• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon Anime to Stream Worldwide This Winter

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crystal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:26 am Reply with quote
I'm really excited for this anime . . . but also really scared they're going to recast the original voice actors with "young, cute" ones. Anime hyper Like no one born before the 80s . . .
jenni0014

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:31 am Reply with quote
The anime was delayed from the Summer 2013 slate...
Also, it was announced that the streaming site in question was going to be niconicodouga. Smile
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:32 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
I'm really excited for this anime . . . but also really scared they're going to recast the original voice actors with "young, cute" ones. Anime hyper Like no one born before the 80s . . .

Even if they did (which they almost certainly won't), thats pretty goddamn insulting an assertion to make about newer seiyuu.

They could easily recast it with "younger" seiyuu and it would be just as good, possibly even better. But they almost certainly aren't.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:33 am Reply with quote
It's not really the 20th anniversary anymore if it airs in Winter. At least Macross had the decency to squeeze out that Deculture OVA just in time in 2007 to make it count for 25 years. There isn't even any art of this new series.
kenshin77

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:36 am Reply with quote
yeah i watched the live stream, and was disappointed there wasn't any art for the new series. Although I can't wait to see it air this coming winter.
Crystal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:40 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Crystal wrote:

Even if they did (which they almost certainly won't), thats pretty goddamn insulting an assertion to make about newer seiyuu.

They could easily recast it with "younger" seiyuu and it would be just as good, possibly even better. But they almost certainly aren't.

I think it's more insulting that experienced VA tend to get cast aside alot nowadays. If we criticize Disney Channel and MTV for emphasizing youth and casting aside people when they get older, how is this any different? Is there a "it's OK when Japanese people do it" mentality? Especially when voice acting doesn't matter what you look like.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:43 am Reply with quote
Hmm....it looks like Usagi might be recast, it seems they haven't decided on a seiyuu for her. I'd imagine the main reason anyone would be recast is if the original seiyuu don't want to return to the roles. I imagine Hisakawa would return, since she's still quite active, but many of the rest are far less active as seiyuu now than they were back in the 90s.

We'll just have to see. I don't think a recasting would be inherently bad. Its not like the original cast weren't pretty much the "hottest anime seiyuu" of their time or anything.

Quote:
I think it's more insulting that experienced VA tend to get cast aside alot nowadays. If we criticize Disney Channel and MTV for emphasizing youth and casting aside people when they get older, how is this any different? Is there a "it's OK when Japanese people do it" mentality? Especially when voice acting doesn't matter what you look like.

Oh please thats bullshit. Do you even follow seiyuu? Do you actually pay attention to who gets cast? Yes there are lots of younger seiyuu, there will always be lots of younger seiyuu. New, young seiyuu grow up to be older, experienced seiyuu. Do you not grasp this very basic concept?
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:49 am Reply with quote
FINALLY! I feel like I've been waiting ages for this news, not surprised no art yet though if it's winter 2014 I don't think preview art for anime often gets realised until much closer to airing.
Crystal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:49 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Quote:

Oh please thats bullshit. Do you even follow seiyuu? Do you actually pay attention to who gets cast? Yes there are lots of younger seiyuu, there will always be lots of younger seiyuu. New, young seiyuu grow up to be older, experienced seiyuu. Do you not grasp this very basic concept?

People tend to be critical of young Western celebrities, how is this any different? I'm saying that I dislike how the Japanese voice acting industry makes their roles/characters age with them. Why shouldn't VAs be allowed to play a variety of ages if they can?

I notice in recent years, Miyuki Sawashiro has voiced children, teenagers and adults. Is there some sort of rule that young seiyuu are allowed to play a variety of age ranges and older ones aren't? Run Sasaki has been critical of this practice as well (and I think Kotono herself as well).

It's not like there's the "occasional" young voice actor, it's like they DOMINATE the scene. Tara Strong, Grey DeLisle, Lara Jill Miller and Hynden Walch are all fantastic at sounding younger than they are--is there some rule no seiyuu in Japan can as well?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:53 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:

People tend to be critical of young Western celebrities, how is this any different? I'm saying that I dislike how the Japanese voice acting industry makes their roles/characters age with them. Why shouldn't VAs be allowed to play a variety of ages if they can?

Huh? I don't even know what you are saying here. What do Western celebrities have to do with this?

Quote:
I notice in recent years, Miyuki Sawashiro has voiced children, teenagers and adults. Is there some sort of rule that young seiyuu are allowed to play a variety of age ranges and older ones aren't? Run Sasaki has been critical of this practice as well (and I think Kotono herself as well).

I see plenty of older seiyuu playing younger characters? It just depends. You are making a lot of blanket assertions that don't actually make very much sense. Also there is a HUUUUGE bias against recasting anime characters. There was a massive shitstorm when Genshiken Nidaime recast all the returning characters, in part because it was so incredibly unusual.

Also, and I know this will cause all sorts of controversy, but I always goddamn hated the voice Mitsuishi used for Usagi. Always always always. So I'm all up for recasting her at least.
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:18 am Reply with quote
Yay for the announcement!! Can't wait until winter!! I'll watch it either way if they change or retain the seiyuus
OH&S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:23 am Reply with quote
I am someone who steers clear of any shoujo anime but even I cant help but be excited by this announcement! Sailor Moon is one of the first anime that I watched. I would definitely approve the remake. Now if only they would remake One Piece...
Togame

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:27 am Reply with quote
Four months until the supposed airing, and the producers pretty much dodged all and any questions about the production while sweating harder than a 14 year old virgin on his first date.

Come on Japan. Throw us a bone.
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:35 am Reply with quote
[quote="Fencedude5609"]Hmm....it looks like Usagi might be recast, it seems they haven't decided on a seiyuu for her. I'd imagine the main reason anyone would be recast is if the original seiyuu don't want to return to the roles. I imagine Hisakawa would return, since she's still quite active, but many of the rest are far less active as seiyuu now than they were back in the 90s.

It was actually confirmed last year the Mitsuishi Kotono would reprise her role as well as Furuya Touru reprised his role as Tukedo Kamen, it's the rest we don't know about. I've heard something about Sailor Mars voice actress having retired some time back so I think she will most likely have a new seiyuu.
jet_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:38 am Reply with quote
Hopefully there'll be a trailer during Kyousogiga's airing.
Not keeping my hopes up high though.
OH&S wrote:
Now if only they would remake One Piece...

What.

Last edited by jet_ on Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7