• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Manga Has 345 Million Copies in Print Worldwide

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I do believe that's the largest number of manga volumes in circulation. Well done, One Piece. You defeated Dragonball in that regard. Still... any chance you could start looking for the damn One Piece now?
BTW, I heard there's going to be some interview where they are actually going to explain exactly how the devil fruits work.
Drac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm really not sure why they wasted the money on an ad in the New York Times as I doubt One Piece has even sold close to 1 Million copies in the US. Maybe a German or French publication would have served them better in getting the word out where more then a few non fans might give a damn.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Drac wrote:
I'm really not sure why they wasted the money on an ad in the New York Times as I doubt One Piece has even sold close to 1 Million copies in the US. Maybe a German or French publication would have served them better in getting the word out where more then a few non fans might give a damn.

It's sold 45 MILLION copies outside Japan. America is the biggest non-Asian market. You're seriously going to try to claim such an utterly laughable number?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:
Drac wrote:

America is the biggest non-Asian market.

Nah, probably France is the biggest non-Asian market. America could be 3rd though. But yeah, 'close to 1 million copies' is quite a low number for something that has 68 volumes released over here.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Out of those 45 million copies, France accounts for at least 9 million copies (as of June 2013) :

Quote:
Avec 9 millions d’exemplaires vendus en France, ONE PIECE est depuis plusieurs années en tête des ventes mondiales de bandes dessinée.

Quote:

With 9 million copies sold in France, ONE PIECE has been at the top of the worldwide comic sales for several years.

http://www.mythologica.net/one-piece-music-symphony-debarque-a-paris/

It's probably third in the all time manga sales here. Dragon Ball and Naruto are the top 2 with around 14 million for each of them.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
well done One Piece, congrats for your achievement (BTW, I'm not even a fan but I'm happy to see a manga making this achievement). Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Apparently America has bought enough of them that Shueisha saw fit to thank us, and to that I say you're welcome. (One Piece has consistently ranked among the manga Best Sellers in the Times, and has spent some time at #1)

I'm going to call tomorrow and order a reproduction of the page (or maybe I'll just buy a copy of the actual issue and cut the ad out).
Drac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Viz doesn't release actual sales figures but they have toted how much Naruto has sold in the past. The first time the series sold 1 Million copies and a later figure of 3 Million. They've never done that with One Piece or any of their other titles.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
Apparently America has bought enough of them that Shueisha saw fit to thank us, and to that I say you're welcome. (One Piece has consistently ranked among the manga Best Sellers in the Times, and has spent some time at #1)

I'm going to call tomorrow and order a reproduction of the page (or maybe I'll just buy a copy of the actual issue and cut the ad out).

I am going to do the same! It's really cool to see such a large ad in a major paper, but I do question how much overlap there is between New York Times readership and people who would buy the manga.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I just bought two copies. Real happy to see a manga like One Piece in something as well known as the New York Times. It made my day and the rest of my week.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Reason to buy a newspaper: aquired.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:
Drac wrote:

It's sold 45 MILLION copies outside Japan. America is the biggest non-Asian market. You're seriously going to try to claim such an utterly laughable number?

America is not the biggest non-Asian market for Manga. lol

EU is the second biggest market. France is the second biggest manga market by country. OP average like 100+k a week in France.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
LinkSword

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, that drawing kicks marine ass.

Really happy for my favorite manga/series ever. Every piece of news like this puts a giant smile on my face.

Also, someone please get me a copy of that newspaper.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I, too, will be ordering a copy.
lLuffyl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I do believe that's the largest number of manga volumes in circulation. Well done, One Piece. You defeated Dragonball in that regard. Still... any chance you could start looking for the damn One Piece now?
BTW, I heard there's going to be some interview where they are actually going to explain exactly how the devil fruits work.

One Piece actually surpassed DragonBall years ago. I'm pretty sure by this point One Piece has actually almost doubled the sale of DragonBall in total.

DragonBall was the highest selling manga. It was a crazy record. Without DragonBall we probably wouldn't have One Piece. I'm very happy that my favorite manga has set such a record. I will always respect DragonBall and I hope One Piece keeps climbing higher.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2