• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Suzumiya Website

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:07 am Reply with quote
I'm sooo relieved that Bandai Ent has the production. I was getting worried with all the Funi speculation. I do hope Bandai enlists Bang Zoom for ADR as opposed to Ocean or New Gen. Scrapped Princess aside, I've generally enjoyed Bang Zoom dubs and actors more than others.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:08 am Reply with quote
I don't think the actors in the video are necessarily going to be the dub actors. They're probably just in the video. I could be wrong though.

Quote:
all I need is a guarantee that we'll also have the songs dubbed, localized, and packaged

I thought that practice was (rightfully) long dead. Dubbed songs are usually the worst.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
8daze

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:10 am Reply with quote
That was a pretty cool way to make the announcement, I must admit. Hopefully the same level of effort is put into dubbing, packaging, extras, etc. But it does seem like they're going all out for this one.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:12 am Reply with quote
I agree there. Though it was a tad annoying, especially when the video didn't initially load. I kind of figured Bandai would get it. It had their feel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:13 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:

Quote:
all I need is a guarantee that we'll also have the songs dubbed, localized, and packaged

I thought that practice was (rightfully) long dead. Dubbed songs are usually the worst.

Nerima Daikon Brothers. Although since it's a musical, they kind of had to.

And it works. Razz
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:15 am Reply with quote
khryoleoz wrote:
I'm sooo relieved that Bandai Ent has the production. I was getting worried with all the Funi speculation. I do hope Bandai enlists Bang Zoom for ADR as opposed to Ocean or New Gen. Scrapped Princess aside, I've generally enjoyed Bang Zoom dubs and actors more than others.

Ugh, Bang! Zoom! Entertainment. They've probably casted the worst actors in the whole business, and compounded with poor directing we could have a total implosion of quality when it comes to Haruhi. Good directing might be able to save a BZE production (like GITS) but I wouldn't count on it if Bandai had full control over dubbing.

I actually like the idea of casting 'unknowns' for the roles for Haruhi; provided said 'unknowns' can pull off a stellar job, their characters will mold onto their personas. One would not imagine the number of people I known at my university who associate Crispin Freeman with Alucard, yet rarely remember his other roles, including perhaps his most 'significant' (which would be as The Prince in Howl's Moving Castle).

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:19 am Reply with quote
You've got to love how the posting has slowed considerably since the announcement. Looks like everyone went to bed (or MySpace). Cool
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:19 am Reply with quote
...well! For anyone interested, here's at least a partial transcription of the dialogue in the video. Unfortunately, I apparently stink and transcribing Japanese, so I made my best effort at what I could understand, but there's definite gaps in it. Oh well. If anyone wants to fill those in, feel free, in the mean time, if you can't load the video, here's a chance to have a look at what's being said-

