• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge of the 80s: It's All In The Reflexes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Love the opening disclaimer, that Is awesome Zac! Just wanted to say that. Now to listen to the episode!. -very excited-
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
To all you young'uns out there the episode title is a reference (I'm guessing) to a band you'd probably never heard of called Duran Duran.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I saw DYRL about two years ago after watching the first Macross TV series and I fell in love with it. There is something about that film that is so purely earnest that it dismantles my defenses and I come along not just willingly, but enthusiastically. Then again, I've never had an allergic reaction to 80s things. I actually find the era fascinating, which might explain my affinity for TOM☆CAT.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
I never really put much stock into good animation since it tends to age.

Hiroyuki Yamagi is the Japanese version of Don Bluth, his work in the 80's was amazing, and after that his work fell off a cliff. As for running Gainax he also seems to only pick up crap for adaptation, and he continually allows Shouji Saeki to work as a director despite the fact that no one likes his work.

Kind of glad that the plot twist in Touch never happens in Eyeshield 21, although Major does do the twist in an interesting way.

Huge fan of Riding Bean I had that as my number 4, I just fell in love with the character as soon as I saw his silhouette in Gunsmith Cats.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
I didn't even get past the intro and I'm laughing...

(And as delicious as Justin as David Bowie may be, Daryl as the entirety of Jem & the Holograms must prevail [I collect Jem dolls, I should know] so there you have it.)

Last edited by poonk on Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
I can't believe you actually sang the disclaimer. That was hilarious.

I really haven't seen a lot of 80s anime which seems odd at first glance because I watch a lot of non-current anime. However, that's generally my cut-off. There's a lot of 80s stuff I intend to see eventually but for now most 80s stuff just goes on my list of "old shows I'll get to eventually". I prioritize the 90s+ stuff for now.

Plus, I have serious issues with a lot of the "popular" 80s stuff I have seen. I sort of like a lot of Honneamise but I just find the characters to be so horrific. The "one moment" is obviously a big problem in itself but it also kinda colours my whole impression of the character's motivations which ruins the movie for me.

Macross: DYRL is just terrible to me. I guess maybe if you know the show? As a stand alone worth though it is just an absolute mess. So rushed and incoherent. Plus yeah, the whole magic pop singer plot just seems so silly. It looks great for sure but then...so does Steamboy.

Naussica is very problematic to me. It beats you over the head with its environmentalist posturing and it does so in such a weirdly contradictory way. I definitely prefer Laputa which is not great but an all around fun adventure.

Gundam is more Star Wars than Star Trek (but honestly neither are especially similar to Gundam).

Black Magic M-66 is awesome. (Although, again, I admit that I haven't really seen a ton of 80s anime so it may or may not actually deserve the "top 3" spot).

Bobby's Girl is on my To Watch list. (Windaria too).

Saw Zeta Gundam. Though it seemed wildly dated and overrated.

I like Venus Wars. It would have been my #4.

Armour Hunter Mellowlink sounds really awesome actually. I think I'll have to see it eventually.

Not to nitpick but my list actually mentioned Akira right near the beginning of the podcast.

Couldn't stand Riding Bean. I found parts of it so oddly dark and depressing for something so utterly, inexplicably absurd. (Yeah, that scene). It's not Honneamise bad but it still kinda wrecks that movie for me because it goes so, so totally against the rest of that movie.

I watched about half of Birth. Meh. Neat looking but I just couldn't get into it at all.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
I should point out that Riding Bean is available to stream on Hulu, it's both dubbed and subbed.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Only Leiji Matsumoto movie on my list.

What, no love for Final Yamato? Mad That's from the 80s.

Quote:
Cockpit was '89

It's listed as '93 on ANN Encyclopedia...

As for Nausicaa vs. Laputa, I like the latter more, just 'cus it's less preachy. Plus, the whole world-building aspect of the former's manga gets a bit pretentious at times. Though, for me, Kiki's the weakest of Miyazaki's 80s stuff, especially after reading the original book, because the story doesn't seem to be about her. I also don't think it's really fair to compare Nausicaa the anime to the manga, since Miyazaki probably had to pool some of his own money to even get the film off the ground, given how under-the-radar he was in the 80s. Apparently, Cagliostro was originally loathed by Japanese Lupin fans, and I'm guessing he got blacklisted as a result, because there's a huge gap between his then-body of work and Sherlock Hound.

Quote:
Lupin: Fuma Conspiracy

I like Babylon a little more, even though it's highly underrated. Maybe Zac can land a copy on VHS, if he hasn't seen it yet, and back me up? Fuma acts sort of like a DTV Cagliostro clone at times, even though I do enjoy its production values.

Quote:
Goku: Midnight Eye

It's fun for what it is.

Zac: DYRL was alright as a summary of Macross, but not really exciting on its own. It does have strong ending than Macross, though. Flashback 2012 is more of a worthwhile follow-up, IMHO, since it actually wraps up what made the show appealing in the first place. DYRL, OTOH, feels almost as dated as that 80s Pinocchio cartoon.

ikillchicken: Honneamise is obnoxious enough without the a-hole characters, just on the pacing alone. And I like Zeta Gundam, but it's not as focused as the original one.

