• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maiden Japan Adds Myself; Yourself TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh. Um... Yay? Neutral
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
a well rated series actually. I hope this is the first of a couple of announcements from Maiden japan as other than the Patlabor Blu ray parts left they have nothing else in the pipeline to my knowledge
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
well that's nice. I'll be picking that one up
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
There were people asking for this?

I mean, this is the series where spoiler[a brother and sister realize they're in love with each other and decide to drop out of high school and runaway together, and when they show up again in the distant finale they've faced absolutely no negative consequences for their choice.]
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I watched this 6 years ago or whatever, and I don't remember anything about it, except that it wasn't particularly good or bad.

Seems like an odd time to go back and get it, but maybe there's enough interest out there.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:

I mean, this is the series where spoiler[a brother and sister realize they're in love with each other and decide to drop out of high school and runaway together, and when they show up again in the distant finale they've faced absolutely no negative consequences for their choice.]

Man, I really don't remember anything about it.
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I loved this series when it aired so I will be picking it up.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

I think you're being rather unfair on the show there. In the case of the spoiler[brother and sister they were quite happy to keep their relationship as siblings but due to some nasty rumors were basically forced to run away or be separated as siblings. And as to no consequences, well I don't think anyone else in the audience spotted them.]

Overall I found this surprisingly good for a eroge visual novel adaptation.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

I think you're being rather unfair on the show there. In the case of the spoiler[brother and sister they were quite happy to keep their relationship as siblings but due to some nasty rumors were basically forced to run away or be separated as siblings. And as to no consequences, well I don't think anyone else in the audience spotted them.]

Overall I found this surprisingly good for a eroge visual novel adaptation.

That's what I remember of the situation as well. They weren't actually spoiler[in love with one another, a bunch of incest rumors got them bullied out of school]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I hate to be one of "those" posters, but I can't help it: I desperately want Maiden Japan to license Zombie-Loan (only because they seem the imprint most likely to pick it up) so any time I see a license announcement from them that isn't the one I want I'm always ... sad. I guess I should just get over it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Grabbing up older titles from the 2006-2009 era that might have been passed over seems like a nice source of revenue if the releases are kept cheap in production and licensing. I can think of many other shows that could just be grabbed up randomly, like Zombie Loan, Mushiuta, Good Witch of the West, H2O (was apparently licensed but did anything ever come of it?) Hatenkou Yuugi, and so on. They're all 1-cours series, so not much of an issue to get them out quick-like when you're not dropping at least $6,000 per episode for a dub, and the time extension required for that.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yasuhiro Kuroda (Kämpfer, Modern Magic Made Simple) directed the anime under chief director Tetsuaki Matsuda (episode director for Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal).

It doesn't make much sense that someone who has been a "kantoku" for a number of series would be under someone who has only been an episode/unit director (enshutsu). Double-checking, Tetsuaki Matsuda is more specifically credited as チーフ演出 (Chief Unit Director), so it should indeed be the other way around.
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
H2O (was apparently licensed but did anything ever come of it?).

H20 was indeed licensed at one point by Kadokawa's US licensing unit, but it shut down before releasing that title among others it licensed with the intent to distribute them outside Japan. There was an article written by ANN on that very matter; you can read it here.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they can include some OST with full versions of the OP and ED songs. I kinda liked those songs...
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Maybe they can include some OST with full versions of the OP and ED songs. I kinda liked those songs...
That would be awesome. the OST was great and this was the anime that introduced me to Itou Kanako.

I actually really liked this anime. The only part that I didn't like was spoiler[that it took one of the characters 10 years to write a 15 second song Anime hyper]
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I honestly never understood the hype and adoration surrounding this anime. When I saw it about three and a half to four years ago (marathoned it with my sister), it felt rushed, and a lot of the drama also felt forced and contrived. While I do admit that the spoiler[incest subplot] was handled tastefully (and that Aoi was an utter laugh riot), none of the drama felt genuine. It was either rushed and poorly developed or just not very well-written. spoiler[I think I also remember there being a sort of lesbian-love-triangle subplot of some kind that I didn't particularly care for, but my memory of the series is a bit foggy as it is.]

While this is a great thing for people who liked it (and there are a lot of them), I'm gonna give it a pass. It didn't really do anything for me the first time around, and I really don't think it'll do anything for me a second time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2