Haruhi: Oh! This is so unacceptable! We went through all this work to make an anime TV series based on ourselves and we still haven't gotten any aliens, time-travelers or psychics!
Mikuru: nihon ikan [...] dou ka na to omotte, America demo [.....]
Haruhi: That's good. That's it!
---
Haruhi: Japan is HERE, and America is HERE! Oh so far away! How are we gonna get there?
Mikuru: Sumimasen!
Haruhi: Ah, we will sell ourselves to the Americans and win a free trip there!
Mikuru: Eeeh??
Haruhi: Yeah...
---
cat: It's already been decided.
---
Haruhi: Good afternoon. We're in the field today investigating the rumor that the ultra-popular supremed anime Japanese hit series, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, has been licensed for North America. The big question is, who has it...
(zoom out to Bandai Entertainment banner)
Haruhi: For months there has been internet speculation leading towards aliens, time travellers, maybe even psychics-
voice: Ahh! That's not in the script!
---
Yuki: [...]
Haruhi: Hey, don't interrupt me when I'm speaking! And you! Get the camera back on Yuki!
Yuki: [...] shinjouhou ga hairimashita. Suzumiya Haruhi no mokube ni okeru hatsubai moto wa Kadokawa Pictures USA. Hanbai moto wa Bandai Entertainment ni [...]
(O RLY?)
Yuki: Hontou.
(emaji? O RLY?)
Yuki: Hontou.
(No WAIII!)
Yuki: SOS News deshita.
---
Haruhi: If there are any aliens, time travellers, or psychics here, present yourselves to me now, for I am the ultra-chief of the ASOS Brigade! Also known as Haruhi Suzumiya, played by actor known as Patricia Lee who you may recognize from TV as the Pink Space Ranger...
Haruhi: This is ASOS Brigade conscript number 1! Yuki Nagato! Played by Akiyo Yamamoto She's intelligent, demure, she reads a lot of books, which is why she's perfect to me as a second.
Haruhi: And this! Is ASOS Brigade conscript number 2. She is Mikuru Asahina, played by Haruka Inoue. She is sexy, speaks Japanese, and she attracts a lot of otaku fanboys!
Mikuru: Eeeh nan nan desu ka?!
Haruhi: Yep, together the three of us are the ASOS Brigade!
voice: Huh? ASOS Brigade? What the heck is that?
---
Narrator: What is the ASOS Brigade? Haruhi Suzumiya is an intelligent, athletic, beautiful, unique, and easily bored girl. She decided to form her own club in school just to satisfy her own eccentric curiosities. Because none of the other clubs were good enough for her. After a couple of seconds of deep, careful thought, she decided to name the club "Spreading Excitement All Over the World with Haruhi Suzumiya Brigade". However, the name was too long for the registration forms, so she shortened it to the "SOS Brigade". This made complete sense to her, and only to her.
Narrator: She decided that her new affiliates in North America should logically be called "Americans Spreading Excitement All Over the World with Haruhi Suzumiya Brigade". Or ASOS Brigade for short. This again made sense to her, the rest of us are just humoring her whims. Or maybe we really just don't care what we're called.
---
Mikuru: Eeeto. Kinsoku jikou dattan desu kedo, kyou made [...] desu ga, America de no Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu no DVD wa hatsubai moto Kadokawa Pictures USA, hanbai moto wa Bandai Entertainment ni [...]
Yuki: Sono jouhou [...]
Mikuru: Eeeh? Watashi mo serifu tte [...] nan desu ka?
Haruhi: And so our journey has begun, to spread excitement all over America. In upcoming episodes we will reveal more important information about the series. In the mean time you can visit us on the internet at www.asosbrigade.com or at myspace.com/asosbrigade
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:48 am Reply with quote
Hm, interesting. I don't know about these VAs who'll be voicing the characters in the English dub, but it will be largely irrelevant - nobody can replace the original cast, and bilingual DVDs are all that matter to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BladeWind

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:04 am Reply with quote
This is wonderful news! Now i'm going to have to find a way to purchase this series from the UK (i'm not big on ordering from over-seas).

I was a bit suprised that the video they placed used real actors over the better anime counterparts, but at least I understood what was going on. Kinda Laughing
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:07 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Now that have somewhat regained my composure from that relatively orgasmic and highly entertaining 'wait', I must offer my utmost congratulations to Bandai Entertainment. I have full confidence that the dub will be excellent; all I need is a guarantee that we'll also have the songs dubbed, localized, and packaged and the DVDs are as good as pre-ordered.

I must also offer a round of applause to Kadokawa for their excellent marketing; such reminds me a lot of Burger King's methods, but on a much more personal and enjoyable scale. This honored company not only recognized that Haruhi is an 'otaku/weeaboo' show, they actually went out and attempted to cater to said market. Not only that, we have a flurry of hilarious internet memes, references to a certain fansubber and Baka-Tsuki's translations.

