• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast -The I.G Crowd

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Really really hoping this works out for them. They crossed the $90K mark today, so $60K to go!

They seem very enthusiastic about this, which I like, and that they're trying to do right by the fans, which is awesome. Best of luck to them!
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I loved listening to this ANNCast. It makes me so excited. Very informational. Thank you Maki, Justin, Eunyoung and Aymeric for making the time and effort to participate in this! I very much appreciate it!

Annnnnnd BAM! Just donated $60! Oh man, I hope this works out. This is my first time donating to a Kickstarter project.

<3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fanclub

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
If anything deserves a first post this has to be it. I look all the time for any news about what Yuasa is doing these days and now I find out I have the chance to contribute directly to the completion of his new project.

Definitely donating and no doubt they will get the $150,000. Cannot wait to see the result! If only they could get the 1 million, I would love to see the movie.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
This was a really neat episode. I liked hearing from people who are directly involved in producing anime.

I really like this project. The premise is splendidly daft and I like the possibility that it represents. Listening to this episode got me to stop equivocating and pledge $60 to the project. I knew that I would back it and figured that I'd back it at that level, but there was some requisite hemming and hawing to get through.

Interestingly and perhaps tellingly, the lower tier amounts show few backers. There are none at the $1 level. They pick up considerably with a lot at the $60 level.

I want more interesting, oddball, idiosyncratic anime and this is a potentially a good way to let me put my money where my mouth is. I sincerely hope that this succeeds so I get to see a buff secret wrestler Nun, but even to encourage other directors to pursue similar projects. I couldn't help but combine what one of the guests said about other creators using the method with what Masao Maruyama mentioned about how Shinichirō Watanabe's projects kept getting cancelled during development. Probably wishful thinking, but if I see his name on a Kickstarter project I might just be driven to post that obnoxious, "shut up and take my money," picture, because that's what I'd want.

It'd be really neat to see a full feature or television series (perhaps an OVA would be a good middle ground) funded this way. It would be interesting and possibly enlightening to see what we could get out of anime liberated from merchandising and the soulless calculations of demographic appeal by a production committee. It's not hard to get too excited about this and go wild with expectations, but while a string of short subjects would be just fine, I would really like to see this go further. Aniplex releases that cost my first born son along with enough arms and legs that I need to expose myself radiation I can live without. Laying out considerable sums to allow exceptional creative talents to pursue their ambitions, however, feels more appealing.

Yet, even though what's been exciting people so far is the possibilities that this represents for auteur animators, I wonder if it could be turned less creator driven projects. Rather than 'new project from Masaaki Yuasa', might we see 'Slice of Life, one of the girls has an eyepatch and another is the lead's flat-chested tsundere sister with a brother complex'?* The Japanese fanbase for anime has shown great willingness to pay a lot of money for what they want, so it seems, in the depths of my ignorance, conceivable to me that they might become willing to pay for it on the front end too. I suspect that creator-driven versus consumer-driven might be a significant divide within fandom, but both sides have strong desires for what they want that might some day be able to sustain such projects.

Whatever the case, it's a very cool possibility. As I write this, the project has 1,299 backers (I was 1,298th), $91,261 raised and eighteen days left. I think that the odds are pretty good that we'll get to see Kick-Heart. What comes next, I obviously don't know. It might all end up as nothing, but even if it does, well, at least somebody tried.

*The highest tier reward is adding additional eyepatches.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I'd dearly like to contribute to the project but I noticed that some of the rewards listed (DVD, poster etc) on the kickstarter page need to be mailed out to the donors and was wondering if people who live outside the US would be able to get them as well?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
This is a Japanese project, so sending stuff to NZ or Oz would be no more difficult than to America. The material being sent is DRM-free and region-free so our location won't be a problem as far as that is concerned.

BTW, I'm backer #1303. How could I not, after my rants about Kaiba, Mind Game and Kemonozume in the What are you watching now? Why? thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
They just upgraded the rewards, making them even more appealing, including t-shirts, OSTs, etc. I bumped my pledge to the next tier.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I just noticed the pledge upgrades. Shocked (Yes, I'm a tiny bit slow).

And the $100 upgrade includes a soundtrack OST. Oh noooo. Noooo.

I have 18 days left to decide.
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
This is a Japanese project, so sending stuff to NZ or Oz would be no more difficult than to America. The material being sent is DRM-free and region-free so our location won't be a problem as far as that is concerned.

