• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 10th Anniversary of Pokemon in Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coffee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Can't believe the pokecraze has been going this long. It's really come a long way hasn't it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Rica Matsumoto <3 <3 <3 My favorite seiyuu! I just got her 2-disc Best CD in the mail yesterday (which has the Pokemon theme on it), so what a good time for this article. Anime hyper

I saw her at Otakon 2003 and she sang Mezase Pokemon Master for us acapella. It was amazing. *_* I think she had another North American convention appearance later but I missed it. Sad I hope she comes back.

10th anniversary for Pokemon... This is also the 10th year that I've been into anime. x_X I might be going to Japan this year, so I wonder if they'll still have celebrations for it by the time I get there in the fall. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, if the Pokémon anime was given a good released over here in North America on DVD in the original Japanese version with the original Japanese music and accurate subtitles, I'd buy it all. I loved watching the early episodes, especially, and the recent hype over Diamon and Pearl has started to get me interested in the franchise again.

I'd also like to see these 10th anniversary specials on TV Tokyo. Unless someone fansubs it or uploads it somewhere raw, I guess I'll never see it. Sad
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe it has been that long already. I remember the days I first fell in love with this series... I can''t believe the craze has really been going on for that long.

Well, knowing that there will be two specials coming up makes up for not having any new episodes last week. I can't wait to see them.
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it's amazing that it's already been 10 years. The article was really a wonderful read. I never knew about a lot of that stuff.

Matsumoto-san is hands down one of my favorite VAs of all time, anywhere. Satoshi is still probably my favorite male anime character of all time. I became attached to his character very early in the series, when I first got interested in Pocket Monsters, and this was when all I knew was the lousy chopped-up English dub version. When I saw Pocket Monsters the way it's meant to be, in the original uncut Japanese, I liked his character all over again. Matsumoto-san is the one and only Satoshi, she completely brought him to life. She's an incredibley gifted actress.

I get so drawn in and emotional when I watch Poketto Monsutaa: Myuutsuu no Gyakushuu (Pocket Monsters: Mewtwo Strikes Back), one of my 3 absolute favorite movies of all time, and her powerful performance is certainly a part of that. She conveyed so much emotion when Satoshi spoiler[watches in horror, breathing heavily as the Pokemon lie on the ground half-dead from their brutal fighting, and finally runs into the field, screaming for them to stop. "Yamero. Mo yamete kure!! Yamero!!!" :'(]

I also recall the 4th movie, when spoiler[Celebi dies]. Satoshi really sounded like he was crying. It sounded so authentic it made me tear up.

Even with the very first episode, she immediately brought the character to life. It wouldn't have been Pocket Monsters without her.

Certainly though, the whole cast deserves credit. Each seiyuu couldn't have done better (who could ever forget Ootani Ikue's immortal performance as Pikachuu, a voice so cute it hurts, recognized all over the world). Also, just as much so, the staff deserves a great applause. The writing was at times amazing, and I can't describe my love for the music. The opening and ending themes are excellent, especially "Mezase Pokemon Masutaa", the classic Pokemon song, but the movies songs "Chiisaki Mono" and "Kaze to Issho Ni" are some of my absolute favorite songs ever, no doubt. They're just too beautiful for words. But nothing tops the score for me, composed by Miyazaki Shinji-san. Some of his background music, especially that found in the 1st movie, moves me beyond words. I could go on and on about it.

Pocket Monsters is unforgettable, especially for someone like me, who has such fond memories of it when it was new, but even if one isn't a fan, he/she cannot deny the amazing positive impact it's had on anime as a whole.

