• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse Editor on Appleseed, Hellsing, 2007

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freak24/7

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:31 am Reply with quote
regarding the unflipped Masamune Shirow releases....It's abot freaking time!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Excellent!!! Now I can request this for our collection. Mostly the 'Dominion' stuff since 'Conflict' went out of circulation a good while back. You can still sometimes find the first 'Dominion' graphic novel but you really have to look for it. But 'Conflict', you won't find.

I'm very pleased that they are re-releasing these titles. Smile
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Okaaaaaay... that's not the entire catalog. Unless GitS was already unflipped and I missed it. I'm a bit out of touch with the manga market ATM, so hopefully they were flipped.
RedComet

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for Hellsing volume 8.y
xstylus

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Check out the way DH mentioned the issues holding up Hellsing.

Dark Horse wrote:

...although I haven't looked at it myself, we are aware that scanlated (i.e., unlicensed, illegal) versions of Hellsing #8 and #9 are available online. These were not taken from the Japanese TPBs, as they don't exist yet. They were most likely taken from Young King Ours, scanned/translated, and then uploaded. So, until volumes #8 and #9 (and Hellsing: The Dawn) are available in TPB form in Japan, we might have to slake our thirst for blood elsewhere.

I know that last line is a bit of a pun, but in their choice of words I get the impression that they're certainly not happy about those scanlations. I'd be fun to see if they decided to sink their teeth into someone. Twisted Evil
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Chiyosuke wrote:
Okaaaaaay... that's not the entire catalog. Unless GitS was already unflipped and I missed it. I'm a bit out of touch with the manga market ATM, so hopefully they were flipped.

I can't remember if they were flopped or not (I'm pretty sure they WERE), but Dark Horse just released new editions of both [urlhttp://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=13-288]GitS[/url] books, so I doubt they'd come out with another edition so soon after.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
red stranger

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:03 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
I can't remember if they were flopped or not (I'm pretty sure they WERE), but Dark Horse just released new editions of both [urlhttp://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=13-288]GitS[/url] books, so I doubt they'd come out with another edition so soon after.
I think those are the edition I got, because I just got them recently. They are flopped. I assume that eventually they will put out unflipped GITS books though, the bass turds.
Agent Wax

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of Shirow, especially of GITS, but this just strikes me as a rip-off attempt by Dark Horse. Now that most of his fans already own flipped copies of his works, they're releasing unflipped ones? Why the hell did they flip them in the 1st place? Evil or Very Mad Some nonsense about market demands? If you can't figure out how to read a comic from left-to-right, what makes you think you can understand and appreciate Shirow's works?

My only expectation from DH right now in regards to Shirow's works is just GITS 1.5 and the out-of-print Dominion:Conflict. Everything else is just a swindle.
Anath_19

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Agent Wax wrote:
Now that most of his fans already own flipped copies of his works, they're releasing unflipped ones? Why the hell did they flip them in the 1st place? Evil or Very Mad Some nonsense about market demands?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that all the works they're talking about were released in the pre-unflipped era of manga releases, when it was pretty much unheard of to release manga in the original right-to-left format. This era was circa 2002 and before (I'm not sure exactly when companies started the unflipped manga trend, but it was somewhere around here...seeing as one news article I found on ANN from 2001 (here), lists only manga that would be released flipped.)
MillieB

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
So um, what the hell are they doing with Narutaru (Shadow Star)?

Not that I approved of the censorship they were smacking it with, but they just canned it? Of course, it was stopped in many other countries at the EXACT same spot... You'd think they'd finish what they started. I mean, not even a heads up?

If someone could clear this up for me, I would greatly appreciate it. I hope I didn't miss some plainly obvious mention of it somewhere, that'd be quite emberassing.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:38 am Reply with quote
Agent Wax: Well they're finally putting Hypernotes in TPB, so you could buy that...Personally, I'm hoping we can see some endnotes (*wink wink nudge nudge* Carl).

Anath: I think it's more like they're all or mostly OOP, and now that the Appleseed movie came out, Dark Horse has an excuse to re-release the books.
Armagguedes

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
[double-post blunder, reconstructed from the post below]
Yeah what happened to Hellsing anyway? According to the intarnets experts at wikipedia, each Hellsing book has 10 chapters,
(...)
but since vol. 7 came out, 15 chapters have alreaddd been released... I think book 8 will be the last (at least it feels like it), and maybe they're releasing a "special edition", bigger and all that?

--------

Alright, 'bout time they re-released some of MS's earlier works.

Appleseed's Hypernotes is, well, Ap. Hypernotes, but is the "I/D" the "Appleseed Databook"?

Regarding "DOMINION:Tank Police", i already have the paperback's 3rd edition. This 4th edition (?) will be unflipped, and they are releasing "Conflict"; but where the hell is "No More Noise"?????? I gather it was a standalone comic, but still...

Now they only need to re-release Dominion's DVDs...

Last edited by Armagguedes on Wed May 17, 2006 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schrödinger

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah what happened to Hellsing anyway? According to the intarnets experts at wikipedia, each Hellsing book has 10 chapters,

That's incorrect, and Wikipedia says no such thing. Volumes 1-3 have 6 each, volume 4 has 9, and volumes 5-7 have 10. Hellsing is collected as a tankoubon when there's enough pages.

Quote:
but since vol. 7 came out, 15 chapters have alreaddd been released... I think book 8 will be the last (at least it feels like it), and maybe they're releasing a "special edition", bigger and all that?

Volume 8 is being compiled now in Japan and will be out in August; volume 9 has just started being serialized in YKO. Nobody knows how many chapters will be in it, but it's safe to assume there will be more than 10, as recent chapters have been pretty short.

Also, Hellsing (not including The Dawn, which may end up being at least 1 volume long) will be 10 volumes, according to Kouta Hirano.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1