Incredible research, wonderful effort, excellent impact. A thumbs up is warranted! Wink
I agree with this -- the video really captured the spirit of the series, as hot as it is here in InternetCultureLand. I don't know about dubbing the OP/ED (even Funimation has fallen out of that habit lately), but it'll be interesting to see what they do with the insert songs in episode 12. Note also that Chris B. of AnimeOnDVD has been in on the joke since the start, as we can presume from his forums and the video credits. It'll be fun to see what Bandai comes up with, since this isn't exactly their type of material, since most of their series are action/sci-fi/fantasy/mecha, with a few forays into romantic comedy (Love Hina, Please Teacher/Twins) and cutesy "otaku anime" like Galaxy Angel and Digi Charat Nyo...oh, wait Embarassed , they haven't actually completed releasing those last two. Madcap wacky comedy has generally been more of an ADV/Funimation realm, or so we thought.
I'm hoping for Bang Zoom on the dub--aside from some odd inconsistencies, I liked the Scrapped Princess dub (or at least, it didn't "ruin" my favorite series) and I've watched four discs of Planetes almost entirely in English.

However, Bandai has run into some problems recently (poor disc authoring, sketchy transfers, non-existant extras, flimsy/non-existant artboxes), and while there will be many fans who'll snatch up those discs as soon as they show up for pre-order, others will be looking for any excuse to say "these DVDs fail it, I'm sticking to the fansubs." That second group, of course, gets no special thanks Laughing
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:18 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I don't know about dubbing the OP/ED (even Funimation has fallen out of that habit lately), but it'll be interesting to see what they do with the insert songs in episode 12.

Hm... I dunno. I mean, it'd be interesting to hear the ed theme sung by the dub VAs for the dub, just to stay to the style of the series, and they'll have to have the dub VA sing for ep 12, because I really, really doubt whoever they choose for that role is going to have a voice that matches the Japanese one. But! Even if they dub the songs, they might still keep the lyrics in Japanese, possibly.

...though I honestly doubt that any VA could live up to the performance given by Aya Hirano in that scene. That was like the single moment of the series that just made my jaw DROP as I watched/heard it, it was that good. Granted, I'd love to hear it if the dub can match that, but I'm gonna be highly skeptical. So in other words, surprise me, Bandai!
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:26 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:

...though I honestly doubt that any VA could live up to the performance given by Aya Hirano in that scene. That was like the single moment of the series that just made my jaw DROP as I watched/heard it, it was that good. Granted, I'd love to hear it if the dub can match that, but I'm gonna be highly skeptical. So in other words, surprise me, Bandai!

There's no way another actor could fill the shoes of Hirano, so it's of the utmost importance to not try and deliberately emulate her, but rather present an original performance to the best of the lucky actor's ability. I'd be content with a good English dub over Hirano's songs; even if they did not surpass the originals, I'd prefer them if they were well sung and well done.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:28 am Reply with quote
As long as Bandai doesn't let whomever subbing it to give it "dubtitles", I'll be good with whatever dub there is, good or bad. Accurate subtitles and I'm fine. Bad subtitles and a poor dub (like Zeta Gundam), I'm going to provoke Haruhi into resetting the world faster than you can say "Snow White".

Also, if I was watching the dub, I'd prefer no dubbing over the songs in episode 12 - dubbing over insert songs is obnoxious and never, ever done well - not once in the history of anime dubs. And to dub over the OP and ED would be a travesty of epic proportions.

But like I said, as long as there's a good quality Japanese track with accurate subtitles, the dub can be however it is.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:35 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:32 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
There's no way another actor could fill the shoes of Hirano, so it's of the utmost importance to not try and deliberately emulate her, but rather present an original performance to the best of the lucky actor's ability. I'd be content with a good English dub over Hirano's songs; even if they did not surpass the originals, I'd prefer them if they were well sung and well done.

This is true. I only was speaking of a good performance, not necessarily Hirano's performance.

...I mean, I ended up liking that so much that I actually prefer the version of the song in the episode itself to the one released on CD. Even with the background noise and such. It's just downright impressive.

Though on a related note, it amused me muchly that apparently I was the only one of the group of my friends watching Haruhi who got the ENOZ -> ZONE reference on my own. Funny how I'd been trying to expose people to ZONE for years and then the group goes and gets referenced in a hit novel/anime series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 27