• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Launch Day

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Interestingly, I'm getting Sonic Racing Whatever on WiiU since it's 5-players offline as opposed to 4 on PS3/360.

Also, Hitman is probably gonna be the best thing out next week... didn't play the demo or whatever, mind you, but Square Enix's published content has been pretty godlike for a minute.

I may consider getting on PS+ at some point in time where I can't keep up with the game releases anymore, but that's probably not gonna happen on the VITA any time soon since I really only have my eye on Soul Sacrifice at this point.

It is a good deal, however... I used to be fairly convinced that XBL was the better service (assuming you wanted to play online: community is larger and general netplay ran smoother from my experience; I don't know half the people on my PSN friend's list), but Sony really stepped their game up by giving you free games.

LASTLY, if you get the Deluxe WiiU, Nintendo seems to have this program where you get 600 points back for every full game purchase you make on the eShop...

That's a pretty good deal and I may do it for games that don't come with a pre-order bonus or whatever... which may be a lot of games, depending on the publisher.

That said, I'm not completely aware of how the program works (are the points only applicable towards WiiU purchases? Or can I get 3DS stuff too? I'd like to have enough points to get Shantae by the time that thing comes out) and my impressions of it might change once I actually start using the thing.

Anyway... yeah... big week next week.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The developers might've dug deeper into the Sony catalog. Perhaps Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are too dignified for a fighter, but what about or Jen from Primal

What about Crash Bandicoot, Jill Valentine, Cloud Strife, Solid Snake, Spyro, or SubZero? Sad

Also, I can't wait to play Persona 4 Golden. I have watched Atlus' preview videos of the game and Teddie's new voice actor is pretty good. Sadly, the one voicing Chie delivers some line poorly (she often sounds like an 8 year old) as if the dub of Golden was recorded even before than Persona 4 Arena.

Quote:
Remember me? I'm MegaMan

Capcom CEO: ...Who?
thepsychogamer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
The WiiU launch line up seems pretty bad for any one who already owns an HD console.
kanechin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I'll wait for the wii u to go down to at least $200.
Spoiler alert, adventure time spoiler[sucks, a lot]
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: I still have my copy. The game is going to be a collector's item pretty soon.

Masuno Leaves Level-5: What, again? I guess he's trying to expand his horizons.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed: Interesting cast for this one. Ulala, Ralph and Vyse are all more than enough reason to try it out.

Persona 4: Golden: A grand shame Wittenberg isn't voicing Teddie anymore, but thank goodness that vile Tracey Rooney is replaced. She had to be the most unprofessional voice I've ever heard in a game that has actual pros taking their jobs seriously (and she will never be forgiven for her awful performance in Cross Edge). Good riddance, and may she never voice another character in a game again. Sucks Marie isn't actually playable because a lot of people were wondering about that when she first popped up. The party needs another female combatant anyway. But wow, a Social Link with Adachi, that one calls for a hiimdaisy comic dub special. XP

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale: Todd, I don't think I'd want some of my favorite RPG heroes from Dark Cloud 2, Wild Arms or Jeanne D'Arc being in this rather insipid venture. O_o

kanechin wrote:
Spoiler alert, adventure time spoiler[sucks, a lot]

That's no surprise. The show is retarded anyway, so the game can't be any better.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Persona 4: Golden: A grand shame Wittenberg isn't voicing Teddie anymore, but thank goodness that vile Tracey Rooney is replaced. She had to be the most unprofessional voice I've ever heard in a game that has actual pros taking their jobs seriously (and she will never be forgiven for her awful performance in Cross Edge). Good riddance, and may she never voice another character in a game again.

I respect your opinion. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum myself. I loved Rooney's Chie but I'm not really digging Erin Fitzgerald's version of Chie.

Also;
Wait, what?
TvC is going OOP?
FFFFFFFFFFF. I need to get on that.

That throws out any hope of mine for a sequel, with say more Tekkaman Blade characters (Evil? Rapier? Sol Tekkaman? Pegas?)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
I respect your opinion. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum myself. I loved Rooney's Chie but I'm not really digging Erin Fitzgerald's version of Chie.

Also;
Wait, what?
TvC is going OOP?
FFFFFFFFFFF. I need to get on that.

That throws out any hope of mine for a sequel, with say more Tekkaman Blade characters (Evil? Rapier? Sol Tekkaman? Pegas?)

I didn't see your post until after I put mine up, so I respect your opinion too, but mine wasn't directed as a counter to yours. I just give Erin more credit because she's a professional to me (switching from a meek innocent boy like Ion in Tales of the Abyss to a sweet little girl like Polka in Eternal Sonata and further to a succubus like Morrigan in Cross Edge shows she has quite some range with her voice). I'm not saying she's the perfect Chie, but she's certainly a cut above Rooney.

