• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: America, Get Ready for Cat Cafes

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I hope this doesn't take off too much. A lot of the animals in "Cafes" in Japan end up back in shelters when the businesses eventually fail, and many end up dead.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I hope this doesn't take off too much. A lot of the animals in "Cafes" in Japan end up back in shelters when the businesses eventually fail, and many end up dead.

That doesn't seem to be the case for the Cat cafes there at all.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that, until the picture loaded and I read the whole article, at first thought it was a cat-ear maid cafe or something? I had no idea this kind of cafe was a thing in Japan even.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Personally I would be happy visiting a Cat Café so long as it had visible and robust Animal Welfare policy like the one the upcoming London, U.K. Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium has outlined:

http://ladydinahs.com/animal-welfare/

Preferably with an independent body they need to report to and who can keep checks and measures on them, like the Pet Industry Federation mentioned in the link above.

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Am I the only one that, until the picture loaded and I read the whole article, at first thought it was a cat-ear maid cafe or something? I had no idea this kind of cafe was a thing in Japan even.

Not just Japan, but also France, and soon over here in Britain too.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

And you have proof of this, yes? It's not just something that someone told you and they'd never make something up, right?

I hope we see more of them. I'd love to have a cat cafe near me, since my job doesn't allow for me to be able to own a pet.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
This can not be up to kitchen code.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I hear there's a Chinese take-out right next to it. j/k
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
This can not be up to kitchen code.

I don't know about the Japanese cat cafés but if the set-up is similar to the outline below it should be pretty hygienic:

http://ladydinahs.com/the-cafe/

Quote:
The main entrance takes you into our entry foyer. In this area, refreshments are prepared, far from where our charming feline friends play and sleep. Being an East London business, you can expect to find a range of eclectic and inventive merchandise from local artists, photographers and designers, as well as a little bit of seating for guests who are waiting to visit the Cat Emporium Cat lounge area.

If you’d like to spend time with the cats (of course you do!) and enjoy the solicitous and caring table service of our wait staff and cat carers, you’ll need to walk through the entry and into what we call the hygiene room. In this room, you’ll be greeted by the chief cat carer for the day and will need to wash your hands with warm soapy water before entering the cat room. There will be lockers to store your belongings and you may cloak your coat if you wish.

Our Cat Carer will explain some of the house rules. The house rules are established to ensure you have a safe and thoroughly enjoyable visit, so please keep your ears pricked up throughout. You will be asked to pay the cover charge or hand in your voucher before proceeding into the cat area, or you may opt to have it added to your bill at the end of your visit.

Once in the cat area, you will be able to choose any available seat in the ground floor dining area or basement lounge and make yourself comfortable. Our wait staff will come by to offer you full table service for refreshments. You’re welcome to move about as you like to meet the cats and play with them and we do encourage you to use the lockers provided to ensure that your belongings are locked away safely while you are focused on your new feline BFFs

...sorry if I come across as obsessed with Lady Dinah's it is just they are the only one I know much about.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
I hear there's a Chinese take-out right next to it. j/k
That's not a joke here mate. Wink
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like fun, and with the added benefit of getting stray cats adopted, it would be a business I'd support.

Might be a dumb question, but how do they decide what cats are suitable to go into a café environment and which ones aren't? I imagine that you just can't take any feral cat you find and throw it into that kind of setting.
Splash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Some comments here are from people who obviously haven't read up on the source links... they're using shelter cats, collaborating with rescue centers in the first place and all the cats are up for adoption. And California has really strict sanitary requirements when it comes to mixing animals with food.

Anyway, I've contributed to the IndieGoGo and can't wait to check out the cafes in the future since I live in the Oakland/SF area! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh hell yeah!

In the SF Bay area too!

I went to a Cat Cafe while in Japan and I loved it.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

Is it wrong that my first thought was Shampoo's noodle restaurant? Embarassed
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I dont know why anyone wants to eat food where there a lot of cats around
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Café implies they'll just serve drinks not food. I know I would never eat in a restaurant that allows an animal to sit on the same table I'm eating from after it's just done it's business in a cat box before jumping up. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3