• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Monokuro Kinderbook

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katscradle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
I agree I wish there was more of Kan Takahama's work available in English. Nouvelle Manga is rather refreshing and I very much liked the style of her artwork in Monokuro Kinderbook. But, I'm not very sure if a lot of people would find it an enjoyable read.

Personally I had the misfortune of reading the chapter "Show Our Generation the Way to Survive" on one of the anniversaries of September 11th. I think that added to my bad reaction of it. After that I stopped reading the rest of the book for awhile because the thought of starting to read it again was too uncomfortable. Though, there were some very good stories like "Women who Survive" and "Kinderbook".

Still, I tend to think of Monokuro Kinderbook with a bit of dread which makes it difficult for me to tell someone to read it. Sad

Very good article though.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
I love Takahama's work too... (in general). It's a shame it's not more popular... I guess the closest comparison I can think of (to a translated mangaka) would be Fumi Yoshinaga, but Takahama's work is less fanservicey, darker, and a little more difficult to figure out.

katscradle wrote:
Personally I had the misfortune of reading the chapter "Show Our Generation the Way to Survive" on one of the anniversaries of September 11th. I think that added to my bad reaction of it. After that I stopped reading the rest of the book for awhile because the thought of starting to read it again was too uncomfortable.

I'm curious, did you stop reading then because it brought up bad memories of 9/11, or because you thought it was a bad story? (Or some combination of the two?)
katscradle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
katscradle wrote:
Personally I had the misfortune of reading the chapter "Show Our Generation the Way to Survive" on one of the anniversaries of September 11th. I think that added to my bad reaction of it. After that I stopped reading the rest of the book for awhile because the thought of starting to read it again was too uncomfortable.

I'm curious, did you stop reading then because it brought up bad memories of 9/11, or because you thought it was a bad story? (Or some combination of the two?)

A little bit of both. Once the initial emotional reaction passed, I started to analyze the story a little. The elements regarding foreigners in Japan were somewhat interesting. The depiction of the sort of crisis of feelings about the world that I felt a connection to with my generation is good as well. But, the story seemed a little too contrived and I wasn't sure how much to take seriously. So since she put little anecdotes throughout, I sort of wondered about the rest of the book and if the way the stories are done were a good way to make one point or another as well. Or still exactly what she was trying to do with the stories.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1