• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Int'l Manga Award Winner I Kill Giants Published in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I kill Giants is considered a manga? In any case, I enjoyed it.
sepherest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I kill Giants is considered a manga? In any case, I enjoyed it.

I never really thought of it as a manga either, unless it's just being used as an umbrella term because it's in Japan. This is great though, it was a really good series.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Great example of the gems constantly being put out by Image Comics. I highly recommend Image to anyone who wants to see what American comics have to offer besides superhero books (though they do publish some stellar superhero books as well).
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read I Kill Giants in a while. I do remember it being one of the best comics I've ever read though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
They should make an anime with English like the original! Laughing
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess if Peepo Choo could be considered "manga" in the technical sense then why not 'I Kill Giants'.

I had been curious about this title for sometime now. I was just talking to a co-worker today about it. We had attended a panel at either a past NYAF. Members of the ALA were attending and they gave out a list of graphic novels [manga included] to attending librarians. Then they gave a brief summary of some of their top picks. This title was one top recommendations. From what I got of it I was intrigued and felt that it was definitely something our library should have. After checking off any manga titles we already had, I passed the flyer onto my co-worker who's in charge of GNs. I pointed out that we needed to check on this title and that we should get it in. Our system for getting things ordered was always a little "wonky" as some things would fall through the cracks and this title was one of them. Years later, this title pops up again winning an award and I end up having a case of deja vu. The imagery looked familiar but was it what I was thinking of. After digging around I made the connection. So this time under out new system hopefully it gets ordered this time around. Surprised

This is great news. Well, Felipe Smith stated that all creators should strive to get their work published anywhere. Him being one example of creator who's work was published in Japan.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
...You guys DO know that "manga" is just the Japanese word for "comic" and literally means "indiscriminate pictures", right...?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
...You guys DO know that "manga" is just the Japanese word for "comic" and literally means "indiscriminate pictures", right...?

I've been known that for aeons, but I can't speak for anyone else but I'm sure folks know. Someone mentioned that on an earlier post relating to the same article.

A little lbrary lesson:
In our library (I've mentioned this on an older post last year) we catalog manga according to the call # Library of Congress (LC) gives a title. The cutter "J" that appears after the call # refers to location, meaning Japan, the location where it originated. It has nothing to do with the fact that the item is a "manga", by our way of differenciating from other GNs. And just because something is "mangaesque" will not get filed alongside manga. For example, "Maximum Ride" the manga can be considered a manga or GN in the technical sense of the term manga meaning comic. However according to LC, in our library it gets filed before graphic novels and not with comics or materials from Japan. Any alternative comics from Japan get filed with the manga as well. Another example is 'Black God', it's manga and manhwa. It's still manga in the household sense, but for us it gets filed under "K" for Korean because that's where it originated despite being published in Japan. Same for 'Peepo Choo', sure it was published in Japan, but LC does not identify it originating from Japan. So it's placed where 'Maximum Ride' and other GN of the same nature. Like the Scott Pilgrim series. I work for an academic library and these are the rules that most major libraries file by. Public libraries just file anything and everthing that is manga, mangaesque and GNs together under YA for young adult, depending on the age rating.

The same holds true for "anime" as well, no matter where it comes from, because we know it's "Japanese" for animation Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1