• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - SOPA Cabana

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
"You can't stop the signal'

Brian, I'm not sure if you were joking or not about where that's from. It's from "Serenity" (the Firefly movie).
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yet another factor is whether I like the people involved. Thanks to stunts like Sony vs GeoHot, I completely guarantee that not one my cent of my money will go to anything with Sony's name on it, ever.

Hope you don't buy anime at all, then, because a huge amount of anime OPs are made by people backed by Sony Music of Japan.

Also, boycotting products because of one case is simply ridiculous.
Imperial_Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
"You can't stop the signal'

Brian, I'm not sure if you were joking or not about where that's from. It's from "Serenity" (the Firefly movie).

He wrote that line himself since he said that the original sender didn't write anything at all, apparently.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Zac Bertschy has often said of anime that it "a privilege". While I believe this to be true, it often seems that conversation only addresses the privilege unto consumers and not the responsibilities of businesses that support that privilege. With that in mind, I would like to draw attention to Kyubey's response this week.

I think everyone here can agree that anime encapsulates a truly unique and diverse form of entertainment, however we would be remiss to forget that it is just that: entertainment. It has imposed upon it the factors of time, talent, and happenstance that cannot help but guarantee limitations. Further, anyone living in a developed nation has an unprecedented access to, among other things, entertainment. So if there is in fact something about the consumption of anime that alienates, perturbs, or otherwise cheeses you off, you can be sure that there is something new and interesting just around the corner waiting to be discovered.

This is the mentality that has lead me to distance myself from anime overall, but still stop by to scoop the cream of the crop.

RE: region coding/Blu-ray DRM

There have been a number of Blu-ray players manufactured that can be modified via the menu settings or through mod-chips plugged into the internals of the player (such as those sold by UK and Netherlands-based businesses for the Oppo BDP-83 and BDP-93). There is also software available to circumvent Blu-ray related protections (such as Slysoft's repretoire). Blu-ray, HDCP, and all of this DRM nonsense has been long beaten into submission. What a time I live in where "fighting the power" means going out of my way so that I can go out of my way to buy a legitimate product...

Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
Yet another factor is whether I like the people involved. Thanks to stunts like Sony vs GeoHot, I completely guarantee that not one my cent of my money will go to anything with Sony's name on it, ever.

Hope you don't buy anime at all, then, because a huge amount of anime OPs are made by people backed by Sony Music of Japan.

As ridiculous as responding to a few paragraphs with a blanket statement? What about being antagonistically contrarian?
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I think the anime industry is on the right track to stopping or at least shrinking piracy. But manga isn't anywhere as close. I care more about manga than anime, but they are twin industries (they're closer than sister industries, but still separate). Manga has a lot to learn from anime. The only thing that I've seen is Yen Press releasing Soul Eater Not! simultaneously with the Japanese in their magazine Yen Plus. I don't have the faintest clue how that's going, but I hope it's working well. The main problem I see with manga fighting piracy is not knowing what to license for simultaneous releases (or whatever fix will (hopefully) come about). Manga usually last a lot longer than anime, so it's more of an investment. Also, by the time a series gets popular enough to justify licensing, the English is already years behind the Japanese releases.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Hey I got picked!
Kyubei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I buy rather less of it, yes. Like I said, I can live without it. I value the Internet and my rights much higher than anime or movies. If I got to choose, I'd gladly have the entire movie, anime and music industries die entirely, if that ensured they stopped trying to mess with the internet and my hardware.

Chagen46 wrote:

I said, "Thanks to stunts like". "stunts", plural. The mail's long enough already, I figured a complete list wasn't necessary for the sake of the argument.

If you want more examples, there's the removal of Linux support on the PS3. Not because I particularly want to run Linux on it, but because to me removing functionality from a product that was already bought is about the most offensive thing imaginable. I expect to get what I paid for when I buy something. To reach into my home and take a part of a product away is much closer to theft than any form of copyright infringement.

