• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Haganai Film Director: Never Saw Anime, Did Not Show it to Cast Members

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
I can see his reasoning. This seems like a good way to avoid being overly faithful to the source material, as a number of adaptations are.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Man, this movie keeps on sounding worse and worse.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
"You will make this adaptation your own or you will not eat!"
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
the only problem I have with this is that the new character makes the plot predictable for someone who is used to school dramas.
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
Well, the anime isn't the original material, so I don't see a problem with ignoring it to make your own adaptation.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
the only problem I have with this is that the new character makes the plot predictable for someone who is used to school dramas.

Ninja'd.
I'm a J-drama fan and the new character is the staple of a very common antagonist type in some of the most well-known series that take place in high school. I'm sure this movie is meant to please this crowd, but still. It just makes me think about what other possible changes they'll make for the sake of the J-drama fans. I don't see the general novel's plot actually working in a J-drama...
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
New character wouldn't have a hope of shutting down the club, he'd have to go up against Sena and we all know how that would turn out. Plus he can't exist in the first place since there is already a student council president.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
While I don't fault his not watching the anime per se, this movie is still looking to be pretty bland. The fact that the majority of the cast doesn't seem to fit the characters doesn't help. Funny that this new character is actually played by a half-Japanese half-British actor while Kodaka looks like a Japanese person with blue contacts.
Akuma-Soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't sound like a good idea. I've had problems with this movie from the start, but now it sounds like it's going be horrible. The phoenix wright movie followed the first game almost exactly and was great, so the idea that not watching the anime will help seems wrong to me. But I may be wrong, so long as he gets the characters attitudes right, I won't complain. Sena better be perfect or I'll flip...
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
This is BS. How can you have an antagonist that will try to shut the club down, when it is IMPOSSIBLE to shut that particular club down?
Unless they will make more BS up and have him be a part of an even more powerful family then Sena's, it's bullshit.

Not to mention there already IS a student council president in the light novel and anime, and she is freaking awesome.

This director doesn't know shit.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
This is BS. How can you have an antagonist that will try to shut the club down, when it is IMPOSSIBLE to shut that particular club down?
Unless they will make more BS up and have him be a part of an even more powerful family then Sena's, it's bullshit.

Not to mention there already IS a student council president in the light novel and anime, and she is freaking awesome.

This director doesn't know shit.

Which is obvious since he didn't watch the anime. This news pretty much just solidifies that this is going to be complete garbage.
Akuma-Soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
[quote="RyanSaotome"][quote="DmonHiro"]This is BS. How can you have an antagonist that will try to shut the club down, when it is IMPOSSIBLE to shut that particular club down?

This director doesn't know shit.[/quote]

Which is obvious since he didn't watch the anime. This news pretty much just solidifies that this is going to be complete garbage.[/quote]

Here, here! I whole heartily agree!
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
At first I blindly RAGED, but then I thought about it.

No, this makes perfect sense. The anime is an adaptation of the light novels, and this movie's going to use those as a source as well. It should be based on the original works, not on an adaptation. Similarly I think it's best that the anime and manga didn't really borrow so much from each other. I'd like to see how this differs from the manga and the anime.

I think people knee-jerk reacting to this have forgotten that the anime's not the source material. The light novels are. It'd be a crime if he said "we didn't read the light novels!"

So far I don't have too much reason to rage...yet. I guess people are upset the cast isn't amazingly beautiful but I don't really care about that.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I have had some time to lower my anger level about this project, but the Live Action movie still feels significantly pointless and is just riding off the popularity of the source material to get butts in seats.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
This is nothing new. Hollywood does this all the time. Even when they watch , or read something first they just chuck it away and do their own thing because:
1] they know best and,
2] they can.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2