All I can ask now is that Japan release the series on DVD. The owe it to the fans all over the world. I can't expect to ever see it uncut in the US (*scowls at Pokemon USA*), but I would hope that at least Japan would release it on DVD. Then I can finally have something better than my custom DVDs made from downloaded raw episodes! Anime hyper

Anyway, long live Pocket Monsters! "Pokemon, getto da ze!" Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
hamtaroboy2006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow it's really cool that Pokemon's tenth anniversary is here. Last year was the game's anniversary, but this year is the anime anniversary. I have to say that my favorite character is Satoshi and he's a very unforgetable person. Always one to take a challenge head on. Rica Matsumoto does a fine job voicing him. I met her last year at Animazement 2006 and she's really cool. Like Jeikobu said the music is great for such a series, especially one based off of a video game.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Jeikobu wrote:
All I can ask now is that Japan release the series on DVD. The owe it to the fans all over the world. I can't expect to ever see it uncut in the US (*scowls at Pokemon USA*), but I would hope that at least Japan would release it on DVD. Then I can finally have something better than my custom DVDs made from downloaded raw episodes! Anime hyper

Anyway, long live Pocket Monsters! "Pokemon, getto da ze!" Very Happy

What? It hasn't been released on DVD yet in Japan? Yeah, a quick check on amazon.co.jp seems to indicate this.

That's just insane. Shocked
PhatPhil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote
On the game topic, give me a console Pokemon game with real time action/RTS/tactic style in gameplay and I'll start playing the series again.

On topic of the anime, there's never been anything for the pokemon series that really tries to cater to its original fans anymore. Come on, give me some depth, give me some violence, give me drama, ANYTHING to break up the episodic monotony the series has! Granted it wasn't anything special before...

Bah, nevermind. I've lost my interest, doesn't matter anymore~
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quote
seriously no japanese DVDs?!

That sucks...so i guess people either tape or tivo every show there and sell them bootleg or they buy the US releases which pales in comparison to theirs.

Anyway i think everyone in my gen of anime fandom has a fond memory of loving pokemon. i remember watching it in the early days or its release in syndication until kids WB blew it up on saturdays.

i remember my guy friends loved the cards and gamers like the game and i liked the figures and tv show.

Heck who doesnt know the lst american pokemon theme song in my gen...nobody doesnt know it!. i wonder how they're gonna treat the 10th yr anniversary here? probably a mess of CN pokemon specials and showing all the movies.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, Pokemon.

Even after all these years, it's still my overall favourite anime series. Sure, it's repetitive, and the pacing is as slow as a snail too. But watching the series at this point lets me reminisce about the good 'ol days when I was in the whole craze. Pokemon is often light-hearted in nature, and for me, that makes it fun for me to watch, even at this point. I also want to see if Satoshi/Ash will ever achieve his dream of becoming a Pokemon Master. Yeah, it probably won't happen, but you never know!
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I would buy Japanese uncut Pokemon DVDs in an instant. >/

hamtaroboy2006 wrote:
I met her last year at Animazement 2006 and she's really cool.

That's where it was. I always seem to be unable to go to Animazement, and they get the best seiyuu. Crying or Very sad
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Weird how our oversea buddies don't have DVDs of Pokemon and we do.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Jeikobu wrote:
*awkward silence*

I dont think I've ever seen as much japanophelia in a pokemon thread ever as I have just done now.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Pokemon, even if it has lost it's magic touch in the recent years, will always have a place in my heart. I used to watch new Pokemon episodes every Saturday with great enthusiasm. Pokemon is and was the gateway to the world of anime for so many fan, including me. I was sad when PKMN USA replaced the dub voices as I was very attached to them. The dub did a very good job, despite being by one of the most hated companies we know of, 4Kids. Satoshi/Ash's voice is actually quite close to Miss Matsumoto's performance (well, from what I've heard, I saw a video on Youtube comparing Ash's speech in the first episode and they sounded very similar).
Even though my interest has waned, I still remember Pokemon fondly as a precious childhood memory.
rizha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Amazing! It has been ten whole years. I remember Pokemon airing in the Philippines when I was young and now being 17, I still remember the times I had with it. My friends and I fell in love with Pikachu (I swear everyone did) and when I moved to Canada, to my surprise Pokemon was here as well. I'm still kind of fond of the series since I grew up with it... well, Pokemon is still up and growing. That's so nice =) It gives other children the chance to experience what my generation experienced.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3