And yet another example is the whole rootkit fiasco. Overall Sony convinced me that they're a horribly unpleasant company, and that I don't want to give them any money.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
@Kyubei: I sympathize on the Sony front, but the company is simply so gargantuan it might be undeserved to paint all of their products and services with the same brush. In reality, Sony's divisions sometimes vye with each other for success; their portable music and music label divisions are a good example of such conflicting interests.

There are anime DVDs and Blu-rays that have been, in a word, disgraceful, and yet companies like FUNimation have demonstrated that they can respond to criticism and get with the program. That can't happen if they're just written off. Getting the nice HD presentation Blu-ray offers is also not possible without some concession. If the nonsense that comes with it is still a price too high, that's your prerogative, but it is likewise naive to think you can completely escape all nonsense - Sony is far from the only game in town!
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

This was from the responder calling themself Kyubey, right? I hope they know that Aniplex is owned by Sony...silly fan! :p
la_contessa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In my opinion, there are only two reasons fansubbers should exist at this point: one, to bring new shows that haven't been picked up for simulcast by anyone (COUGH*GUNDAM AGE*COUGH), or to provide older shows that didn't get a chance in the past (COUGH*THE REST OF GUNDAM*COUGH).

This is absolutely my position. I stopped watching fansubs almost entirely when I learned in 2006 that Netflix had tons of anime DVDs (which they don't anymore, but that's a separate rant); there is no reason to steal when you can get a legit product for less than $10/month. If the legit product is not available (an unlicensed older show, a new show that is not licensed for DVD or simulcast), it is still illegal to fansub, but not (IMO) immoral.

At this point, given the amazing FREE availability of subtitled anime on Hulu and Crunchyroll, I see no reason to pirate anime, subject to the above caveat. I agree that the focus on convenience is really the key here, but frankly, watching anime in the US with an internet connection has gotten significantly more convenient. When I saw the list of anime on Hulu FOR FREE, I literally almost cried because my dreams from 1999 have basically come true. For people to still act as if we are in 2000 and Geneon is price-gouging us is just as much of a refusal to adapt to the changing world as Bandai Visual refusing to study the NA pricing model.

I hate to sound like a grumpy old otaku telling those darn kids to get off my Sailor Moon, but compared to a decade ago, we really have it made. It is now more convenient, or as convenient, to watch legal streams of most things than to go searching for an illegal version. That said, I do still go out and buy box sets (another wonderful innovation!) even when the shows have legal streams, just to support them. The last thing I want is for them to stop making anime altogether.

(obviously, the availability of anime outside of North America, the availability of manga, and, especially, the availability of live-action dramas are different issues)
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Funny that copyright should come up this week with the raid on one of those downloading sites and the subsequent hacker attack on government sites.
Kyubei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
This was from the responder calling themself Kyubey, right? I hope they know that Aniplex is owned by Sony...silly fan! :p

What makes you think I paid for it? There are other alternatives, like borrowing DVDs from friends. On the ocassion I don't pay attention and buy something Sony made, I look around for somebody who buys anime and give it to them. That way, if they were going to buy it, now they don't have to.
loka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
la_contessa wrote:
I hate to sound like a grumpy old otaku

Well, at least you realize what you sound like. I'm sorry you missed Penguindrum. It was really good.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Brian, I agree with your answer to the person who posed the question about "why don't US companies update on the status of releases...", in this case, manga titles. Whether it be a company, government, or even parent, there's an element of protecting that is involved. Companies generally are less open about negative things in order to protect their business. Governments do the same to protect themselves, but in some cases also to protect the public. Parents will often not say anything, or soften up something negative to protect the child. It's human nature. Yet oddly, contrarily, most of us would prefer to know the truth, which is also human nature. Personally, I have more respect for companies, governments, or individuals when they are open and honest, because it brings us more to the same level.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
la_contessa wrote:
I hate to sound like a grumpy old otaku

Well, at least you realize what you sound like. I'm sorry you missed Penguindrum. It was really good.

It's on my list, so I'm glad to hear it was good Smile By the time I get around to it, how I watch it will be determined by whether it has been licensed. As I said above, I am not opposed to fansubs of unlicensed shows--but if it's licensed, I will watch it legally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3