• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Unveils Ikki Tousen: Great Guardians' Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Is this like the first dub that uses nearly all the major English dub regions of the U.S.? Shocked
stove top stuffing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Carrie Savage is back? YES! I can't wait to own this.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I am still not a big Ikki Tousen fan. Always felt it was an overhyped show, not that good fight scenes. Always will.

But moving aside that, they got Carrie Savage & Jessica Calvello?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh, yes, I've been waiting for ages to see the English version of Great Guardians. Dragon Destiny from Media Blasters was a total train wreck. Mad

However...
I have to wonder why Ekitoku Chouhi was mentioned twice in the cast?

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Is this like the first dub that uses nearly all the major English dub regions of the U.S.? Shocked

Not quite. The One Piece: Strong World dub has Scott McNeil in it, so it has actors from NY, LA, Texas AND Canada. Cool

On topic: FUNimation must've really taken the backlash from fans to heart after the re-casts that happened in Trigun, Sengoku Basara, & Shana. If they're willing enough to get most of the original cast back for Ikki Tousen - a dub which, for the most part, isn't particularly good - then this gives me hope for the eventual dubs of BlazBlue and Hyperdimension Neptunia. Smile
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Not quite. The One Piece: Strong World dub has Scott McNeil in it, so it has actors from NY, LA, Texas AND Canada. Cool

Canada's a part of the US?
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

On topic: FUNimation must've really taken the backlash from fans to heart after the re-casts that happened in Trigun, Sengoku Basara, & Shana. If they're willing enough to get most of the original cast back for Ikki Tousen - a dub which, for the most part, isn't particularly good - then this gives me hope for the eventual dubs of BlazBlue and Hyperdimension Neptunia. Smile

Pretty sure it's more to due with the fact of keeping Jonathan Klein and New Generation Pictures happy since FUNi still needs the studio for the final Hellsing Ultimate episodes when they're eventually licensed.

Might be some bitterness by NGP if denied the chance to work on a dub they previously worked on and already got snubbed for season 2 by Media Blasters

I also doubt FUNi had any personal involvement in the casting and the decision was made by NGP who made the effort to get the some of the Dragon Destiny cast who weren't already voiced by someone else in season 1. No surprise there since they've done it before e.g. getting the same VAs from Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes for Marvel vs Capcom 3

Last edited by FrameFreeze100 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

..............Yes. Yes they are. Razz Laughing
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
then this gives me hope for the eventual dubs of BlazBlue and Hyperdimension Neptunia. Smile

THIS!!! Though for Ikki Tousen, I did not like the dub at all because of Carrie Savage. She is wonderful in games, but not with anime IMO. She was somewhat good in Sargent Frog though. But that was a Fosterlike script changed dub. Other than that. Hope this comes true too. "sneaky heart, sneaky Heart!". "squirel powa you know!"

Next thing is off topic!

SpacemanHardy wrote:
FUNimation must've really taken the backlash from fans to heart after the re-casts that happened in Trigun, Sengoku Basara, & Shana.

Don't forget Eva Rebuild Movies. Though its understandable that it was not possible since majority of the awesome cast in that show basically disapeared off the face of the earth. Only thing I had major problems was with Brina. J Tatum as an Eva fan brought Kaji to a T, but not as humoungeous as Aaron Khrons performance which I consider to be Cowboy Bebop level. "My My, That Was One Eventfull Trip!"

Oh, can't forget Kurt as Kensuke! Anime hyper. "-_-........The Calm........The Piece and Tranquility.....".
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
On topic: FUNimation must've really taken the backlash from fans to heart after the re-casts that happened in Trigun, Sengoku Basara, & Shana.

Either that or Jonathan Klein pushed FUNi to get it dubbed at New Generation Pictures and got a better response than he did from Media Blasters when it came to Dragon Destiny. Judging by his posts about the DD dub at the old AOD forums, he and the staff & cast did like Ikki Tousen so it wouldn't surprise me if that's what happened when FUNi picked up the rest.
The American Average

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
FUNimation must've really taken the backlash from fans to heart after the re-casts that happened in Trigun, Sengoku Basara, & Shana.

lets hope so, nothing drives me up the wall more when original casts are not kept. Laughing
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

No but it does share the same region with games, dvd's, bluray etc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Not sure which is better: this dub cast, or the chance to get this series with actual competent subtitles.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so the FUNi panel already happened? And there wasn't a slew of new licenses? Darn.
MentalMachine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Christina Vee is so HOT. Seriously. Why does that girl do voice acting? Aside from the fact she can't act, she is HOT. She should do modelling or something.

Also, bringing in VAs from out of state doesn't mean this isn't any less of a Funimation dub than anything else. DBZ 1996-1998, Roberta's Blood Trail, Slayers Revolution and Hellsing Ultimate are still Funimation dubs. I actually wish Funimation outsourced more dubs to LA. They seem to be the only place in North America that can consistently dub. The rest are hit and miss and I'm not even a dub hater. I'm just not a fan of most dubs that aren't from LA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3