• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Masao Maruyama/MAPPA Q&A

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:26 am Reply with quote
Okay, this is literally the first time I've heard that Maruyama doesn't work at Madhouse anymore...

What the hell happened?

If there was an obvious question that should've been asked, it would be this.

It's also getting my mind wondering if this is also why people like Araki and Hamasaki work at other studios now too.

EDIT:

This was apparently confirmed a year ago?

http://boardreader.com/thread/Anime_age_Masao_Maruyama_founder_of_Madh_27cX9eue.html

I am just scratching my head right now.
blacotaku1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Okay, this is literally the first time I've heard that Maruyama doesn't work at Madhouse anymore...

What the hell happened?

If there was an obvious question that should've been asked, it would be this.

It's also getting my mind wondering if this is also why people like Araki and Hamasaki work at other studios now too.

I was wondering the same. I though MAPPA was just a branch of Madhouse. Well, Kids on the Slope is awesome so lets just hope this new found freedom is what he needed to put out some quality work.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Forget doing a Pluto anime, do a 20th Century Boys one! I know it had live-action movies, which were fine, but I'd love to see my favorite manga in animated form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Forget doing a Pluto anime, do a 20th Century Boys one! I know it had live-action movies, which were fine, but I'd love to see my favorite manga in animated form.

The problem is that Masayuki Kojima might still be at Madhouse...

(that and he has already moved onto feature film... I'm actually worried at his future in this area and whether or not he'll have enough power to command all the resources he normally does now with Maruyama out of the picture; Tibetan Dog was a great movie, but I don't think it made a lot of money since it feels like no one actually saw the thing)

This news is HUGE (and sort of explains why some of the talent like Araki and Hamasaki are at other studios now); I don't understand why it isn't more common knowledge and it's probably why people kept asking about Madhouse productions because everyone thinks he's still actually at the studio.

My mind is pretty blown right now.
Yerld

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

The problem is that Masayuki Kojima might still be at Madhouse...

He left Madhouse before Maruyama. As far as I can tell, all their signature staff departed through 2010 and 2011.

Quote:
This news is HUGE (and sort of explains why some of the talent like Araki and Hamasaki are at other studios now); I don't understand why it isn't more common knowledge and it's probably why people kept asking about Madhouse productions because everyone thinks he's still actually at the studio.

Maruyama announced the new company at AX '11. Most people don't much pay attention to these things, plus he may have caused some confusion by mentioning that he was still involved with Madhouse (presumably under a contract in which he would make himself available if Madhouse needed help finishing what he started).
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Yerld wrote:

He left Madhouse before Maruyama. As far as I can tell, all their signature staff departed through 2010 and 2011.

Presumably after Tibetan Dog then... this is shocking news too (the idea that he actually left before Maruyama) and I'm very curious about where he ends up now.

But yes... for the most part, google research reveals that most of this news is pretty much just a few forum posts over at Neogaf from like a year ago.

It's definitely not common knowledge amongst English speakers, I'm assuming.

I don't know what to say about all this.
Bonham

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
With the new studio, are there any new genres you'd like to tackle? "Back when I was at MADHOUSE, my stance was that we should do anything we can -- we'd do anything. If the artist wanted to do something, I'd say 'do it!' My stance at the new studio really hasn't changed. But one of my fetishes is that I want to create animation that other people aren't interested in creating."

I'm more than cool with this.

Like DKL, I've missed a lot of these shake-ups, which don't seem to be advertised all that well, for whatever reason. (I'm never sure to what degree Japanese fans, or American fans, actually care about directors and producers.) The industry is really a lot different from the middle of the last decade.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
DKL:
Quote:

What the hell happened?

No one bought their anime, because the effing otaku in Japan just want to jerk off to moe, so they had to sell out to TMS/NTV. That, and they probably got screwed on royalties from sleazy middle-men, like every animation studio in Japan not named Toei, Ghibli, and Pierrot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1