Justin: Maison Ikkoku would be better if Nikaido wasn't added to the cast. He's absolutely worthless. And the only Robot Carnival segment which holds up the worst is that Edo giant robot fight, especially 'cus of the Japanese dub. And I will admit the last segment of Neo Tokyo's my favorite, too.

Also, I'm in the minority on disliking the second Patlabor movie. Total 180 in tone from the rest of the series that it comes off as a disappointment. It just seemed like a long-winded Miyazaki-styled Oshii rant which had the Patlabor name slapped on it, rather than an actual continuation of Patlabor. And sorry, but Shinobu's not one of the greatest characters in the series. That would have to be Clancy. And while I do like Goto, he doesn't really have anything to do with the story.

Quote:
Japan of that era was misogynistic

Let's be honest here. When it came to animation in the 80s, it was going to be a sausage fest across the board. That's why Americans started off the decade with Heavy Metal and only came up with She-Ra and Jem as a token gesture to female viewers. [Hell, I remember a college classmate joking that girls who got the NES only played it for Duck Hunt.] So it's no surprise Sailor Moon was so popular in the 90s, because it was clearly a reaction to all the testosterone toons they had to sit through to find any female characters.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:45 am Reply with quote
I have to admit that all of my exposure to 80's anime is limited to things that were licensed. Limited even more to the DVD's on my shelves. I did manage to watch the entire Macross series streaming on Hulu.

Favorites would include the Gundam series that were mentioned on the podcast. My overall favorite of the 80's Gundams would be Char's Counterattack. I have trouble ranking Gundam series. I'm a big fan of the franchise overall. I'm one of those people that find Macross to be silly and insubstantial in comparison. I've never been a fan of J-pop, or any pop music in general, so that might explain why.

My list would probably also include most of the 80s Ghibli stuff. I find it kind of impossible to exclude anything Ghibli. I also enjoyed less high profile things like Demon City Shinjuku and Vampire Hunter D.

Two titles on my list I was surprised not to hear mentioned: Toward the Terra (OVA, 1980) , Yawara - A Fashionable Judo Girl (1989). --They are favorites of mine, anyway...

The one title I would be surprised to see on anyone's list, but would definitely be on mine is Earthian(1989). This was my very first exposure to BL/yaoi. I really had no idea that something like this even existed, much less was made into a cartoon!! Granted, this was back when I was first discovering anime overall. It was quite the surprise. Despite the fact that it was really tame, I was like "huh?" Shocked "what?".

I can still remember my (and my brother's!) reaction. Laughing
For this reason alone, it deserves a spot on my list. Laughing
aeris2001x2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:54 am Reply with quote
I hate listening to these type of things is their a transcript anywhere?

Since it 1980's Anime Gunbuster had better be on here...
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:09 am Reply with quote
Mr. Bertschy, have you ever considered a career in DJ'ing?

I have to run to work (I can't quit until after I win the lottery tonight) so I'll have to catch the rest of this later. Really looking forward to a rousing debate. I could make a top ten list, but I've only watched ten shows from the eighties. So it would be kind of pointless. I have a fair size collection I want to watch, but have gotten around to it yet.

I just have to say that Gundam is totally hokey too, and there is nothing in this world that would get to watch those titles.

My top three 80's shows would be:
Project A-ko: 9.0/10
Windaria (un-cut version): 8.5/10
Elf 17: 8.3/10

Elf 17 doesn't belong, but I have a small selection size.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
To all you young'uns out there the episode title is a reference (I'm guessing) to a band you'd probably never heard of called Duran Duran.

Bzzzzt! Drifting towards incorrectness, although I salute your appreciation of the Duran!

The quote is from the classic eighties movie, Tron.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quote
I meant to send in my top 3, but i felt a little embarrassed since my #1 I love so so much for the aesthetics and not really the story? so i thought i'd get called out on it but

1. Any Studio Pierrot Magical Girl (cheating I know, but I view them as one big thing. but if I had to pick just one, then Creamy Mami)
2. Urusei Yatsura
3. Patalliro

that and how could i pick just three?! I had to list everything 80s i knew of and make sure I wasn't missing anything. XD Maison Ikkoku, Macross and Minky Momo almost made it on here too. Oh and Daicon IV

but yeah, i really appreciate this episode. i'm not really much of a mecha/heavy sci-fi fan (i mean I love Macross but that's the only 80s one i've really been invested in. and its mostly for the melodrama.) so its nice to hear what everyone thinks is the creme of the crop of 80s mecha and shonen so I can check some more of it out without being overwhelmed.
once I get my next paycheck I'll buy those Gundam movies and take my rite of passage XD
rockman nes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote
Tim Eldred is in this episode? THIS BETTER NOT HAVE ANY SPOILERS ABOUT VOTOMS Evil or Very Mad
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Hiroyuki Yamagi is the Japanese version of Don Bluth, his work in the 80's was amazing, and after that his work fell off a cliff. As for running Gainax he also seems to only pick up crap for adaptation, and he continually allows Shouji Saeki to work as a director despite the fact that no one likes his work.

Not quite sure if you made a typo, but the man's name is Hiroyuki Yamaga. I don't think he really has to direct 'good' stuff now - he's made a name for himself and he seems to be rather complacent being the president of Gainax. He was pretty laid back at Fanime 2010, though, unless you presented him something with a character on it, he couldn't draw it.

As for Shouji Saeki, I liked Wish Upon the Pleiades, even though it was sponsored by a car company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5