• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball [3-in-1 Edition] GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
Just a note to those interested in buying this edition: This particular release by Viz has multiple instances of censorship despite being advertised on the cover as "unedited."

While the content itself is good, the censoring of said content may turn off some readers. More information about it can be found here: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/reviews/viz-dragon-ball-3-in-1-edition-vol-1/

Viz has still not released a fully-uncut version of the manga even though they promised on multiple occasions.

On the good news: the latter volumes should most likely not have this censoring goof-up, now that folks have called Viz out on this.
GLindis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for mentioning the censorship. Shame it wasn't mentioned in the actual review. A lot of fans would base the decision to buy this type of release on if it was accurate and faithful. Censorship of a work is an absolutely essential thing to state in a review. I have been waiting for a complete, uncensored Dragon Ball in the states for years, and it looks like I'll be waiting longer. It seems Viz just has no respect for the second most popular manga of all time.

The fact that it is falsely advertised as unedited is even more revolting. I've gotten so sick and tired of Viz's nonstop censorship, cancellations, excess name changes and all with zero communication to the fans. Of course, they know they can get away with it, because they are the only source for that much-loved Shueisha goodness. Vote with your wallets, fans who actually respect the medium.

The reviewer also seemed to not understand that Dragon Ball started as a parody of action/adventure manga (hence why each chapter was 14 pages long -the length of a Jump comedy-, instead of 19 pages -the length of a Jump action series), so the early training and tournament arcs are meant as parodies of the genre (it wasn't until around the Tien arc that Dragon Ball was pressured into becoming a true action manga). It would have been more informative if the review discussed whether these were effective parody scenes, and the implications of a parody becoming the legitimate standard for a genre, but you can't quite have that when the reviewer misses the intent altogether.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
So... I can still hold on to my copies of DB Vols. 1-3 that's not censored (I mean... they have a fully topless Bulma, language, and middle fingers. How censored can they be?)

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
It's also worth mentioning that the paper quality of this omnibus, unlike the previous VizBig editions, is absolutely abysmal, just like the Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, and FMA '3-in-1 Editions' sadly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
It's ironic actually. Viz was one of the first companies in the United States to offer dubbed/subbed anime uncut, with the dubs being close to the original intent. When it comes to manga, however, pretty much none of their manga uncut or fully uncut. How ironic. >_> Oh shit. I'm turning into Crispy45. Anime hyper
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
So... I can still hold on to my copies of DB Vols. 1-3 that's not censored (I mean... they have a fully topless Bulma, language, and middle fingers. How censored can they be?)

Yeah, those very early printings of the DB/DBZ graphic novels were unedited. Roughly around the time of the US Shonen Jump launch was when the edits started to be made. So... around the Android/Cell arc releases for the DBZ manga was when they changed their censorship policy.

So... in order to get the least censored volumes, you have to look for the older OOP versions and check the printing dates.

If that sounds like a clusterf**k, that's because it IS.

On the plus side, the upcoming "Full Color" Dragon Ball comics will hopefully be unedited.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I purchased my copy of Vol. 2 just last year, and Bulma's middle finger is still intact. I think the "Shonen Jump" printings are still unedited, at least for Dragon Ball, which is rated T. Heck, even the A-rated DBZ still had language.

But yeah, the full-color editions should still be fine, since that would be a bit more difficult to censor. Unless of course it was censored in Japan too.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
Hell, remember a time where VIZ was actually releasing the manga unedited, got a complaint from a parent who purchased an issue from Toys R Us, started censoring it and then reverted back to uncensored with a label attached to show it was for older kids after fan outcry?
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:
Just a note to those interested in buying this edition: This particular release by Viz has multiple instances of censorship despite being advertised on the cover as "unedited."

While the content itself is good, the censoring of said content may turn off some readers. More information about it can be found here: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/reviews/viz-dragon-ball-3-in-1-edition-vol-1/

Viz has still not released a fully-uncut version of the manga even though they promised on multiple occasions.

On the good news: the latter volumes should most likely not have this censoring goof-up, now that folks have called Viz out on this.

well after reading that , unless they actually released and 100% original released unedited and properly translated , avoid this mess like a plague
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theshadowboss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
I was planning to replace my set of the first Viz run with the older Vizbig editions, but I was so disappointed when they drew over Bulma's breasts. I am now even more disappointed. There is absolutely no point to buying this release, as you would be better off buying the older Vizbig editions, or if you can find them, the original Viz release, which does have the uncensored breasts.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
They must think fans are stupid. Every time some company pulls this underhanded crap, we are going to find out.

If they are going to do it, they might as well fall on their sword and label it as "edited for content". Least that way, they won't be considered evil for trying to be sly or underhanded with their customers.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Viz has mentioned on their Twitter account, that the edits "slipped by", and that future printings will be unedited. Future volumes shouldn't have this problem, but with Viz, I'll believe it when I see it.

Fans shouldn't have to do the quality control for them.

I'd say for now, just wait and see if future volumes are "uncensored" like they promised, or just get the VizBig editions or the upcoming Full Color editions.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
^ That's good news. Where did you read that? I checked their Twitter feed and couldn't find anything.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't use Twitter, but this whole fiasco surprised me quite a bit because I'm subscribed to their Weekly Shonen Jump digital magazine, and they've been running colorized Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z chapters in it. I haven't really seen any edits, but if there were any perhaps I just haven't noticed. Is anyone else around here that's a subscriber? Maybe you could tell me if these releases are in any way similar.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
^ That's good news. Where did you read that? I checked their Twitter feed and couldn't find anything.

Here you go: https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/339541459151753216
and http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2013/05/28/new-viz-3-in-1-dragon-ball-manga-confirmed-as-still-censored/

Vashna: The 3-in-1's are reprints of their old Shonen Jump graphic novel releases that are advertised and stamped on the cover as being uncensored, but this first DragonBall 3-in-1 was obviously botched.

The only thing censored in the Full Color DBZ digital release is Mr. Popo's lips. But other than that, nothing else. So far, only the Saiyan and Freeza arcs have been released both in the US & Japan; but the original DB has been colorized in Japan only, and the Cell/Buu arcs are presumably on the way.

To help find what releases are uncut, and which ones are censored, feel free to check Kanzenshuu and their fan forum. Lots of useful DB-related information there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2