• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Samurai Flamenco Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
As for the first six episodes I thought they were pretty enjoyable and well played out spoiler[of course I am, for the moment disregarding episode 7].

To be honest I kind of like it when shows take their time to build up to their overarching story like this, it helps me give an incentive to give a damn about the people involved and makes up a good chunk as to why I want to continue as well as just being fun.

Last edited by Thatguy3331 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I feel this review should have included episode 7, if only cause the last 5 minutes of it seems to have changed EVERYTHING, and everything this review has said (while well written and summed up my feelings up to episode 6) might have to be thrown out the window lol

Unless it gets explained in the next episode and everything goes back to normal, in which case nevermind
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Good review. It hits the nail on the head. Sadly, it also makes me realize what I missed over my too busy weekend... Episode 7 is still sitting there waiting for me to partake of it... Why didn't I get to it? No idea...

That is, in essence, where Samurai Flamenco has been sitting for me all season. When I watch it, I enjoy it tremendously, but when the next week's episode is available, along with the boatload of other shows that come out in the Wed. - Fri time frame, it seems to languish in the back. I ended up watching the first episode, then doing a marathon with the first four when I hadn't picked it up again for four weeks.

I guess I know what I'll be doing over lunch today... Smile (I will now exit this thread until I have seen it since I don't want unintentional spoilers from people saying, "Yeah, but in episode 7... " and the like...)
RHorsman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Where to make the episode cut off must have been a hard decision (or this was turned in before the last ep ran).

I was one of the many who was initially disappointed this wasn't a full on superhero show, but it's quickly grown into one of my favorites this season. The "everyday superhero" ground has been trodden before, but there's a really nice, genuinely human take on it here that's lacking in things like Kick Ass. Reminds me a little of Bernie Mireault's "The Jam: Urban Adventure" comic from way back when.

Last edited by RHorsman on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I was under the impression that when it came to streaming reviews, it's either 1-6 or 1-END whatever number the total is.
DRWii

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I think this review pretty much explains what I love about the show (only better than I could and with more insight, of course). Easily one of the top 5 shows for me this season.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Good review, but the timing of its release could be the absolute worst or the absolute best. On the one hand, it provides a clear breakdown of what these first six episodes intend to do. At the same time, episode seven marks such a huge departure, it almost feels like a waste not to mention it at all. On the other hand, it may be a serious game changer, so everything from this point forward can be thought of as "Flamenco Before" and "Flamenco After".
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I honestly wanted to enjoy this show, but I dropped it because every episode felt like a chore to watch since I can't stand Flamenco Girl or Hazama.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 of Samurai Flamenco is like episode 3 of PMMM. Truly unexpected. It's sad that this review didn't include it.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to like this one, and for the first few episodes I did. It had a blend of realism and comedy that similar properties lacked and it "fixed" many of my complaints about Tiger and Bunny (which was the Gargantia, a show too focused on its "message" for its own good, of its day).

Then the ridiculousness came in: The policeman was a punk, office-supply "bat utilities", a Hummer in urban Japan (?!) and the crazy otaku pandering: I can only conclude that Super Sentai homage wasn't doing it for today's otaku and so this show had to bring in the crazed, brain-addled tamakeri-loving sadist pop idol to appeal to the masochists in the ranks of the Japanese Otaku (who, apparently, are legion).

...I fully expect that someone out there will craft a short AMV of this show to Stomp 'em in da Nuts by the Lethal Interjection Crew, the "fake" rap group from the TV show The Boondocks.
consignia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
Episode 7 of Samurai Flamenco is like episode 3 of PMMM. Truly unexpected. It's sad that this review didn't include it.

I don't know. I think the writing was on the wall pretty early in Madoka, that it was going to be that sort of series, and episode 3 fit thematically. The only thing that shocked me about it was how early it happened.

Samurai Flamenco's 7th episode is really kind of out there. It's completely different in tone to what happens before it.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
This is actually my favorite show of the season by far to be honest. No other show is near as fun and charming to me. It's the ONLY show I feel like I have to watch right when it comes out.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think I was going to like this show as much as I do now. Like Carl said, it's definitely a slow burn for the first few episodes, until things begin to escalate. I started to see it as the Japanese Kick-Ass, with Flamenco Girl as Hit Girl (though it's more like Crotch Stomp Girl... yeesh). Or maybe it's more like Super since they fight inconsequential infractions with inordinate amounts of attention (just not quite as violently). I was bored after the first few episodes, wanting more of an Astro Fighter Sunred comical approach to toku heroes, but it's that in a different way. I'm enjoying the dynamic of this really passionate guy who just wants to help people, even if he goes overboard in his execution and his relationship with the cop who just wants him to calm down and the girl who wants to be a hero too, but does it more for the rush. Definitely one of the better shows I'm watching this season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I am loving this show as one of my favorites of the season, though the latest episode ending did throw me for a loop. But I can still see it working out.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
Ignatz wrote:

I don't know. I think the writing was on the wall pretty early in Madoka, that it was going to be that sort of series, and episode 3 fit thematically. The only thing that shocked me about it was how early it happened.

Samurai Flamenco's 7th episode is really kind of out there. It's completely different in tone to what happens before it.

So I decided to get caught up on this series to see what the fuss was about episode 7, and uh...um.

Yeah, it's definitely not the same level of thing as Madoka. That scene was just an unexpected (to some) moment of spoiler["Oh, I guess people are going to die in this."] Flamenco's twist is that combined with a literally gigantic out-of-the-blue influx of the supernatural in a show that was completely realistic until that point, and it wasn't foreshadowed at all outside of a vague implication that a new opponent needed to appear. It took me several minutes to get over the overdose of WTF.

(Though, come to think of it, it may have been a reference to the shockingness of the Madoka scene, what with the spoiler[sudden growth of the enemy, followed by decapitation.])

It's possible it was just a dream sequence or something, but I didn't get that impression. Guess we'll know for sure after the next episode. Maybe pretty-boy is actually Haruhi?

Last edited by kotomikun on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2