• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Resogun

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raikuro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
It's also currently on Playstation Plus, so the $15 might be better off going towards a year of that.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Don't have a PS4 and don't really have plans to get one any time soon, but as a 'dyed in the wool shooter fan' (some of my favorite games are things like geometry wars and Gradius titles), this looks pretty spectacular.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
People who don't go in for high scores may find it too short, and anyone who isn't a dyed-in-the-wool shooter fan may find it too hard.

Not that I mind hard games -- Flying Shark, Twin Cobra and R-Type are among my favorite shooters -- but I kind of miss the days of longer stages where you didn't meet a new boss every 30 seconds. I don't mind the scores, really, but I would rather have a shooter take me on an adventure rather than give me points based on HOW I take care of the enemies.
daveriley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I also get more into the long-haul shooters (R-Type Final was a bittersweet perfection or the form), but for score attack kind of things, Resogun is the best I've played in a long time. It blew Super Stardust out of the water, as far as I'm concerned.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Why is this review acting as though this game alone has to somehow justify the cost of an entire console? Never seen that happen with any other game review on here.
daveriley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Because consoles exist to play video games, and there's limited reason to buy a newly launched console if it doesn't have a launch line-up to support it. To a certain extent, because the exclusive games for the PS4 and Xbox One are so few and far between, each game has to support the weight of the console's cost all by itself.

Also, to highlight the absurdity to the best launch game for the system being a $15 arcade shooter that, as Raikuro noted, is effectively free (for a month) with purchase.

Last edited by daveriley on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:
Why is this review acting as though this game alone has to somehow justify the cost of an entire console? Never seen that happen with any other game review on here.
Really never? Pretty much all the WiiU reviews will have at least a blurb about how it helps justify the WiiU.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
This new console cycle has been ridiculous since Day One.

I've never seen such fanboy console bickering since the Super NES/Genesis... it's just so pointless. Just buy the console with the exclusives you want and shut the hell up!

Other than that, you don't have to read too much to figure out what happened in the US.

MS bought the holiday.
They won because they gave more freebie consoles to reviewers than Sony did and because they had ridiculous price-cuts on the XBox 360 to upstage Sony.

Hats off to them for their ruthlessness but it doesn't mean the XBox 360 or XBone are any better deals than Sony's systems.
They're really about the same, all said and done... You just have to pick your poison and figure out who has more of the exclusives you like if you can only afford one system or only want to buy one.

I reluctantly put my hand into the Sony arena only because of the exclusives and the fact that I hate MS that much more than Sony as a company even though I'll admit the PS systems are about as failure-prone as the XBoxes with the exception of the 360 -- THAT ONE really took the cake as being the most trouble-prone console in videogame history! You couldn't ask for a bigger lemon than that system was the first four years of its lifespan with all the system failures.

It stinks to be a Nintendo fan now...
The Wii U really isn't doing that well. I think the very poor software library of the Wii hurt the rep of Nintendo. 100million in console sales means nothing in the long run if you have maybe 20 good games for the system AND ou're sowing the seeds of ruin for your next system! (SEGA sure learned that the hard way!) Nintendo's also done its best over the years to drive away hardcore gamers. I think that finally Mario and Pokemon really aren't enough to keep a Nintendo console alive unless it's a portable system. They need SOLID third party support desperately. What started with SEGA attempting to marginalize the NES and SNES as "kid consoles" has really been made worse by the sheer arrogance of Nintendo's management and their drive to stay a clean, "family" game console company. I hate to say this but at this point in time they're cleaner than even Disney and that's cost them big time in the videogame business.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
MS bought the holiday.
They won because they gave more freebie consoles to reviewers than Sony did and because they had ridiculous price-cuts on the XBox 360 to upstage Sony.

Please don't bring up "winning" or "losing" in such a haphazard manner.

It's incredibly idiotic and caustic to any sort of point you are attempting to establish.
IanC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:54 am Reply with quote
Nintendo won the holiday thanks to the one two of Pokémon and Zelda on the 3DS :p

But seriously for a moment. Im feeling very down on this "next gen" of gaming (or at least MS and Sony's version). It feels anti consumer, what with forced installs left right and centre, its like they are prepping everyone to go full on digital, at which point are we even going to own out games any more? Not really, it will be renting them for a period of a few years, then they will be gone when the next gen starts.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
Smile
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how forcing you to install data so the game can run is anti consumer.

It's not like it's there to not allow you to trade the game in or buy them used.

There's nothing anti-consumer about it. It's actually very pro consumer since the point of discs at this point is "here's another delivery mehnicasim to give you an option". Not sure how it's pushing you to all digital.

And either way how is that all like renting? It's the same thing as it is now. As long as you have the disk you can still use that disk to play the game. Ok another gen starts and those systems are not BC. So what? You can still play them on you're older system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1