• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Folktales from Japan (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehh123

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote

Folktales from Japan

Genres: comedy
Themes: folklore

Plot Summary: Like in any culture, Japanese kids grow up listening to the stories repeatedly told by their parents and grandparents. The boy born from a peach; the princess from the moon who is discovered inside a bamboo; the old man who can make a dead cherry tree blossom, etc. These short stories that teach kids to see both the dark and bright sides of life have passed traditional moral values from generation to generation.
----------------------------------

I will admit that this show is not aimed at anime fans at all. It is for kids. That being said, I am glad that an anime distributor like Crunchyroll has decided to license a kid's anime that isn't meant to sell anything.

There are some things you can admire about the show. While the animation and art is simplistic, I like how the art style changes for each story. I also like Akira Emoto and Yoneko Matsukane as the narrators. At their age, they sound like grandparents which is appropriate.

I love folktales and Japanese culture. If you are not into either, this anime is not for you. Even then, as the case with some folktales, the stories will start to sound a little repetitive. (I get it! Don't be greedy!) I just hope they can get to "The Tongue Cut Sparrow" and/or "Momotaro". Also, the fact that they are dedicating this to the people of Tohoku who were most affected by last year's earthquake and tsunami (some of the folktales shown came from that region) is admirable to say the least.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Folktales when it started, but I just kind of stopped watching after 7 episodes. I intend to catch back up, up I don't really feel much of a need to do so right now. How many episodes will it be in total?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing it's open ended. I started a slightly off-topic conversation about Folktales in another thread recently and EireformContinent mentioned that its precursor series that it seems to be emulating, Manga Nihon Mukashi Banashi, aired for almost 20 years. So... I wouldn't suggest waiting for it to end, they apparently have a lot to work with. Wink

What I'm really starting to appreciate is how these tales show the values and character of Japan through these tales. Many western tales, especially the relatively youthful folktales of America focus on persevering and succeeding on self reliance and an unwavering determination. But the folktales told in this series focus mostly on the importance of humility and the folly of pride-- not exactly the stuff of Beowulf. It really runs counter to the common criticism that you heard early on, that all fairy tales are alike, so watching this won't show you anything you aren't familiar with.

There were some really good ones recently. Both "Straw Headman" and "God of the Bathroom" were great ones from episode 16 and this week had "The Painted Wife". The season even began with a pretty good telling of "Orihime and Hikoboshi" in episode 14- neglecting only to tell us why people make wishes on bamboo leaves for them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I agree - The Painted Wife and Orihime and Hikoboshi really stood out for me. Interesting that both have love stories at their core. It gave them an emotional clout that many others lack. Perserverance and hard work are frequently portrayed as admirable qualities. There are also strong streaks of fatalism and irony.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Just stumbled on this link while looking up this week's "The Listening Hood," which seemed like it must be a very local variation of the tale, considering that the Dragon King was a fish and his daughter apparently wasn't Otohime.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3830153/Japanese-Folk-Tales-by-Yanagita-Kunio-translated-by-Fanny-Hagin-Mayer

Very different version about an old man who wants to worship his local god properly and is given the hood in gratitude. No Dragon Palace at all. In this version he poses as a fortune teller to relay the story about a snake who was trapped in the roof for years. There's no tale about the gold piece but there is one where he listens to trees to determine what to do about a Camphor tree stump under a house that can't die completely unless it's entirely dug up.

I'm not surprised that there are variations of the tale but I was surprised at the large differences in that one.

I'll have to spend some time reading more of that book later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What I'm really starting to appreciate is how these tales show the values and character of Japan through these tales. Many western tales, especially the relatively youthful folktales of America focus on persevering and succeeding on self reliance and an unwavering determination. But the folktales told in this series focus mostly on the importance of humility and the folly of pride-- not exactly the stuff of Beowulf.

You know, Beowulf is a tale words apart- an epic for knights, not a folktale. For Western equivalents you should sears in collections of legends (Child's Ballads, Andersen or Grimm). I'd say that lots of them promote humility and some plots seem to be the same ones, just in different decorations, like the story of peasant who was granted the ability to speak animal language presented Manga Nihon Mukashi Banashi and recorded in my region about 200 years ago. Really, the more you know, the more they seem familiar- at least all people have the same needs.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Just stumbled on this link while looking up this week's "The Listening Hood," which seemed like it must be a very local variation of the tale, considering that the Dragon King was a fish and his daughter apparently wasn't Otohime.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3830153/Japanese-Folk-Tales-by-Yanagita-Kunio-translated-by-Fanny-Hagin-Mayer

...I'm not surprised that there are variations of the tale but I was surprised at the large differences in that one.

