• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Kitchen Avenger

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
I wish i could order super powers online...oh wait no credit card. Darn.

I really enjoyed Deathnote #9...and I want to read D.GRAY-MAN but i think of FMA everytime. Messed up arm and eye...Ed with a messed up (missing) arm and leg.

Maybe i'll get into it soon.

Anyone whos read/watched further think i'll be missing something?

Junk is a comedy right? Because the way you described some of those events made it sound like one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
I remember someone saying it may just be impossible for anyone to actually hate an Adachi manga. Even if every story he writes is exactly like the last one he's such a great storyteller that they're usually worth the read. Despite the fact his most famous manga are usually long (and of course feature sports and romance), I think his best work can be found in his short story collections like Adventure Boys and Short Program, which is available in english. Great to see him getting some attention from a major website.

I was a bit suprised when I heard that someone actually licenced another Asamiya manga, especially one where he indulges his obsession with superheroes. Never really been a fan but his take on Batman was suprisingly good, so I might just give Junk a shot.

Last edited by Kagemusha on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Junk is a comedy right? Because the way you described some of those events made it sound like one.

Nah, it's totally serious.

Although with the way the story is I can see how it would be unintentionally hilarious. (Kia Asamiya looooves cheesy American heroes a little too much.)
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
To complicate matters even further, he accidentally destroys his home and kills his parents! (oops!)

Yeah, that's what Oedipus said, too.

Also...they actually made a magical girl cooking manga? o.o; And here I thought the idea my team came up with at last NDK's Gatcha-Pun Pitch was original.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:14 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
I remember someone saying it may just be impossible for anyone to actually hate an Adachi manga. Even if every story he writes is exactly like the last one he's such a great storyteller that they're usually worth the read. Despite the fact his most famous manga are usually long (and of course feature sports and romance), I think his best work can be found in his short story collections like Adventure Boys and Short Program, which is available in english. Great to see him getting some attention from a major website.

I loved what I read of Short Program (the first time I picked it up in the bookstore was because it was right next to Short Cuts Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop) but I don't know much about Adachi as a mangaka. Reading this review got me more curious about his other stuff, though.

Also, love the opening limerick. That should really be printed on the back cover of Death Note in place of the current synopsis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kuroro IX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Hm... does Touch have furigana?
Strephon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I really enjoyed Deathnote #9...and I want to read D.GRAY-MAN but i think of FMA everytime. Messed up arm and eye...Ed with a messed up (missing) arm and leg.

I can't really say it's an underappreciated work of genius or anything (going by the first three volumes of the manga, anyway) but it doesn't feel that much like FMA to me. Of course, part of the reason for that is that DGM is a standard monster-fighting shounen series, while FMA has elements that you don't see as often...in other words, it's not that DGM is very original, just that its unoriginal elements bear only a superficial resemblance to FMA. (Just as you could argue that FMA bears a superficial resemblance to Trigun...both series have main characters with blond hair, red coats and prosthetic arms they use as weapons, after all.)
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
and I want to read D.GRAY-MAN but i think of FMA everytime. Messed up arm and eye...Ed with a messed up (missing) arm and leg.

I haven't read any more than the preview that was in Shonen Jump magazine a while back, but based on what I saw, I thought the exact same thing. It seemed to "borrow" too many ideas/at least character designs from FMA for me to really care about it.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I demand more promotion of Adachi love.

Kagemusha wrote:
Despite the fact his [Adachi] most famous manga are usually long (and of course feature sports and romance), I think his best work can be found in his short story collections like Adventure Boys and Short Program, which is available in english.

Short Program is no longer in print, so one would have to seek out a used copy of the anthology (easily enough done). Short Program 2 is still in print, however, and it has my favorite short story from Adachi in it, Spring Passes. For anyone who is curious to check out his stuff, check the two books out. (Sadly, those are the only two works of his available in English as far as I'm aware.)

Josh7289 wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
and I want to read D.GRAY-MAN but i think of FMA everytime. Messed up arm and eye...Ed with a messed up (missing) arm and leg.

I haven't read any more than the preview that was in Shonen Jump magazine a while back, but based on what I saw, I thought the exact same thing. It seemed to "borrow" too many ideas/at least character designs from FMA for me to really care about it.

D.Gray-man doesn't "borrow" more ideas than most shounen out there, and never really goes so far as to be completely generic and/or rip-off previous story arcs of other shounen (Black Cat and Hunter X Hunter are two of the most blatant examples of this). Mind you, this is coming from someone who views it as one of his favorite guilty pleasures, but I find D.Gray-man to be more worthwhile than the likes of the previously mentioned shounen series, as well as the likes of Bleach and Naruto.
Kida

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:05 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Also...they actually made a magical girl cooking manga? o.o; And here I thought the idea my team came up with at last NDK's Gatcha-Pun Pitch was original.

It's not magical girl per say; other than possessing an "absolute sense of taste", the heroine is pretty normal.
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Kida wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

It's not magical girl per say; other than possessing an "absolute sense of taste", the heroine is pretty normal.

For a magical girl cooking manga, check out Sweet Ichigo Chocolat. An 8-year-old girl finds a magical recipe book that ages her to the same age as her unrequited love (thirteen, I think) who works at a bakery. The book also gives her the recipe needed to solve the problems that come up in each chapter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
maichips

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I loved that Death Note limerick! I think it'd be great if you had an anime limerick contest, and even if there was no prize, the limerick would be posted with the poet's name in every Right Turn Only column!!! Very Happy
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
maichips wrote:
I loved that Death Note limerick! I think it'd be great if you had an anime limerick contest, and even if there was no prize, the limerick would be posted with the poet's name in every Right Turn Only column!!! Very Happy

...That's an awesome idea. Anime hyper And a contest I'd have a better chance in than the banner contest!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
Actually ... when I think of the most FMA-ripoffy series in Jump, it's got to be Buso Renkin. But that's really only because they both use elements of alchemy, so there's some shared words and concepts.

I can't think of anything that D.Gray-man is really "stealing" from; it's just ... very shounen-ish. I suppose a comparison to Bleach (and therefore also Yu Yu Hakusho by association) is appropriate, though, since they all use elements of the supernatural and focus on the special ability to sense and exterminate spirits.

Kuroro IX wrote:
Hm... does Touch have furigana?

Yes. (This was also the first time I translated the back-of-the-book synopsis without copying another summary or having to check with a dictionary!)

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
maichips wrote:

...That's an awesome idea. Anime hyper And a contest I'd have a better chance in than the banner contest!

Do I sense a ... suggestion?
Watttt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I love Adachi, he is one of my alltime favourite mangakas.

With the success he has had in France and Japan it is amazing that he has not been more translated into english. He is one of the true giants of manga yet almost completely overlooked in the US and much of Europe.

Nice to see that he`s getting some credit here at ANN though.
Good work Santos!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2