• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Full Moon wo Sagashite is licensed to R1 by VIZ

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treatment

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Heads up.

AoD's already reporting it since one of the forum-members spotted it at a TRSI listing.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, pretty cool. Sure took them a long time to license it though. I'll probably watch it since I've heard it's very good. No, I don't care if it's a shoujo.
CyberViper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:00 pm Reply with quote
That's exciting! Full Moon wo Sagashite was one of the best animes i've ever seen! I was wondering why it hadn't been licensed yet and when it was going to be.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:55 am Reply with quote
CyberViper wrote:
That's exciting! Full Moon wo Sagashite was one of the best animes i've ever seen! I was wondering why it hadn't been licensed yet and when it was going to be.

Why hadn't it been licensed? The singing is sure to cause a major headache in dubbing, and there may have been some license wrangling over the music like in Kodocha. I'm happy to see that it got licensed, but I'm kind of disappointed to see that it was Viz. . .I mean, this is the company that operates on the "Non-Japanese-speaking anime fans don't really need to know what song lyrics mean" philosophy and cuts corners by not subtitling songs (SaiKano, Ayashi no Ceres, early episodes of Key the Metal Idol). For a show like FMwS, this is definitely a problem, as roughly 25% of the time is filled by singing. Actually, I shouldn't be surprised that it was Viz, since they have the manga. However, inadequate treatment of songs = no money from me, and I wouldn't feel guilty for sticking to fansubs.

EDIT: Regarding song dubbing, I actually do like their work on Key the Metal Idol, so maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel after all, other than the oncoming train of course Twisted Evil

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:57 am Reply with quote
Watch, Viz is going to dub the songs.
CyberViper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:07 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:

That would be a shame...I loved the songs from this show so much! They were some of the best songs/music from any anime i've ever listened to. If they really do dub the songs I honestly hope they do a darn good job.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:13 am Reply with quote
CyberViper wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:

That would be a shame...I loved the songs from this show so much! They were some of the best songs/music from any anime i've ever listened to. If they really do dub the songs I honestly hope they do a darn good job.

As it would, but considering that Viz only gives us song subs once in a blue moon, signs point to eather them being dubbed, or not subbed.
Gauss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:27 am Reply with quote
The main problem is that the lead singer for The Scanty (the band that does the openers) has an incredibly nasal voice. It takes time to get used to it, especially as it's the largely untrained voice of the typical pop singer. As such I wouldn't be too surprised if VIZ dubs the songs. Unfortunately it probably means they get somebody with a more pleasant voice for the openers but who in turn can't compare with an accomplished singer like Myco (who sings the endings as the lead in the band Changin' My Life).

If VIZ doesn't dub the songs, then it's absolutely crucial they provide karaoke for the openers and endings. It's even harder to like The Scanty if you have no clue what they are singing.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:32 am Reply with quote
I apologize for the space spamming that I'm about to commit. . .

I wrote this to Viz on their online contact form regarding FMwS:

My Letter to Viz wrote:

TO: Viz Media, Inc. (Domestic Licensing)
RE: Full Moon wo Sagashite, AKA "Full Moon" Video Animation

Dear Sir or Madam,

I learned of your company's licensing of this product today, and I believe I speak for many anime fans when I say that I'm glad that this anime series has been licensed for Region 1 distribution. Even though Full Moon is intended for young girls, I, as a twenty-four year-old male, enjoyed it greatly. However, I have a few questions regarding the content of the DVDs. As you may know, Full Moon is an anime largely concerned with music and singing, and as such my questions relate to the handling of the songs.

1) Will the English language track feature English dubbed versions of the openings, endings, or songs sung within the episodes, or will they be left in Japanese? (This question is primarily for curiosity's sake.)

2) For any songs sung in Japanese (whether featured on the English audio track or the Japanese audio track), will there be subtitle translations of the song lyrics?

I ask question (2) because I own a number of Viz Media products that do not provide subtitles for songs, specifically Saishuu Heiki Kanjo ("SaiKano") and Ayashi no Ceres ("Ceres, Celestial Legend"). Unfortunately, many fans have been led by these trends to believe that Viz Media might not provide subtitles for the songs in Full Moon on the upcoming DVDs. Given that the songs form a significant portion of the Full Moon's content and running time, I feel that failure to provide translation of anything (excluding minor background dialogue) that appears in Japanese audio would consitute an incomplete localization of this or any product.

As you are no doubt aware, various fan-created and otherwise unauthorized versions of the Full Moon anime have been in circulation for some time via Internet Peer-to-Peer networks and pirated DVDs. At least one of these versions contains full translations of these songs, including the English lyrics, the romanized Japanese lyrics and Japanese text. While I understand that it is not feasible to include all of this information on DVDs, I wish to emphasize that fans will desire subtitles for the songs in Full Moon, and the absence of such subtitles may cause fans to skirt copyright law and either seek out unauthorized versions or keep what they may already have in lieu of purchasing DVDs.

As a fan who downloads fan-subtitled anime to sample titles yet unlicensed for Region 1 distribution, I am willing to buy DVDs of shows that I enjoy, especially if they, like Full Moon, are not "mainstream" titles. Unfortunately, I have a hard time justifying the purchase of DVDs that lack sufficient translations for those not fluent in Japanese, especially when sufficient translations are available elsewhere. I believe I also speak for many anime fans in feeling this way.

I hope that my concerns are unfounded, and that you can tell me, "Yes, the songs in Full Moon are subtitled." But if they are not, I urge that steps be taken to correct this problem on future DVDs; for reasons described above, I believe it to be in Viz Media's business interests to provide these subtitles, lest the fans turn to illegal versions in a form of protest.

Once again, my thanks for licensing this product that many thought to be "un-dubbable"; I hope for its success in sales and popularity.

Sincerely,

[name omitted for this post, suckaz]

P.S. If licensing arrangements with the Japanese copyright holders of the music has prevented Viz Media from localizing the songs (as happened with Funimation Entertainment and their localization of Kodomo no omocha (AKA "Kodocha" or "Child's Toy"), then I fully understand that any translation omissions are not the fault of Viz Media.

(okay, I know there are some subtle threats in there, but I think there's truth in them)

If I get any reply, I'll post it here, though of course they had the standard message of, "We receive a large volume of e-mail that makes it impossible to understand to everything personally."
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm in agreement with you Zalis. I certainly won't feel enthused in buying the DVD's if they lack subtitles for the songs... in fact, I'd go as far as to say that even a casual buyer will be confused from the very first DVD release unless the song is dubbed or includes the subtitles.

If they actually change their policies and include the subtitles - then they hold a better chance in actually selling it. I'm taking a wait and see attitude here, but I suspect that they will be "business as usual" and due to that, see a lack of sales beyond the initial volume.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Haha.. it would be funny if the american studios also cast a singer... but then again, they don't have a very big budget do they?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1