• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japan's Video Game Rankings, January 14-20

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Not bad numbers from Digimon Adventure for a handheld title based on an old 90s anime series. Didn't figure it would sell anywhere near as much as modern franchises like Danball Senki or Inazuma Eleven. It's definitely a fun game though, well recommended. Faithful enough to the show to invoke nostalgia but different enough to offer a new experience. My personal favorite addition is probably spoiler[Tentomon, Piyomon, Palmon, Patamon, Tailmon, and Gomamon get to evolve to their Ultimate level forms, which is something I was disappointed never happened in the anime. They went above and beyond and even created evolution sequences for them in the style of Agumon's and Gabumon's, so that was a pleasant surprise]
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
the video game market for JAN looks pretty dead
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Black OPS II sold 7000 in one week? In Japan? That's...bigger than I expected.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
DmC 100k. lol. this is so bad compare to other DMC games.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Black OPS II sold 7000 in one week? In Japan? That's...bigger than I expected.

I don't recall Call of Duty doing poorly in Japan for the last few installments, it's worth noting that this is the dubbed version, so it is still doing well on the charts after the subbed version already went on the market.

Here is a sample of an article:

That article with a link above wrote:
When “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2″ was released in Japan in 2009, it didn’t break any domestic sales records, but it did get nearly perfect review scores in Japan’s most famous game magazine, Famitsu, despite the fact that players were furious at the shoddy localization. The game was dubbed into Japanese, and players felt that it made the game feel cheap. “Call of Duty” has always been unabashedly American, and Japanese players wanted to hear the original English voice track. The sentiment echoed the feelings Western gamers have long had about the localization of Japanese role-playing games, which was, for a long time, quite awful. When it was time to release “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3″ in Japan in 2011, Square Enix offered two versions of the game: one dubbed and the other subtitled. Japanese fans were elated.

Source: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2012/05/02/life/japans-gamers-are-starting-to-shoot-em-up/

It echoes our struggle with the localisation of games and anime. Razz
Also, Modern Warfare 3 outsold Gigant Battle 2 and Ni no Kuni (http://andriasang.com/comz23/media_create_sales/) for first week sales on the same week. >_> Sure, the competition wasn't Kaizoku Musou which got over 650K (or Kaizoku Musou 2 which is going to sell incredibly well) still one of the better One Piece titles.

Spotlesseden wrote:
DmC 100k. lol. this is so bad compare to other DMC games.

If you are going to be an antagonistic towards DmC at the least provide sources.

In the UK, DmC sold a third of what DMC4 for first week sales:
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/uk-chart-dmc-tops-the-charts-with-only-a-third-of-its-predecessors-sales-6402680

Worth noting that the title released on Tuesday, while usually UK releases come out on Friday. It had three days more than DMC4 and a much larger install base of systems.

In Japan, DmC sold less than half of what DMC sold for first week sales: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-24-dmc-sells-half-of-what-dmc4-did-in-japan

It was the best seller of the week in Japan and the UK, though it is by a narrow margin in Japan (we don't get numbers for the UK, at least not numbers we can speak about).

We have enough comments on Youtube which are on the lines of "lol DmC failed lol".
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Considering it's circumstances, DmC sold more than was projected in Japan. Japanese franchises which get taken over by Western developers tend to just, well, die in Japan. Silent Hill died in Japan when Western developers took up the reins. Games like Silent Hill Downpour tanked horribly in Japan, compared to the Japanese-developed Silent Hills. Other examples include Metroid Prime doing much worse than previous Metroid games, though once the Japanese took over again, sales picked up and Other M sold more than the Prime games did. The fact DmC sold 100,000 in it's first week in Japan is actually fairly impressive for a western developed spin on a Japanese franchise. Usually they don't even get 35,000.

Speaking of One Piece, it was one of the best selling games in 2012. Famitsu listed the Top 100 Selling Games in Japan in 2012 and the list is pretty interesting. I won't post it all, but the Top 15 are all games I like.

Quote:
1. NDS Pocket Monsters Black 2 / White 2
2. 3DS Animal Crossing: New Leaf
3. 3DS New Super Mario Bros. 2
4. 3DS Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
5. 3DS Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D
6. PS3/360 Biohazard 6
7. PS3 One Piece: Kaizoku Musou
8. 3DS Mario Kart 7
9. 3DS Super Mario 3D Land
10. WII Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsusu no Shuzoku Online
11. WII Mario Party 9
12. PS3 Ryuu ga Gotoku 5: Yume Kanaeshi Mono
13. PS3 Dragon's Dogma
14. 3DS Fire Emblem: Kakusei
15. PS3 Tales of Xillia 2

Especially happy for Fire Emblem and Tales.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
So the top selling exclusive console game of the year was One Piece: Pirate Warriors. Well deserved, I'd say.

Its also so refreshing to see a top selling video game list without mindless shooters and casual crap everywhere.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
please dont try to blame silent hill as being a huge failure on anyone other than konami themselves

that franchise has always sucked other than the first one
when idiots put art direction over gameplay all you end up with is bloody mess
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1