• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nikkei: Kaz Hirai to Become Sony's President in April

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
It's going to be interesting to see how this turns out. I mean, Kaz Hirai is known for his, erm, EXUBERANCE in the game industry, so I'm curious as to how he's going to handle spreading his spectrum to all of the Sony products.
Dakaran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
It's going to be interesting to see how this turns out. I mean, Kaz Hirai is known for his, erm, EXUBERANCE in the game industry, so I'm curious as to how he's going to handle spreading his spectrum to all of the Sony products.

I hope this is for the best, a more expanded library and worldwide release simultaneously, less zoning restrictions on consoles and working towards the future not the past any longer, and many improvements over the consoles and games releases...hrm, WTB MORE RPG, no ps vita zone restriction and stupid factory reset settings to play all the games we want, and a GLOBAL PS STORE, chikcho =p!!! The harder Sony makes it for gamers to enjoy the games, play the games, and feel at home on their gaming consoles...then the less likely they will evolve and keep their fan base.

About the PS STORE in Japan and America, comparison between the two when I went to see it, I said screw that It makes me so furious they just can't put the games on ONE store for all to use...useless piece of junky store software, wtf ever =p

Sony needs a new, strong visionary who can, with his ideas and beliefs, push ahead of his time the gaming genre. Someone who will stare into the eyes of the future without a doubt in his mind that things will change and sweep away the fans to something better with every generations of consoles and games they bring out of their doors...

Thanks,

Dak

Last edited by Dakaran on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Hm, this is going to be interesting. I wonder what Kaz can do as president.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
százlábú

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
They must beat Samsung with their TVs, beat Apple with Walkman and do something with the slr section too.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Given that I've been a gamer now for nearly 18 years, I've seen several companies go out of business, become more financially secure and even seen several companies merge. That being said, I remember the old days of Sony and even remember the era of when Sony still produced items in Japan, including the first generation of Playstation 2.

My first generation Playstaion 2 still works well after 12 years and while it may be simple, I've never once ever had a issue with it.

However, although it saddens me to say this, the truth is, those days are over and have been for quite some time.

Frankly, I don't even recognize Sony anymore, as the Sony of today, isn't the Sony I remember back in my early day's of gaming.

I won't really get into the specifics, as I think most of us know a majority of them, but I will say this, even in 2012, Sony still has plenty of work to do. Best luck to the new president, as he is going to need it.

If anyone were to ask me a decade ago, maybe even more, which video game companies continue to a long road of success and very few problems, back then I probably would have said Sony, to name a few. These days though, I am not so sure anymore.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad for Stringer. He seemed like he had good intentions, but got f**ked by variables outside of his control.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
When he introduces himself as Sony's new president, I wonder if he'll say: "I'm Kaz Hirai... Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzz Hirai!" Laughing
Buster D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Given that I've been a gamer now for nearly 18 years, I've seen several companies go out of business, become more financially secure and even seen several companies merge. That being said, I remember the old days of Sony and even remember the era of when Sony still produced items in Japan, including the first generation of Playstation 2.

The first runs of the PSP and PS3 (including the slim unit for the PS3) were also made in Japan. Not so for the Vita though, except maybe the units given to software developers for test purposes.
Jackstick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:57 am Reply with quote
Buster D wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

The first runs of the PSP and PS3 (including the slim unit for the PS3) were also made in Japan. Not so for the Vita though, except maybe the units given to software developers for test purposes.

Where are their consoles and handhelds being produced these days? I'm guessing China, like everything else.

Lately it seems like Sony's center of gravity has been moving towards America. I hope Kaz Hirai can bring it back to Japan. It is likely that he will be Sony's next CEO, when Howard Stringer steps down in 2013.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1