Tracey Rooney did fit the look and feel of Chie, but her emoting was terrible. She was even worse in Cross Edge as Miko; she had no sense of timing her lines or nailing the emotion in question and made the English dub awkward (everyone else was awesome in comparison). I can hear Erin having some rough spots with her dialogue though and that would turn off people who've stuck with P4 since the PS2 version.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Hurray! Some one else who cares about Macross II!
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Just a few little errors I'd like to point out.

First, in the overview of Nintendo Land, there is mention of a game called "Animal Crossing: One Sweet Day". The correct name of this game is "Animal Crossing: Sweet Day".

Second, in the overview of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, there is mention of "Sonic & All-Stars Racing", which is supposed to be the previous game in the series. The actual name of that game was "Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing", or if you purchased the Xbox 360 version of the game, "Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing with Banjo-Kazooie".

Finally, there's a few errors with the "rest" of games that are mentioned near the bottom.

-The game James Bond 007 Legends is actually called "007 Legends". James Bond is not part of this game's title. Also, 007 Legends is a launch title for the Wii U only Europe and Australia. It has a North American release date of the launch window for the Wii U, which ends on March 31 2013.

-Disney's Epic Mickey 2: The Power of 2's actual title is "Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two".

-Sing Party's name is styled as SiNG Party.

-Finally, Ben 10: Omniverse-The Video Game, like 007 Legends, will be available as a launch title only in Europe and Australia. It has a North American release date of the launch window.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Those same fans will also note that Teddie and Chie's original voices were replaced by the actors who took over the roles in the recent Persona 3 Arena.

Fix: Persona 4 Arena.

Anyways, even though I'm not getting Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed for Wii U, I will get it for PS3 (I actually pre-ordered it yesterday, so I'm looking forward to the Metal Sonic + OutRun DLC).

Edit
Still wishing I could get a Vita for Persona 4 The Golden, but I'll still wait for a price drop on the system and probably memory card. Maybe I'll get lucky and my friend let me play P4G on his Vita, or I can get (or borrow) a PS2 and play the original P4. All my P4 related fix that I experienced was playing P4A (Persona 4 Arena) and the anime adaption, Persona 4: The Animation.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Come on Todd, you can't criticize them for including Spike, and Radec when you suggest this crew:

Quote:
The developers might've dug deeper into the Sony catalog. Perhaps Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are too dignified for a fighter, but what about or Jen from Primal? What about the heroes of LocoRoco, Jeanne d'Arc, Wild Arms, Motor Toon Grand Prix, Arc the Lad, Okage, Gunners Heaven, Jumping Flash, Dark Cloud 2, or even the first PlayStation game, Crime Crackers? And what of Battle Arena Tōshinden's Sofia, perhaps the shortest-lived Sony mascot? I suspect she's not doing much nowadays.

Spike, and Radec may not be the most memorable characters themselves but they're in the game to represent their respective franchises, which would have had some complaints if they were ignored especially as both Ape Escape and Killzone are active IPs. The real travesty is the fact that SCE's most popular franchise isn't represented at all. Come on, if SEGA can do it so can you Superbot:

Laughing
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who finds it funny that a next gen console has 8 and 32 gb respectively, when current gen consoles have in the 100s. Thats way to small.

Also can we stop with Smash bros inventing that game style. It did not , it came out concurrently with power stone, which is actually the better series of the two. Smash only gets the benefit of having mario and zelda in every game, and people will buy just about anything with them in it.

And no Tatsunoke vs capcom wont be a collectors edition because it was printed in a fairly large quantity with the first few runs. You can pretty much walk into any gamestop and get it. Plus like the article said you can get it online for relatively a small amount. Most games only get reprinted if they are super successful and get greatest hits or platinium status. You dont have companies secretly printing five copies here and five copies there for all eternity, this news has little to no effect on the games price.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
I bought a Vita a couple months ago just for Persona 4 Golden, so I'm hyped like crazy. And this is coming from someone who has already beaten it twice and watched the Giant Bomb Endurance Run... I just can't get enough of this game. Easily my favorite game of the 3D gaming era.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Also can we stop with Smash bros inventing that game style. It did not , it came out concurrently with power stone, which is actually the better series of the two. Smash only gets the benefit of having mario and zelda in every game, and people will buy just about anything with them in it.

Personal opinions aside, Smash Bros is on a 2D plane and Power Stone is in a 3D space. That's a pretty big difference in gameplay. Considering that All-Stars is also on a 2D plane featuring characters from other games the comparison is quite apropos.

From the article:
Quote:
And for those who already went through Persona 4, you can skip through to the new material fairly quick.

Is this a feature? Or is it just easy to find the new content if you're already familiar with the game?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Is this a feature? Or is it just easy to find the new content if you're already familiar with the game?

Its a "Feature", but not one I'm gonna do. You can skip through text, but doing that will make the game kinda pointless to play... why even play an RPG if you're just gonna skip all the story, regardless of if you've played it before?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2