• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion 3.0 Earns 5.1 Billion Yen/US$56 Million

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
one piece over 70mil US, no surprise there. 3.0 actually went up a bit, quite a feat considering how much movies tend to loose profit with each subsequent week.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Damn I'm itching to see this! Hurry up and release the blu-ray! Can't Funimation get on board to work with Kara to get the English blu-ray out the same time as Japan? THis is the sort of stuff that needs to be clockworked.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Damn I'm itching to see this! Hurry up and release the blu-ray! Can't Funimation get on board to work with Kara to get the English blu-ray out the same time as Japan? THis is the sort of stuff that needs to be clockworked.

that would be great but regarding evas release schedules...... well they have never been released according to their own timetables, 3.0 wont be released in japan even until december this year, so at best a us release wont come until 2014.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I hate to sound too impatient, but I think Funimation should start getting on this, if they haven't already.

I, too, wish to see Shinji and Kowaru chit chat for two hours, sandwiched between complete utter madness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
one piece over 70mil US, no surprise there. 3.0 actually went up a bit, quite a feat considering how much movies tend to loose profit with each subsequent week.

US amount can change. use that number is meaningless. It only looks high because USD is keep going down.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
US amount can change. use that number is meaningless. It only looks high because USD is keep going down.

Actually the yen is going down against the dollar. Down to 91 yen to the dollar yesterday. A month ago the yen was in mid to high the 70s.
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I just can't get into One Piece. I can usually find the appeal in anything, but not that for some reason.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Not really surprised by this, I knew even before this came out Evangelion 3.0 would end up making a lot of money.

To Funimation: Pick it up!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
jdnation wrote:

that would be great but regarding evas release schedules...... well they have never been released according to their own timetables, 3.0 wont be released in japan even until december this year, so at best a us release wont come until 2014.

Where is proof that it will release in December? If going by 2.0 trend it will be Sep/Oct but they made everyone wait too long for that (and they know it) so I would predict it will be in the summer.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

Sure they can, but it'll cost you at least $80. Small price to pay for expediency.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sure they can, but it'll cost you at least $80. Small price to pay for expediency.

How does that work out?

Anime companies need to take a page from the game developers who get the localization process going quite early. This is looking at big companies for big franchises where Japanese/Overseas releases are very close.

Heck even the latest volume of the Evangelion manga released simultaneously in Japan and North America.

Kara and Funimation, who've already put out the first two films can get involved as soon as work begins on the DVD/blu-ray release. Heck Funimation should've began dubbing it as soon as the film was finished and releasing in Japanese theaters. This expediency and efficiency for big film releases can easily be done.

For all concerns about piracy, such efforts would help reduce it. Instead the Japanese release will arrive with a year until the English one, and in the interim most of us will have downloaded a fansub by then because we're too eager to see it and don't want to risk being spoiled until we have. That's what I did the last two times until the blu-ray released, then I bought it. I'll most likely do it again, unless they announce the English release is at most a few months behind the Japanese one.

Though perhaps the feasible reason why Funimation may choose to wait is that we'll end up with a '3.33' blu-ray release in Japan with more scenes added and more fine tuned/improved animation and sound, and Funimation would rather license that, which makes absolute sense, and if that's the case, then I'd gladly wait longer for that.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

How does that work out?
walw6pK4Alo is giving you the price that it would take to purchase the Japanese version since it would require any licensor to charge the same price as it for a simultaneous release and not worry about any Japanese person reverse importing the release.

jdnation wrote:
Anime companies need to take a page from the game developers who get the localization process going quite early. This is looking at big companies for big franchises where Japanese/Overseas releases are very close.

Heck even the latest volume of the Evangelion manga released simultaneously in Japan and North America.
You are comparing different mediums of different popularities (in regards to profits) not to mention the huge issue of the language barrier. Most games that are released from a Japanese publisher tend to have English audio/text only. If they do have Japanese audio, there is usually a delay between Japanese/international releases if the system can play releases between regions. As for manga, it is again released English-only (or whatever is the dominant language in that country), so there's little reason to reverse-import.

Anime fans run the gauntlet of people who only watch in English to people who only watch in Japanese, so you can't do that kind of release without alienating some fans. Most people who purchase dubbed release tend to want a "reasonably priced" set, so they wouldn't pay the same price as the JP simultaneous release.

jdnation wrote:
Kara and Funimation, who've already put out the first two films can get involved as soon as work begins on the DVD/blu-ray release. Heck Funimation should've began dubbing it as soon as the film was finished and releasing in Japanese theaters. This expediency and efficiency for big film releases can easily be done.
You are assuming that there are no issues between Funimation and the international rights holder, which may or may not be the animation studio, Khara. Why is it so important that this movie have an immediate release in NA when the region gives perhaps 250,000 USD to license the film compared to the 5,036,164,770 yen (approximately 54,864,841 USD at the current exchange rate) they earn from sales (of which 30 million goes to the distributor to fund the committee)? It's incredibly selfish to say "I'll give you less than 1 percent of your domestic sales returns, so let me release it on the same day you do!"

jdnation wrote:
For all concerns about piracy, such efforts would help reduce it. Instead the Japanese release will arrive with a year until the English one, and in the interim most of us will have downloaded a fansub by then because we're too eager to see it and don't want to risk being spoiled until we have. That's what I did the last two times until the blu-ray released, then I bought it. I'll most likely do it again, unless they announce the English release is at most a few months behind the Japanese one.

Though perhaps the feasible reason why Funimation may choose to wait is that we'll end up with a '3.33' blu-ray release in Japan with more scenes added and more fine tuned/improved animation and sound, and Funimation would rather license that, which makes absolute sense, and if that's the case, then I'd gladly wait longer for that.
Given the increased proceeds 3.0 has over 2.0 in theatres and the likely increase in sales for 3.33 over 2.22, they are doing well focusing on the domestic market alone. Why should the Japanese rights holder worry about piracy affecting the international market when the movie does so well in the domestic market? Should the Hollywood studios or Disney worry about piracy of their releases affecting international sales when they make their money back from domestic showings/home video releases? Then why should the 3.0 production committee worry about Funimation's problem (or whoever licenses the movie)?

The other issue is that previous Eva Rebuild licenses require theatre showings prior to disc release, which takes logistical time to arrange and provide materials. Of course any disc release would be the likely 3.33 version since there was no disc release of 2.0 in Japan, nor is there likely to be one for 3.0 in Japan. It'd still take time to author discs and get them in line to press from their distributor.

Madman has said there is an international hold on the license, which makes sense as they want to recoup costs from their primary market before allowing licensors to have copies that could leak and damage their primary source of income. It sucks as an international fan, but that's what happens when you don't live in the primary market as a fan.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Not really surprised by this, I knew even before this came out Evangelion 3.0 would end up making a lot of money.

Uhhhh... In the movie industry...$56 mil is kinda a flop... Especially when paired against its budget. Especially considering it opened 3 months ago.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
Uhhhh... In the movie industry...$56 mil is kinda a flop... Especially when paired against its budget. Especially considering it opened 3 months ago.
Looking at the American movie industry alone, $56 million in box office earnings would have the 57th place in 2012. As it stands, it's the 5th best movie in the Japanese box office for 2012. I'm not sure how you can call it a flop. As for your budget comments, I'm curious how you know the film's budget. Would you please inform us how much it cost to make.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Ok, so what, precisely, was Eva 3.0's budget?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2