• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Eccentric Family (Uchōten Kazoku) (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I would also love if NISA gets this. I am so sad this hasn't been licensed yet that I would even be happy with Sentai.

I've had bad luck lately with shows I enjoyed getting picked up. Sad
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, way to jinx us on this title, Maidenoftheredhand.

Wink
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, way to jinx us on this title, Maidenoftheredhand.

Wink

Yes I am sorry everyone the anime gods hate me and I might have deprived you all of owning this title because I like it.

My bet is Siren Visual will get it.

But in all seriousness I do hope someone licenses it. At least it is only one cour and not a continuing series. That should help its chances a little I think.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Also, there's a piece of dialog we're missing from that ride, which might clear things up if Yajiro can remember what his father said, if it was important, that is.

I'm ridiculously pleased that they didn't leave us in the dark on this. Smile

willag wrote:
I kinda wonder about that old guy Benten was talking to though. ... spoiler[Is he a tanuki or a tengu or something else?]

I've been thinking he's a spoiler[tengu, judging by how he's drawn, with the beak nose and beady eyes.]

Also, I somehow don't think it's an accident that he spoiler[booked a room right next to the tanuki meeting...]
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
This might be the my favorite show of the season. I'm so glad that I noticed it.

Electric Brandy is Yajirō's spinach.

I've always found him very interesting and sympathetic. He has very classical characterization, but realized in a very distinctive way that's appropriate to the world of the story. It feels sort of 'literary', which fits. I pumped my first a little when he leapt (hopped?) into action. I enjoyed seeing the old-school streetcar and Sōichirō's final words were perfect.

I was so happy to see Ginkaku and Kinkaku get some comeuppance. Seriously, f**k those insufferable little jerks. I really want to see how this all ends, because I certainly can't guess just what's coming. There are so many players and events lined up to collide with more than a few things still in mystery. Benten remains a captivating, inscrutable character. I want to believe that we'll discover something special about her at the end.

Do the Friday Fellows know that the Tanuki are intelligent shapeshifters? Benten clearly knows, but I can't quite tell if the rest realize this. If some members are Tengu, but others human, perhaps it varies among them, which is a little interesting. I wish we know a little more about them. I've been wondering for a while when they were founded, what they do and why they have such a distasteful tradition.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sign me up for a NISA release too. This series deserves it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brett-Butler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Thing I just noticed (which everyone else probably picked up on weeks ago:

spoiler[In tanuki form, the four Shimogamo brothers all have a different symbol from a deck of playing cards on their belly. Yasaburo has a diamond and Yaichiro has a spade for example. ]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I didn't notice that.
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
willag wrote:
I kinda wonder about that old guy Benten was talking to though. ... spoiler[Is he a tanuki or a tengu or something else?]

I've been thinking he's a spoiler[tengu, judging by how he's drawn, with the beak nose and beady eyes.]

Also, I somehow don't think it's an accident that he spoiler[booked a room right next to the tanuki meeting...]

Pretty sure spoiler[he is the one who started the group tradition of eating tanuki as well. Going to take a stab in the dark and say that he is likely one of the tengu Soichiro scared away all those years ago.]

Surrender Artist wrote:

Do the Friday Fellows know that the Tanuki are intelligent shapeshifters? Benten clearly knows, but I can't quite tell if the rest realize this. If some members are Tengu, but others human, perhaps it varies among them, which is a little interesting. I wish we know a little more about them. I've been wondering for a while when they were founded, what they do and why they have such a distasteful tradition.

Only Benten and probably the older guy who appeared in these latest episodes know. The rest are humans with no idea of what they are doing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
Pretty sure he is the one who started the group tradition of eating tanuki as well.

Jurojin is his name (have we heard it before?). But danilo07 pointed out several pages ago that Junichiro Tanizaki was said to have started the hotpot custom. But then again, the one who they heard that from was Jurojin, so maybe he made that up. Smile

I mentioned Yasaburo's diamond motif back at episode 3, but I didn't say anything about the others since he's the only one who always carries that through to his human forms as well. Also, their muzzles are defined by the same shape that's on their bellies. And the old man Yasaburo became to enter the restaurant looked like his father's twin brother. Just bushier brows. Smile
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Great ending, nothing Earth shattering just small changes and a heart warming conclusion.

I am going to really miss this show and I still pray it gets picked up in the States. For now it is not only my favorite of the summer but my favorite of the year.

Well tied with Shin Sekai Yori & Shirokuma Cafe (although both those actually started in 2012).
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Very nice final episode with a good balance of funny and heartwarming moments. spoiler[I laughed when the tanuki realized they were in the company of the Friday Fellows and all of them transformed at once and i shed a tear when Yaijiro finally spoke with his mother again. And Benten kinda saved the day in the end but remained a mystery.]

Definitely my favourite show of the season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
What choice do I have but to bestow an Excellent rating on this marvelous show (the only summer show to be so honoured by me, I believe)? I loved it all: the look, the characters, the humour, the situations, the pathos.

By the way, folks, THAT'S how you do a finale. You get the climax out of the way with enough time left-over to have a proper leave-taking. Can't tell you how annoying it is to have climax and then leave only about a minute for the post-wrap (hello, Gatchaman Crowds).

Anyway... NISA, NISA, NISA!!!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
That was a wonderful finale for a true unexpected treasure of a series. It kept very true to the tone that it had set. It concluded the story in a quirky, affectionate way that felt tied back to much of what came before. I appreciated how understated this series was. The movement of the story and and emotional arcs of the characters were very clear, but never ostentatious or overbearing. It never went too much on the nose or paused to contrive explanations into the narrative. It trusted us to follow and enjoy, which I immensely appreciated.

What's more, it felt emotionally conclusive, probably because it emphasized that life that they were living and its continuance rather than sewing the story up. It was really touching Yajirou spoke with his mother and when they all thumped their bellies. I'm a big fan of '...and life went on' epilogues like this had. It felt perfect for that show that this was. As the theme song played over that last montage, I had this funny sort of smile on my face.

It was my favorite of the season.

I'm glad that I noticed the attention that this series was getting. I'm happier for having seen it. I had low hopes for this summer, but it turned out quite well. This was a sort of funny season like that. I was rewarded when took a chance on Watamote against my usual prohibition on watching shows with sentence for titles and I took The Eccentric Family up late. I'm glancing suggestively at Gatchaman Crowds now too...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

A satisfactory ending, but I would really like to see some conclusion to the Kaisei and Yasaburou thing.

Might jump straight into my opinions of the show. While many of you loved this show and found it to be a favourite, to me it was boring, it was good, but pretty boring. The rating I give it is Decent, I did not lose my time. We spent so much time going along with the characters, that I rarely felt excited, very humoured, or fully sympathise with a lot of their actions or their views. A lot of my opinions of this was that it reminded me of Tatami Galaxy, which I hated.

The OP was somewhat catchy, although I did not like the animation that much, and the ED was completely boring that it was a pain to watch it. Character names of the characters were too hard to remember. If there was something I liked, it was probably Yasaburou near the beginning where he would turn into a girl and blur the lines of gender. Actually the shape shifting thing in general, it was a fun element, but it felt a bit lacking at the same time to make up for what I did not really care for. Kaisei was something I would have liked to have seen more of.

In the end tastes are diverge between people, and my tastes do not quite match up with this show, but it was fun anyway.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13/Finale
Great episode, great series overall. I am glad that spoiler[no one got eaten.] Also, the little moments between Benten and Yasaburou are just so fun to watch. Ofc, I can say that the same to Akadama-sensei ~

I'm rating this series very good. The ED song is brilliant imo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11