Thanks for clearing that up. Since they had a rep from IG USA (plus the way it's marketed so far) I thought I'd check if they're only targeting the US...

Now to sign up and and become part of something great!
lem

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
ah Production I.G, oh man the possibility of more GITS - SAC. that would be something. something like torture now that I think just how long before it will ever happen. Or not.

but I'm pretty excited about this way of bringing a new animated project to market. as for Kick-Heart proper, I'm in for the pencil drawings. It will be cool to see just how far this little ripple will flow.

from their page, which takes you to Amazon for confirmation:
(Pledge $500 or more
15 backers Limited (35 of 50 left)
[ The Cactus Clothesline ] "Kick-Heart" Blu-ray (1080p) + "Kick-Heart" HD Digital Download (720p) + "Making of Kick-Heart" Digital Download (720p) + Character Designs PDF + Background Art PDF +Digital Storyboard PDF + 1 Giclee "Kick-Heart" illustration print signed by Masaaki Yuasa + Special "Gold Sponsor" website credit+A series of original key frame animation (Approximately 10-30 pencil-drawn original pictures)
Estimated delivery: Apr 2013)
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote
Donnated $5 so I can see how the finished product turns out. What a cool idea.
db5007

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for listening and showing your support. We really are moved by how many people have offered to help us on our little project. From people in the industry, to fans across the world offering to translate into their native language, to the backers themselves-- its been amazing. It really means so much to all of us. My hope is that if this goes well, we can keep on trying more project like this.

Thanks everyone!
Justin Leach
Producer
Kick-heart
Nephtis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Great to hear the voices behind the faces. Best of luck with the production and remaining funds - hoping my healthy donation can contribute to something unique and amazing! In my mind there's no better creator to test the waters with than Yuasa, his work is wildly creative and far from mainstream anime (let alone mainstream media). I cannot wait to see the final product, and will be keenly watching the updates.

I'm re-watching all of his Australian-released work this month and am particularly keen on seeing Choi's work in Kaiba and Tatami Galaxy in closer detail.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
This episode was really interesting, it's always interesting to here perspective from the people working on the anime. One thing of note from my perspective, this basically made me stop and think that one reason we likely don't see the "auteur" works get funded is because the people with the money are just like the artists that people who wrote the latest fanfic ask Answerman about.

If I have money, I either want one of two things, either 1) I want to make MORE money (ie. a "wise" investment that will give me a worthwhile return) or 2) I want to see MY vision produced. There are always a few exceptions where I might be obscenely wealthy and decide to be a patron for someone, but more realistically, it's one of the above scenarios. This has obviously been proven out with the otaku fanboys, but in a way, I feel like it's proven out with most of the "auteur" works as well. Making a work FOR the "critics" is commercially pointless because the critics often don't PAY for the work (in fact, most are paid to watch it).

I'm curious how the kickstarter model would hold up over the long haul for the "auteur" works. It seems like this first one is a novelty, and all the "artists" (and also fans) will support it because the CONCEPT is great. (I include myself in this set btw) But once you get past the first or maybe the second one, how many would support a third, or a fourth unless it is what YOU want? Which brings it back to the initial thought. Lots of people SAY they want more "artistic" works, but how many would pony up the cash to let people experiment? We KNOW the otaku corps will toss out cash if it looks cute, are the "auteur" community willing to CONTINUALLY support experimentation if some or even most of it fails to impress?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:09 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Rather than 'new project from Masaaki Yuasa', might we see 'Slice of Life, one of the girls has an eyepatch and another is the lead's flat-chested tsundere sister with a brother complex'?* The Japanese fanbase for anime has shown great willingness to pay a lot of money for what they want, so it seems, in the depths of my ignorance, conceivable to me that they might become willing to pay for it on the front end too. I suspect that creator-driven versus consumer-driven might be a significant divide within fandom, but both sides have strong desires for what they want that might some day be able to sustain such projects.

The slice-of-life moé stuff (which I adore) doesn't really need Kickstarters because the people who like it already support it financially through their purchases of the anime and merchandise, which is why more of it comes out. That being said, if there was a Kickstarter to fund production of a 2nd TV series of Ichigo Mashimaro/Strawberry Marshmallow (or even just another couple of OVA episodes), I'd happily contribute at least a little (and then a little more if I had a job). Same with a 2nd series of Kamichu!, or even more K-On!. The only non-moé anime I'd help to Kickstart would be more Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, and that's still "slice of life", just with cute robot girls instead of cute schoolgirls.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1