• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III vs. Detective Conan Tops Box Office With 650 Million Yen

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
That TV special was awful.

Are Lupin and Conan at least actually at odds in this one?
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
That TV special was awful.

The TV special wasn't that bad, but it was missing the actual versus part and was too focused on original characters rather than the ones people would be watching that to see.
xScar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:39 am Reply with quote
I went and saw it opening night. I didn't reserve my tickets, so the next showing when I arrived to the theater was already sold out. The following showing only had a few seats left when I purchased them, which was over an hour before it played. The place was packed out, which really surprised me. When I went to see Ghibli's Kaguya on opening night, there weren't nearly as many people Neutral

Fronzel wrote:

More than they were in the TV special, but not like everyone keeps hoping they will. I seriously think the only real encounter is the cold open, which you can mostly see in the trailer. There's still the typical "bad" character that every Lupin special/movie has, instead of the two just going head to head.

And the story is just as typical too. Lupin's attempt to steal a jewel is foiled by the bad guy. Fujiko's messing with the bad guy, so Lupin has to save her while trying to get the jewel back. Meanwhile, Conan's trying to solve who stole the jewel -- thinking it was Lupin, when really it was this bad guy -- and eventually uncovers the dirt. Drama and action ensues.

Unlike the TV special (which was set in the fictional Vespania), the movie is set in Beika, so lots of Conan characters make appearances and cameos. It's also a sequel to the TV special, so events from it are referenced and all the characters already know each other. Thus, there's more Jigen/Conan and Fujiko/Haibara interactions like in the previous one. This time, Zenigata gets Sato, Takagi, and Shiratori as assistants on tracking down Lupin.

Even though I just saw it a few days ago on opening night, I already am having trouble remembering it. That should be a telling. It's just a fun little flick. If you like Conan and/or Lupin, see it -- the characters are great, and you'll get some good laughs. If you don't, then there's really little to draw you in.
suprememoonempress

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:57 am Reply with quote
I wish on the future funimation could but package this and the tv special subbed and/or dubbed. It the first special was pretty neat. Funimation has the rights to both of the series,( like how it does to Toriko,Dragonball,and One Piece) so it would be easy
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

More than they were in the TV special, but not like everyone keeps hoping they will. I seriously think the only real encounter is the cold open, which you can mostly see in the trailer.

Geez, what a disappointment. Aren't they pretty good foils? Lupin's a clever schemer, but Conan could unravel it, yet Lupin is also slippery and resourceful, meaning that just figuring out what he's doing doesn't mean Conan's caught him. Didn't the author of Conan create the Lupin rip-off Kaito Kid just this purpose? Go ahead and use the real thing, who has tons more personality!

I know it would be obvious that Conan wouldn't catch Lupin (at least not permanently), but it's not like that isn't true of Zenigata, which Lupin shows usually use.

suprememoonempress wrote:
I wish on the future funimation could but package this and the tv special subbed and/or dubbed. It the first special was pretty neat. Funimation has the rights to both of the series...so it would be easy

Funi gave up on Conan ages ago. Do they still have rights to it? Moreover, would the rights to this movie be separate from the TV series (do they even have the whole TV series or just parts of it)?

Same goes with Lupin. I know they released several of the TV specials and the recent Fujiko TV series, but do they own anything Lupin?

You probably don't need to be told this, but lack of interest in Conan would likely prevent this from getting a North American release.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
@xScar - Thanks for giving a bit of a summary of the movie without really giving spoilers either. If you happen to come back and see this, though you more or less answered it already - the movie is still worth seeing if you are a big fan of both series, and go in with low expectations, yes?

It does stink that they can't seem to get the two shows to gel together perfectly like they almost seem tailor-made to though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
First of all, who was asking for this?

Second, they STILL screwed it up? 17 years without a Lupin III theatrical film and it's the same formulaic garbage from the TV specials?

Oh, TMS. Call me when you do another The Woman Called Fujiko Mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
xScar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
@xScar - Thanks for giving a bit of a summary of the movie without really giving spoilers either. If you happen to come back and see this, though you more or less answered it already - the movie is still worth seeing if you are a big fan of both series, and go in with low expectations, yes?

Yeah, totally. I still enjoyed the movie, but you simply have to take it for what it's worth.

Kotaku did a really nice write up this morning which pretty much express my feelings as well.

I think people need to realize that Japan uses "VS" all the time just to mean it's a cross-over. While we would all actually like to see Lupin and Conan go head-to-head, I doubt we'll be seeing it anytime soon.
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
First of all, who was asking for this?

Second, they STILL screwed it up? 17 years without a Lupin III theatrical film and it's the same formulaic garbage from the TV specials?

Oh, TMS. Call me when you do another The Woman Called Fujiko Mine.
You'd make the same complaint if Lupin did a crossover with Golgo 13, City Hunter, Riding Bean, Gunsmith Cats, Master Keaton, You're Under Arrest, or any other crime/police related anime seeing that you dont like the pairing of two well liked anime characters from Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1