Yanagita Kunio himself also talked about the variation handed down in Amami Ōshima in which the man got a magical thing to understand birds' words from the god at the mythical place in the sea.
In a radio programme, Yanagita Kunio said:
Quote:
 日本にある鳥言葉の昔話は、私の集めた日本昔話集に、聽耳頭巾といふ名で出て居るのがその一例であります。是は岩手縣の猿ヶ石川流域で採取せられましたが、是と半分似通うた聽耳笠の話は、他の一方の國の端、鹿兒島縣下の喜界島にも傳はつて居り、又その隣の奄美大島にも、やゝ完全に近い形で一つ殘つて居るのです。東北の方の聽耳頭巾は、被ると鳥の言葉がすつかり判る赤い頭巾でありました。或一人の貧乏で信心深いぢい樣が、氏神のお稻荷樣から頂戴したことになつて居りますが、又この近傍には今一つ、狐を助けた恩返しに、狐の親から貰つて來た聽耳草紙といふ寶物を耳に當てますと、鳥獸蟲の聲がすべて人間の言葉に聞えるといふ話もありまして、雙方ともにそれを聽いて、長者の一人娘の大病の原因を知り、すぐに直してやつて澤山の御禮を受け、仕合せがよくなるといふ點は一つであります。一方南の端の奄美大島の話は、発端が浦島太郞とよく似て居ります。龍宮の御姬樣がきれいな鯛になつて遊んで居て、大きな魚にいぢめられて居る處へ、或一人の男が行合せて助けます。さうすると龍宮からの御使の女が迎へに來ました。南の島々では龍宮卽海の底の都のことを、ネリヤ又はニルヤと謂つて居ります。そのネリヤへ連れて行かれる途中で、使の女が敎へてくれますには、あちらへ行けばネリヤの神樣が、きつと御禮には何を上げようかと問はれるに相異ない。その時は金銀などゝ言はないで、キキミミといふ物を下さいと言ふやうにと敎へてくれました。さうしてそれを持つて還ると、鳥の言葉が皆わかるのであります。それで雀のいふことを聽いて居て、川の飛石が皆黃金だつたことを知り、それを持つて來て大金持ちになります。其次は又鳥の言葉から、殿樣の最愛の姬君の大病が蛇の祟りであることを知つて、早速それを直してあげて姬の御聟樣に立身するのです。喜界島の方では聽耳笠を被ると、樹の上で烏が二羽、話をして居るのがよくわかり、それで親の病氣の元を知つて直したといふのですが、この南北四つの昔話は元來同じ話だつたやうに思はれます。

The variation included in Yanagita's Japanese Folk Tales is one which was collected in Kamihei-gun.
Kamihei-gun once included Tōno, which is famous for Tōno Monogatari.

EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
ehh123 wrote:
I will admit that this show is not aimed at anime fans at all. It is for kids.

I don't care, I've gotten hooked on it anyway. Very Happy
(I'm almost halfway through my free month of Crunchyroll, and SHOULD be catching up on my BSP and Sword Art Online while I have the chance, but I know what I keep sitting down with before bed...)

I only know a handful of the classics--those which have already been parodied on UY--I've gotten a feel for the recurring rhythms that usually show up in Japanese tales, and can now move on to the more obscure and lesser-known ones that inevitably end up parodied on Sgt. Frog.

Quote:
I love folktales and Japanese culture. If you are not into either, this anime is not for you. Even then, as the case with some folktales, the stories will start to sound a little repetitive. (I get it! Don't be greedy!)

And don't foist cheap imitations on your market! Don't ask questions about free stuff!

Quote:
There are some things you can admire about the show. While the animation and art is simplistic, I like how the art style changes for each story. I also like Akira Emoto and Yoneko Matsukane as the narrators. At their age, they sound like grandparents which is appropriate.

The stories seem to follow a pattern from episode to episode:
The first tale is always one of the "essential" classics, the second is a more obscure cultural one, and the third is usually a funny humor-punchline story--Which has some of the "cute" comic timing from the comfortable 90's old-school comedies for the younger kids.
Basically for the Doraemon crowd, but what's wrong with a comparison like that? Smile

Quote:
I just hope they can get to "The Tongue Cut Sparrow" and/or "Momotaro". Also, the fact that they are dedicating this to the people of Tohoku who were most affected by last year's earthquake and tsunami (some of the folktales shown came from that region) is admirable to say the least.

Ah, so THAT'S what the "rebuilding" in the next-week promos refers to! Thought they were implying that the next preschool cellphone generation didn't know their classic hometown stories.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I hope "Folktales from Japan" is licensed and brought to America and dubbed into English. I'd love to see it and I think it would be fascinating to see folktales from another culture. It would be a great educational experience for both young and old alike. And,it's unique style makes it different from other anime brought to America.
And I also hope that hyojodoji would provide an English translation of what Yanagita Kunio said on that radio program. I have no idea what he said and I doubt that few here know Japanese.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster, I just want to make sure, you only watch dubbed anime, right?
If that's your choice, and there may be good reasons for not being able to watch subtitled anime, there's not a problem with it

But after all, Crunchyroll makes it freely available, it has, technically, already been "brought to America," just not dubbed... and I see almost zero chance of it being dubbed professionally, the only slim chance would be if some open-minded children's programmer tried to do it, like PBS.
It would at least be cheap to dub, if they kept the same two narrator set-up the original has.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1