• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Frontier Film Box Adds New Footage, English Subtitles

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
English subtitles?!

Ahh, so tempting. I want it!
It doesn't seem to have the PS3 games that were apart of the old Blu-Ray release, but that's okay.
Comsr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Take that, Harmony Gold! Twisted Evil

Finally, an official Japanese Macross release with English subs. Definitely an option. Very Happy
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote
Wish they had thought to do this earlier with previous Macross releases.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
English subtitles? On a Macross release? END TIMES ARE HERE.

EDIT: Weren't the films, not as good as the show?
rydia251

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

The films are different, with a divergent plot, but I love them since they are more concise. Personally, I will buy this once it is solicited. I love both the show and the films, plus the 1982 original is one of my favorites (have both the Animeigo and ADV releases).
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

For the movies?

In my opinion, generally better.

Better CGI, better pacing, making both love interests not as irritating as in the TV series, etc.

The only thing that I might say was worse is the sequel hook at the end. But then again, that was something that the show didn't have to begin with.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

The JP bluray Macross Plus box was released with English subtitles for the movie and I think the dub for the episodes. This is a pretty cool release though. Of all the macross series, I have only seen these movies and plus, so having this one with subs is awesome. It will make a nice import, if I ever have enough money available.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The Blu-ray Disc version of the box will cost 16,800 yen (about US$168), while the DVD version will cost 14,800 yen (US$148).

Yeah, hahahaha, no. Laughing

Is the set bejeweled?

Last edited by penguintruth on Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
Just for clarification, this Blu ray set will NOT include the original 24 episode TV series, correct?
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:14 am Reply with quote
bored-otaku wrote:
Just for clarification, this Blu ray set will NOT include the original 24 episode TV series, correct?

No, it's a 3-disc set - 2 movies and bonus disc.
Once preorders start, you can reliably knock 2000-3000yen off those prices. The set works out to be considerably cheaper than the original single releases (which didn't have subtitles).

Macross Frontier TV will be rereleased on BD on Dec. 25 for 32,000yen before tax, although preorder discounts can knock it down to 25,000yen or so. the TV box set, however, does not have English subs.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quote
Will the second movie have a new ending, one in which the best girl wins?
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:15 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
The Blu-ray Disc version of the box will cost 16,800 yen (about US$168), while the DVD version will cost 14,800 yen (US$148).

Yeah, hahahaha, no. Laughing

Is the set bejeweled?

Hmm... The vast majority of NA otaku buys 59.99$ barebone releases without complaining, but when Japan generously offers their extensive & high quality releases along w/ english subtitles they won't support it Shocked .

It's like most NA otaku don't like quality releases, and would rather buy 3 barebones for ~180$ rather than one really great release for 150-170$.

I for one am highly supportive of these types of releases, as you many times can sense all the work that was put into the product, unlike many releases we get over here... I have seen most of the Macross Frontier series & have heard good things about these movies, so i'll most likely be getting them Very Happy !
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:17 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Will the second movie have a new ending, one in which the best girl wins?

Ambiguous spoiler for the end of the movie ahead:

spoiler[Yes and no: Altoh definitely makes up his mind about which girl he loves (and he does choose the best one, imho) but... let's just say it's complicated]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:44 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Hmm... The vast majority of NA otaku buys 59.99$ barebone releases without complaining, but when Japan generously offers their extensive & high quality releases along w/ english subtitles they won't support it Shocked .

It's like most NA otaku don't like quality releases, and would rather buy 3 barebones for ~180$ rather than one really great release for 150-170$.

I for one am highly supportive of these types of releases, as you many times can sense all the work that was put into the product, unlike many releases we get over here... I have seen most of the Macross Frontier series & have heard good things about these movies, so i'll most likely be getting them Very Happy !

What kind of extras are going to make buying two movies worth over a hundred dollars? A good box? Some artwork? Promotional material like commercials and trailers? What the eff would I need commercials for? I'm watching the movies themselves already! An interview I can get off the internet? Some crappy poster? Do those really hike the value up to over 100 bucks?

The video quality is going to be the same on the discs as in any bare bones release, right? The video, the actual movies, are the thing, right? If I watch a Macross movie on a bare bones release, it's the same movie as the one in the super deluxe version, right?

Unless the box is encrusted with diamonds and rubies and full of steak and cupcakes, I'm not forking over a hundy for two movies. They're movies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

What kind of extras are going to make buying two movies worth over a hundred dollars? A good box? Some artwork? Promotional material like commercials and trailers? What the eff would I need commercials for? I'm watching the movies themselves already! An interview I can get off the internet? Some crappy poster? Do those really hike the value up to over 100 bucks?

The video quality is going to be the same on the discs as in any bare bones release, right? The video, the actual movies, are the thing, right? If I watch a Macross movie on a bare bones release, it's the same movie as the one in the super deluxe version, right?

Unless the box is encrusted with diamonds and rubies and full of steak and cupcakes, I'm not forking over a hundy for two movies. They're movies.

While I agree with all of your arguments, a couple things.

We in North America are really REALLY spoiled with our media pricing. There are a lot of media buyers in North America, publishers make a ton of money on volume sales. Not so much in a country like Japan, which is about the size of a single STATE. They have to make their profits on individual sales. Their culture is much more used to paying a premium.

Their also really into the whole 'collectors edition' crap. Frankly I can do without it. Like you say, it should be about the MOVIES. But that's not where the profits lie in Japan. In Japan its all about the junk that comes with the movies.

This is not a North American release, so you can't expect a North American price point. That's just the way it is. So if you want to watch the movies, you gotta pay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5