• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Soulcalibur V Team Explains Why Natsu Replaced Taki

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Just got this today and realized many of my favorite characters are gone :S As a long-time fan, I feel sketchy about the line-up, but it's a great game overall!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't know. I get that the time between 4 and 5 means that many of the characters would be in their 40s and 50s, but it seems sort of like a half-effort when the older characters are replaced by younger ones that fight the same way.
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I don't know. I get that the time between 4 and 5 means that many of the characters would be in their 40s and 50s, but it seems sort of like a half-effort when the older characters are replaced by younger ones that fight the same way.

When in the world of martial arts (to an extent) you usually learn certain styles that gets passed down from certain generations to certain generations. Case in point, 3 of the new characters that have the similar styles of the older characters have learned their craft from their masters, along with having certain additional tricks of their own in subtle ways.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quote
Surely they could make the old characters unlockable!

Even if Sophitia and Taki are older now, surely they must be pretty spry after years of fighting.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quote
It's dumb because most of the returning characters barely aged at all (See Ivy) due to alchemy, or immortality, or the swods power, the few that did age, aged more gracefully, like Mitsurugi and Siegfried. Mitsurugi is 46 in V, he's still fighting valiantly and wild as ever. Hilde is 35, still fighting, she's even a MILF now.

Taki would be 46 in V, is it that un-realistic to have a female ninja in her late 40's? They could still make her look good for her age, and there have been plenty of older ninjas out there in fighting games.

I mean hell, doesn't Namco-Bandai also publish the Naruto fighting games? Look at all the old ass ninjas in that game, fukken Tsunde and Chiyo.

Fact is developers (and artists) are too scared to properly age their characters, so they either look the same or they bring in new characters to replace the old ones.

[/list]
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:23 am Reply with quote
@Running Wild:

I tend to agree. Since when is Soul Caliber on good terms with continuity? This isn't actually telling us why Taki is not in the game, it's an effort to placate minds, and hopefully wallets.

The bottom line is, if the dev team or their bosses liked Taki enough to keep her around, they would have.

Soul Caliber has a history of just throwing everything into a mixer and hoping something good comes out of it. After they ditched the quest mode in III I haven't looked back...
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
GTO Neko wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

When in the world of martial arts (to an extent) you usually learn certain styles that gets passed down from certain generations to certain generations. Case in point, 3 of the new characters that have the similar styles of the older characters have learned their craft from their masters, along with having certain additional tricks of their own in subtle ways.

Obviously, but you missed my point. From a game perspective, replacing one character with another that is almost exactly the same sort of defeats the purpose of a new character. Instead of playing as Natsu, it seems like playing as a stand in for Taki.
Ryderych

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:47 am Reply with quote
No Taki, no sale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1