• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle Gets Manga Adaptation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was based on manga.. huh.
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Isn't there already a manga adaptation, though?

Anyway, I'll try to see what this manga is like. I enjoy the anime a lot for what it is, I hope this will be just as entertaining.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little behind this season so I've only seen the first 2 episodes of this, but so far its been beyond satisfactory. The show has an interesting concept and I hope the manga continues to develop on that.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't the anime based off the manga though? I thought a manga of this series already existed already, but I guess not. I guess there are some series that start off with a anime and then do a manga.

Either way, this is a great series and really makes you think as well.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Wasn't the anime based off the manga though? I thought a manga of this series already existed already, but I guess not. I guess there are some series that start off with a anime and then do a manga.

This is an original Sunrise anime, as stated in the initial release news article.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-12-08/sunrise-makes-phi-brain/kami-no-puzzle-tv-anime

There's a lot of original series that start as an anime, with manga adaptions that follow after.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:05 am Reply with quote
How's Togawa's Cloverfield manga?
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
It should be interesting to see how the manga is turns out since the Anime just recent hit the airwaves for viewers to watch.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:

There's a lot of original series that start as an anime, with manga adaptions that follow after.

Yup... but in this case, while the story was conceptualized for a TV series, a spin-off manga was produced, and publicized in its entirety, before the first episode of the TV series aired. Makes it easy to mistake it for "the manga the anime was based on".

So this new manga adaption is actually the second manga based on the series.

(though original anime series are quite rare nowadays, so your "a lot" isn't particularly accurate. The stuff that gets an anime before it gets a manga is generally franchises that started as video games, toy franchises, light novels or visual novels, not original anime series)
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:

(though original anime series are quite rare nowadays, so your "a lot" isn't particularly accurate. The stuff that gets an anime before it gets a manga is generally franchises that started as video games, toy franchises, light novels or visual novels, not original anime series)

I think it depends on how you define "a lot".
There's approx. one new original series per season.
This Fall season we're currently in, has at least 3 that I know of.

If you start adding that up, it actually turns out to be quite a bit.
Sure, the manga/game adaptions/sequals/previous franchise out number them by a far margin if you compare them, but that still doesn't change the amount of original concepts that come out regularly.

Last edited by The Coffee God on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adamanto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Fair point, I guess.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:09 am Reply with quote
The "puzzles" are ridiculously simple for the show that has "puzzle" in its name -- so this alienates viewers, destroying "believability" of the whole project, which tries to pose as if it is about some puzzle genius.

If it was manga, chances that actual puzzles would be more thought out would be much higher, so I never had feeling that this show is based on manga.

Also, this show has utterly annoying cliché female character that incites immediate infernal hate -- useless, violent type which is dragged along.

The drawings of characters are of inconsistent quality, with some of the characters being visually crooked in some frames between now and then.

So while the initial concept is interesting, scenario, characters and visual rendition makes it mediocre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1