• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Manga Draw Negative Attention

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mayco

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:54 am Reply with quote
I believe that the parents should have nothing to complain about since it is their lack of supervision. Ratings are clearly posted. But then again, not many people really do look at the ratings, at least that's what I think.
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:16 am Reply with quote
Great, I can just see it now. "Manga is corrupting our children!!" Ugh....so long as Jack Thompson stays away.
Maceart

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:16 am Reply with quote
Wow, the attack of the soccer moms! Parents should learn to take care of their kids more! Besides, what's the harm of shoujo manga...
kyou nao

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:26 am Reply with quote
Okay. I swear. My first recation was "okay, and?" God, I feel that now a days everything is so *err* like you can't do anything without someone having some say so or griping about it. *rollseyes*

People need to get their Priorities corrected, there's more important stuff that needs tending to. If you feel it upsetting why doesn’t the parent (in this case) sit down their child and talk about what they read. And correct the mind set. Instead of going to the local paper and announcing to the public.. [omg, this book has parents swapping partners.]

I know this might sound indifferent for some people to hear, but my god these kids are not going to be sheltered (hopefully). Let explore and explain what reality and what's fantasy or better yet that if you understand diversity you understand the world, (a bit). [IMO]
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:28 am Reply with quote
And so.....it begins. After years of wondering whent he first wave would hit...here it is.

A whisper at first.

it will grow, over time. I have forseen it.
MaikeruXX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:00 am Reply with quote
Cyan Bloodbane wrote:
And so.....it begins. After years of wondering whent he first wave would hit...here it is.

A whisper at first.

it will grow, over time. I have forseen it.

And oh how i agree with you there about the 1st wave. But like everyone says parents should take care of their kids and restrict them from it. So she got it from the library there are alot of other books she could of gotten from there that are far worser than the manga titles she brought home.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gauss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:12 am Reply with quote
I'm shocked I tell you! I'm shocked!
pathetic1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:34 am Reply with quote
MaikeruXX wrote:
So she got it from the library there are alot of other books she could of gotten from there that are far worser than the manga titles she brought home.

And there are far worse things she could be seeing in the movies or on TV. I'm assuming that manga would get this sort of attention from parents is because of that whole "cartoons are for kids" mentality.

As I posted elsewhere, it's fine that these parents are taking an active interest in what their kids read (or that they read at all Razz) but going so far as to get these books banned from the library so that even those responsible enough to read these terrible terrible comics is overstepping their boundaries.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:38 am Reply with quote
Fallen Embers wrote:
Great, I can just see it now. "Manga is corrupting our children!!" Ugh....so long as Jack Thompson stays away.

Jack Thompson is too busy suing people and trying to goad the Video Game companies into making a video game on his bloated ego. So no big threat from that front.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:39 am Reply with quote
All annoyances with over-protective and hyper-sensitive parents aside, what the heck is a "Problem Solver?" I don't believe I've heard that term used to refer to an official before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:51 am Reply with quote
Oh, to comment "politely" about this story:

http://www.local6.com/contact/index.html

Here is my response:

Quote:
In response to your "problem solvers" story about a young girl getting manga from the local library and parents getting shocked by the material, you could've done a better job in your story, as it seems completely bias and decietful.

Manga is not only about dealing with social issues like rape and drug useage, but also a form of escapism that many folks enjoy on a daily basis. I just wanna ask those parents if they have sat down with their kids at least once to talk about drug abuse or how to fend off would-be rapists. I'm betting they allow their own kid to watch R-Rated movies and listen to Rap music that is loaded with violent themes. Given how our society today is more on the reactive than proactive side, I wouldn't be amused if the parents haven't done so already, and expect others to do the work for them. Also, as a capable and sound of mind human being, I do not like it when other folks dictate what I should watch and read or what my kids can or cannot read. If those parents don't want their kids to read such mangas, then don't force their opinions onto my lap. Tell them to either be a damn parent, or use protection when they make love.

In ending, I am ashamed and appalled that you are recklesly reporting like this. I hope that any further stories on this matter do weight both sides and question both sides evenly.

Oh, and you might wanna contact these guys: http://animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=8008
xstylus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:55 am Reply with quote
Heaven forbid that children should ever read anything that depicts anything other than sunshine, lollypops, and barney.

Be glad that they're even READING.
shikatamasu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:15 am Reply with quote
kyou nao wrote:
Okay. I swear. My first recation was "okay, and?" God, I feel that now a days everything is so *err* like you can't do anything without someone having some say so or griping about it. *rollseyes*

I totally agree. Now I can see the "politically correctness" police after manga and anime big time. I'm a pretty old fart, and I can't remember such exaggerated and blown out of proportion alarms, well except maybe during the MaCarthy era. But this c#&* has been growing and going on for some time, and not always pertaining to Anime. What they don't understand, they fear. I'm thinking that those parents out in America (that fear for their children's morals) walk them through life with blindfolds on. Now there is nothing wrong with raising your children the way you feel is right, but don't take that right away from someone else. Let them read manga, let them watch Anime, but if your not sure of the content, then as a parent take the time to watch or read it before you condemn it. That is what I did.
ShadowrazoR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:28 am Reply with quote
those complaining parents and the site seem to have convieniently "forgotten" the fact that those manga are rated 13+. now what the hell is a 11 years old girl doing with a 13+ rated book? it was the same with videogames(and still is). store sells kid mature-rated game. mom finds out. mom rants to local newspaper (OMG!!! BLOOD!!! VIOLENCE!!! SEX!!!). jack thompson comes to the rescue, ego and wallet first. i won't be surprised if a manga and anime's jack thompson shows up in a few weeks.

a lot of parents these days seem to want to shield their children's eyes from everything. they seem to forget that their precious 11 year olds get to see even worse stuff in the movies. why don't they complain about the movies? because it's a "art" form. they're "just like that". manga, anime, and videogames just haven't been accepted as an art form yet. jack thompson's trying to prevent videogames from becoming one, and fattening his wallet as part of the deal. but, when they do, and trust me, they will, all them bastard lawyers like thompson are gonna have to go pump gas to pay their bills.

whew.
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:10 am Reply with quote
Heh, I remember reading Christopher Pike books from the children's section of the library, back when I was in late elementary school.

...Yeah.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11