offscreen like, THREE TIMES over the course of series, it's so rediculous...
crazychild

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:08 am Reply with quote
I think FotNS went way downhill after the Souther arc, with Juuza and Fudo being the main redeeming qualities (and the one bad guy that loves taking baths). If you thought the authors were just pulling stuff out of their asses to keep the series going at this point, just wait until you get to FotNS2.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote
I agree that Princess Jellyfish is much much better than Squid Girl. It is a different genre though, so it's probably not fair to compare them directly.

As for SoraKake, it's still on my to-watch list, so I can't really comment on it yet. The boxart shown in SL makes me wonder if I was mistaken in putting it on the to-watch list, but your reviews make me want to give it a chance at least.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote
I've always been a bit puzzled as to the reason Sorakake Girl fell into a vacuum --- I found the show to be more imaginative and entertaining than many other Sunrise series, and I think Sorakake Girl is a better sequel to My-HiME than My-Otome was, though it never reaches the dramatic heights of My-HiME, nor ever really makes as much sense.

But it does have a good deal of fun --- primarily with its robots (e.g., the Asimo cameo, but also "Imo-chan" and the childish personalities of the overwrought AIs in charge of the colonies. Unfortunately, the series won't reach its high-point (and turn the focus on its best character) until volume four, when the Nietzsche-quoting, chip-on-her-shoulder Tsutsuji comes to the fore.

Kimiko_O is right that the cover art for volume two is awful --- the show has its fan-service elements, and Sunrise exploited fan-service in its promotional material to the fullest. But it's hard to think of a single image that captures the series.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
SKG is staggeringly unpopular in North America

It is unpopular pretty much everywhere. And since it is, while not exactly bad, a completely average and forgettable show ... can't say it's a big loss.

I don't know why out of all shows they chose to publish this one ... maybe the license was cheap or it was a package ... but I so would want a good SciFi anime on DVD ... like Denno Coil v.v
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote
I finished watching the third HnK boxset last week and man, could that thing have more recap episodes? I counted eight, five of which were consecutive. Even the last episode was a freaking recap. I really enjoyed the final arc, though.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
It's nice to read all the comments coming in about The Girl Who Leapt Through Space. I have the third volume on my "to watch" list and the second volume's review might just motivate me to push the show up to the next dvd to work on.

Although I really do enjoy the show, it seems so schizophrenic at times. As if I can't determine if it is a comedy, or action or who knows what show. The comic interactions between Leopard and the cast can be hilarious at times. And then later on in the same episode things get serious with the battles in space. The show is a joy to watch, at times what you are seeing on screen is quite impressive. But, like everyone says, the show just doesn't get noticed. I will say, however, before I picked up the first volume back whenever, Bandai's trailer for the show as was really eye-catching in that "I don't know what is going on, but it looks pretty wild" sort of way.

Squid Girl, another show that I don't know if "I get". Yeah, it's funny, the wordplay jokes are imaginative, and there is a little sprinkling of environmental messaging going on. But it feels like the show doesn't go anywhere (at least to me). I'd be hard pressed to pick up a second volume.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:

Squid Girl, another show that I don't know if "I get". Yeah, it's funny, the wordplay jokes are imaginative, and there is a little sprinkling of environmental messaging going on. But it feels like the show doesn't go anywhere (at least to me). I'd be hard pressed to pick up a second volume.

Squid Girl, at its core, is pretty much an animated sitcom. As long as the jokes are consistently funny and creative throughout, you don't have to worry too much on show "going anywhere".
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I heard that baseball episode, awesome and badass on its own, really killed off a lot of the viewers since it served no purpose for the entire series.

That episode really made me want to see Sunrise do an entire series about super powered baseball players. Laughing

It was funny to see how insanely furious alot of people got over that episode. Kind of makes me wonder how they made it that far into the series in the first place.

At any rate, The Girl Who Leapt Through Space was definitely not the best show I've seen in the past few years but it definitely wasn't the worst either.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I loved Squid Girl, I hope to get a copy of the DVDs for my birthday! Cool
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
I bought Squid Girl, and I was kraken up!

God damn it.

If liking fish puns is a crime, I guess I'm gill-ty.

I watched the whole first season on Crunchyroll, and at no point was I not entertained. You can't really dislike this show, unless you've just had some kind of dental surgery that makes smiling painful. Having said that, I don't think I need to own it. So, fair review.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:

Although I really do enjoy the show, it seems so schizophrenic at times. As if I can't determine if it is a comedy, or action or who knows what show. The comic interactions between Leopard and the cast can be hilarious at times. And then later on in the same episode things get serious with the battles in space.

I'm with you there. My sister and I have been really enjoying it, although to be honest we're not entirely certain what the hell is going on. And does it officially classify us as "weirdos" if we're kind of hoping Leopard turns human and a romantic subplot ensues...? (Whenever I hear the word "weirdo" I hear it in Captain Vegetable's voice. Wink ) The infamous baseball episode sort of baffled us and we spent way too much time pondering whether or not it would turn out to be like the quiz show episode of Ergo Proxy.

Erin, are you watching Chihayafuru? That's definitely my favorite from this past season, not just something I feel like I got sucked into like most of last season's stuff. Well, that and Fate/Zero, but I think that latter's more because I'm a Fate/Stay Night fan.

I haven't seen Squid Girl yet, but maybe I'll rent it for the halibut.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

The infamous baseball episode sort of baffled us and we spent way too much time pondering whether or not it would turn out to be like the quiz show episode of Ergo Proxy.

Erin, are you watching Chihayafuru? That's definitely my favorite from this past season, not just something I feel like I got sucked into like most of last season's stuff. Well, that and Fate/Zero, but I think that latter's more because I'm a Fate/Stay Night fan.

I haven't seen Squid Girl yet, but maybe I'll rent it for the halibut.

What exactly was the purpose of the quiz show episode of Ergo Proxy and what are your thoughts on it? Also, as far as i can tell, Chihayafuru has been one of the more overlooked shows of the season thus far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4