• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Samuel L. Jackson Joins Live-Action Kite Film Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Webbmaster62

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Really glad Jackson is in this project. He's not a stranger to anime and knows what the anime fans like. I pretty much can tell what role he's gonna get. lol
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Jackson: It's ma duty to please Sawa's booty!
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
And that really sounds like the Kite that we all know and love. Rolling Eyes
AnimeGuy1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
lol I have ZERO idea what kite is actually about. I only watched it for the sex scene's Embarassed
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The woman teams up with her father's former partner to uncover the mystery of his death, unaware she was betrayed from the start.

And without all of the graphic sexual content? I don't think Kite's story was compelling enough to carry the entire OVA, the ultraviolence and animation did that. Those are two more elements that won't carry over to live-action. Plot and characters are not why people watch Umetsu's anime. Even if you're not watching the unedited version of Kite, the slave-master relationship and element of control are major themes in Kite. It's supposed to be a disturbing anime, and we all know any shred of that type of sexuality will get you an R faster than cursing up a storm or fountains of blood combined. I was shocked that Lincoln was a PG-13, with all the F-boms they dropped. Enjoy your pointless, watered-down, PG-13 inferior film.

This makes me appreciate how rare of a gem something like Dredd 3D was.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
So... it's something Kite-like? In the Kite universe? But not Kite...

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I was shocked that Lincoln was a PG-13, with all the F-bombs they dropped.

I had heard once that "F" used as an expletive was only good for a PG13 rating. "F", the verb, or preceded by "mother", was worth an R.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I was shocked that Lincoln was a PG-13, with all the F-bombs they dropped.

I had heard once that "F" used as an expletive was only good for a PG13 rating. "F", the verb, or preceded by "mother", was worth an R.

Like the FCC or other arbitrary rules cable networks set for themselves, I'm sure there's an exact limit of times you're allowed to say each curse word before the rating goes up. There's probably something similar for time duration of nudity, dependent on the severity and framing of the nudity. Violence on the other hand, go nuts. You'll have to work incredibly hard to raise an R to NC-17 for violence alone. Though, PG-13 to R is simple: just add blood.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:01 am Reply with quote
Live-action Kite? There shouldn't have been an animated one!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
msgundam2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
As much as I like Kite as soon as the mass media see that Kite (The Animation) has graphic rape scenes every soccer mom and government official will be screaming that it should be banned and Anime is evil.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
As much as I like Kite as soon as the mass media see that Kite (The Animation) has graphic rape scenes every soccer mom and government official will be screaming that it should be banned and Anime is evil.

I'm sure doctors can work this out for me, but I experience an extreme sense of euphoria when I learn of indignant individuals taking great offense at video games, movies, and the like. There's just something so delicious about it...it's like popping bubble-wrap. Anyone? Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
msgundam2 wrote:

I'm sure doctors can work this out for me, but I experience an extreme sense of euphoria when I learn of indignant individuals taking great offense at video games, movies, and the like. There's just something so delicious about it...it's like popping bubble-wrap. Anyone? Laughing

You're feeding off of their impotent rage and butthurt. They can be as angry and take as much offense as they want, but they have no ability to change anything.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
As individuals probably not, but the moral crusaders running the MPAA certainly do, even if they're swimming against the current. I hope pop culture sends them a tsunami; I think it would start with a moe Samuel L. Jackson.
flawed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
So basically they're removing anything story wise that made Kite special. Might as well go ahead and let it be helmed by Michael Bay.

If it's not at least R, it's even less Kite due to any lack of "movie real/believable" violence.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
As individuals probably not, but the moral crusaders running the MPAA certainly do, even if they're swimming against the current. I hope pop culture sends them a tsunami; I think it would start with a moe Samuel L. Jackson.

The more attention to bring to something and try to forbid it, ban it, censor it, the more you popularize it and make it sell. Music owes a favor to Tipper Gore, that Explicit Content sticker increases album sales. If anime were to start making major news cycles, even as negative press, you'll see more entering into the fandom to learn what the big deal is.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
He'd be perfect for the role. Didn't know that they were doing a live-action Kite film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1