• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mass Effect: Paragon Lost Anime Film's Teaser Posted

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
Of every story there is to tell in the Mass Effect universe, the tale relayed by James regarding his encounter with the Collectors would...not be my first choice. Or my second. Or third. Or fourth...

That said, the main thing that particularly jumps out to me as far as this production footage goes is the pencil sketches that appear to be of a character that simply should not be present in this story, which is a prequel to the events of Mass Effect 3.

Still, this is exactly what anime needs to be making more of. I just wish it could have been released in conjunction with the game's release, since RIGHT NOW is the time to be releasing supplemental Mass Effect materials, as opposed to six months from now. But it's a step in the right direction. Here's hoping it's good! In fact, here's hoping it's great. For a project as high profile as this, "okay" just isn't going to cut it, because a lot of people who don't typically watch anime will give this a shot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
Maybe by then, I'll actually buy the game for a reasonable price instead of coasting through the videos online. Someday, I'll end my Shepard's story. That, and more DLC available.

I made mine a black female with red hair and eyes, gave her a better colonist feel. The color red became her trademark style color throughout the game, despite her more paragon path. Through the second, she gradually made more renegade options along with paragon to offset her growing desperation of all events. She struggles to do what's right, but her constant war has put a definite strain on her. By the end, she's but a shadow of her former self, and she knows it.

Not shy for screwin' Asari though.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they'll keep it authentic and at the end of the movie it'll ask you to pick up your DVD remote and press one of 3 buttons for whichever ending you want.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
"waah waah waah, but what about the ending?!" Rolling Eyes

Seems like half the internet is filled with whining and arguing about ME3's ending (the other half is filled with disturbingly erotic ME-fanfiction). Personally I'm sick and tired of it, so please let's not bring it here too.

(For the record, I thought the ending was OK. Could've been better, but I'm not too bothered.)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I just think it's hilarious that Bioware couldn't make do on their promise of actually having the decisions made in the first, second, and third games matter for the ending. Nothing mattered. At all. They also promised how the endings would vary greatly and wouldn't just be copy/pasted like so many other games. Instead what we got was Deus Ex rehash. One of the biggest lies for modern gaming.

Movie looks like it could be decent. I'm willing to give it a shot. At least it's more traditional animation unlike the Dragon Age movie.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
This thread is not about the ending to Mass Effect 3.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
The first thing that strikes me is that it looks more anime then that horrible Dragon Age thing. Yeah I know the Dragon Age thing is still technically anime in it's looks but it's not even close to what one would think of anime being. I also think it's quite ugly so it's nice to see this one using a more traditional style.

I also think it's wise they are telling a story that doesn't have Shepard in it(At least I gather it won't based on the little synopsis) and there is a good reason why.

Everyone who has played the games has a different view both from a character and visual stand point of who Shepard is. For example I play as the female Shepard and had the anime been based around Shepard it would have been modeled after the generic default Shepard that very few people play.(at least no one I know who has played the first 2 games used the default Shepard) That will detach alot of people from the movie as they won't care as it's not "their" Shepard. I have a idea of how my Shepard looks and acts as do many others and it's impossible to recreate that for every single person who played the games.

The way around that is to obviously tell stories about other characters pasts and that seems to be what they are doing and I think it's a good idea.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Looks boring. Very boring.

I have never played Halo, but I really liked the anime. I doubt this will get anywhere near.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
This should have been released with the game to captiize on the avertising momentum, shame they couldn't make the timing work.

A story about Vega isn't my first choice either. To me he's the most uninteresting milk toast character in the game, if he was real, it was like he got lost on his way to an audition to be in the gear of war game.

I have my own gripes about the ending but it not the typical ones I've seen around.
Tigercml

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
To hell with Bioware! I still can't even start Mass Effect 3 because of the import face glitch. They are typical corporate sell outs who deserve to rot in hell.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
ResistNormal wrote:
This should have been released with the game to captiize on the avertising momentum, shame they couldn't make the timing work.

Before, technically, since it's between 2 and 3.

But yes, little sense to release it at the end of the year.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Where's Tali!?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't get it? They make an anime NOW?! If they were smart, they would have made it long ago, and released it JUST before ME3 hit the shelves. Fans would have fought to the death for it. Now, especially with the crap ending and the slap-to-the-face-none-of-your-choices-mattered thing... I don't even have an interest in PIRATING this, let alone buying it.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
HI THERE, NOT-EVA UNIT 02!

Wasn't this announced prior to ME3?

I mean, why the hell does it need to focus on James? I found him to be rather "Blagh..." I'd much rather have a story focusing on Anderson's days as a soldier or a story about Garrus and his C-Sec days.
Panon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure there are practical reasons for it coming out after the fact (the game wasn't even complete three months ago, so writing a character story when it might not have been finalized in game wouldn't work) but honestly I couldn't think of a scenario worse than both missing the window where interest is highest and releasing it after the game has effectively killed the Mass Effect IP.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2