• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Full Moon licensed by Viz, vol 1 in June

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reeko

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
No credit to me for telling? xD Oh well. Yay Full Moon!
holl.e.rama

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I saw this the other day and was excited! Full Moon wo Sagashite is one of my favorite series and I'm so happy it's licensed! (even though I've seen it). I really wonder how they're going to do it. Singing is so much a part of the show, so are they going to record English versions of the songs or are they just going to leave the singing in the original Japanese? If they do record it in English I hope they get a good singer for it (though they probably won't be as good as myco <3 )
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
... And there was much rejoicing.

The only thing I'm worried about is whether Viz will sub the songs or not. I hear they don't usually sub songs for some reason. The songs are as important as the dialogue in this show, so I would be very disappointed if Viz doesn't sub the songs.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I guess all I can say is about time.
This was one show very well deserving of a release.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
This was purely academic if you noted the addition to the upcoming release list, but it's good to make things official.

LET THE FEAR AND LOATHING ABOUT MUSIC BEGIN!!
Emichan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Gah, I was dismayed to hear that yet another series I enjoyed a lot is going to Viz, one of my least favorite anime companies here -_- I mean.. Viz can't even manage to subtitle the opening and ending songs to any of their series, and they license a show that is like... ALL SONGS...
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
it would be funny if someone hired a singer to do mitsuki like in the japanese version
though i doubt they have the budget..
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Let's try and look at this as positively as possible. Is there anyone in the Ocean Group that can sing? Moneca Stori, perhaps?
Serge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:00 am Reply with quote
Emichan wrote:
Gah, I was dismayed to hear that yet another series I enjoyed a lot is going to Viz, one of my least favorite anime companies here -_- I mean.. Viz can't even manage to subtitle the opening and ending songs to any of their series, and they license a show that is like... ALL SONGS...

Exactly, I hate when they do that, and also they never translate on-screen stuff.

I'm also glad it's Licensed, but not to these people, ADV Films would have been better.
Asakomi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
Well, beggars can't be choosers, really. It's better than nothing, imo.
aluria

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:27 am Reply with quote
I knew it got licensed a few months ago though I didn't know it was Viz. I will now cries my eyes out as I contemplate the dubbed version of Full Moon wo Sagashite by Viz. I mean, they already did a horrible translation of the manga, now they gotta go complete the set by dubbing Full Moon. *cries* Why!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CyberViper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
This was also one of my favorite series! It would be a shame to see them butcher the music since it was a key part in the anime (duh?).
Anyway, i'm going to pray that if they do dub the songs they better have one heck of a singer! I think it'd be better to just leave the songs as they are...
Otherwise they better not ruin the image of this amazing anime. I'll never forgive them! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Who knows, maybe they'll surprise everyone!
Who am I kidding?
Asakomi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:48 am Reply with quote
I don't watch dubs anyway... so I guess maybe that's why I'm not as upset..
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:02 am Reply with quote
Asakomi wrote:
Well, beggars can't be choosers, really. It's better than nothing, imo.

But in this case, there is something "better than nothing" already out there. I know this is a controversial topic, and I don't want to sound biased, but I think we can all agree that no song subtitles = Viz gets pwned by fansubs. Sure, they probably won't have fancy karaoke, but what R1 discs do?
I'm willing to buy 13 discs of this show, but why pay money for a potentially half-assed effort when one can get a qualitatively better version for free?

(Note, I'm not saying that Viz's production is automatically half-assed, but it will be if the songs aren't subtitled. Nor am I saying it's always right to get things for free rather than pay for them--however, why pay for the "professional," official version if the professionals do a worse job than the amateurs.)

However, Viz did produce some decent English singing on Key the Metal Idol, so there is some potential here.

There has been discussion about this in a thread on the Anime forum here, and I wrote an online comment to Viz expressing the concerns that I (and many other fans) have about the subtitling. If I hear anything back (not likely), I'll post it. Perhaps snail mail will make a larger impact.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:47 am Reply with quote
Full Moon o Sagashite, one of the greatest anime titles ever, licensed by such sleezy and low company Viz. The news that it's finally coming out on DVD is good news, but the license holder isn't good news at all.
Subtitles are not good, and also the dub studios they use are just awful.
Viz is on the bottom of my list. I'd rather have the anime licensed at least by FUNimation or something of that caliber.

Sheesh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3