• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Build Fighters TV Anime to Premiere in October

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
That Gunpla OVA from 2010 wasn't too bad, but it worked well as just that, a short little thing in 13 minute installments. A whole show? Ehhhhh, it really sounds more commercialized toy-selling than Gundam usually is, and aimed at kids again.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
it really sounds more commercialized toy-selling than Gundam usually is

I hate to break it to you, but Gundam has always been about selling toys.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
Well, this can't possibly be as bad as their last show. And that this point, this is probably about as seriously as the franchise deserves to be treated.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
it really sounds more commercialized toy-selling than Gundam usually is

I hate to break it to you, but Gundam has always been about selling toys.

I AM FENCEDUDE THE ALWAYS-RIGHT, and I didn't read the "usually is" when I quoted that post.

Please stop being you. You're not breaking anything to me.
Splash

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Danball Senkiェ。。。
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
Guess it wasn't Gundam Boyfriends after all.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
Of course they were always made to sell toys. They just weren't so blatant and had stuff for everyone to enjoy.

Not sure why people always bring up the toy angle. As if people didn't also watch it for the story and characters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Shocked Okay. Now I know that exists. Kind of looks like a shonen knock off of Angelic Layer.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Shocked Okay. Now I know that exists. Kind of looks like a shonen knock off of Angelic Layer.

Angelic Layer, being about tiny robot fight competitions, isn't an original concept either.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1873/Plawres_Sanshirou Is now 30 years old. You could say Angelic Layer is the knock-off of that. And I'm sure you could dig further in the past and find even more anime about the same concepts, or at least in general science fiction.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
The way North America seems to think animation is still only for kids and how toy obsessive they are, this may be a viable way to break for Bandai to break into the market. Just don't tell the parents in-story real soldiers die in those suits. Laughing
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
Uh, the preview didn't appeal to me that much but I guess I'll give the first episodes a try. I am a mecha fan after all and always on the look out for more mecha themed series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Well, this can't possibly be as bad as their last show. And that this point, this is probably about as seriously as the franchise deserves to be treated.

What did everyone have against AGE? Was it because the characters didn't look like the least heterosexual thing you've seen like every other Gundam show this last decade?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:27 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

What did everyone have against AGE? Was it because the characters didn't look like the least heterosexual thing you've seen like every other Gundam show this last decade?

Something about misogyny and being sexist. I've never seen the series so I can not make a formal comment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Most of the people who hated the character designs probably didn't even bother watching it, or at least not past the first episode or two.

No, the character designs were fine, it was just about everything else about it that was awful.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7