• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Love Stage!! Boys-Love Anime's 1st Promo Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
I'm not gonna be watching this since it's BL but I must say it looks colorful and the PV made me laugh. Hopefully this sells well and more BL anime is made. Laughing
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:08 am Reply with quote
^
I'll raise you one eyebrow to that statement then go on cause I can't say much since I don't watch reverse harems because they are reverse harems.

This looks like I thought it would with the weird glowy and sparkly effect that kinda plagued Junjo and Seikaiichi albeit from a different studio, but I seriously enjoyed hearing Nagisa's voice actor. It would be awesome if Free!'s second season airs this summer too so I'd have him in both!
Also, I don't like how they did the mouths. They look odd
Sobe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:10 am Reply with quote
;D Looking forward to this even more now, lol.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:30 am Reply with quote
*Sees Rei's hair color*

Excuse me while I go cry in some remote corner for the rest of my life
kill-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:50 am Reply with quote
oh my gawd , the art! Surprised

if only Princess Princess was animated like this Anime cry
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
sakuragtin wrote:
^
I'll raise you one eyebrow to that statement then go on cause I can't say much since I don't watch reverse harems because they are reverse harems.

This looks like I thought it would with the weird glowy and sparkly effect that kinda plagued Junjo and Seikaiichi albeit from a different studio, but I seriously enjoyed hearing Nagisa's voice actor. It would be awesome if Free!'s second season airs this summer too so I'd have him in both!
Also, I don't like how they did the mouths. They look odd

Oh, I have nothing against BL. I don't like BL but, I'd be happier if there were more BL anime for BL fans since they need good anime too.

Btw, I only watch reverse harems because they're the closest I can get to a shoujo romance anime.

P.S I also think the mouths look weird.
saorren

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:03 am Reply with quote
I can understand the article introducing yonaga as.nagisa in free! But why introduce eguchi as mao in hamatora instead of, say, main in ore ga iru (hachiman) or main in ixion saga dt (what's his name again) or koganei in kurobas? I personally watch hamatora but I would think there are probably more people who know abt kurobas/ore ga Iru/ dt instead of hamatora...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:17 am Reply with quote
I think many of us have always wondered about ANN's criteria to decide which works to use as references when mentioning any artist or creator in the media. I watched most of Hamatora and didn't even know there was a character called Mao. I think someone even asked about it before but I don't think we ever got an answer? Wonder if Answerman would answer those kind of questions
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:36 am Reply with quote
I have some comments about the seme's design. The thick dark lines and sharp angles give me the impression he's meant to look more masculine, but the softer textures on the hair, and the extra definition to his features (the fuller lips, the glossier eyes, the blush on his cheeks) give me the impression he's meant to look more feminine. Add to that the unbalanced proportions of his features, and he looks more like an exaggeration of a bishonen character than a legitimately handsome fellow.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I think many of us have always wondered about ANN's criteria to decide which works to use as references when mentioning any artist or creator in the media.... I think someone even asked about it before but I don't think we ever got an answer? Wonder if Answerman would answer those kind of questions

For voice actors, we use the criteria of what anime or role we think people would be most familiar with. Usually this means older roles where the show has been released Stateside physically, or we go for roles in anime we know are generally very popular. We'll also usually add the person's most recent role, since more recent roles tend to stick better in someone's mind, even if it isn't a main role.

For manga artists, we focus on manga that have been released stateside or have inspired anime.

For staff, it's very similar to voice actors. We pick very popular works and works released stateside, and usually the most recent work as well.

I hope this answers your question.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
I actually am kind of liking it so far! The PV hypes me up a bit, and I actually like all the designs and all that. Plus it looks like alot better quality than most BL works.

I'll be watching.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:27 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I think many of us have always wondered about ANN's criteria to decide which works to use as references when mentioning any artist or creator in the media. I watched most of Hamatora and didn't even know there was a character called Mao. I think someone even asked about it before but I don't think we ever got an answer? Wonder if Answerman would answer those kind of questions

As a person who writes articles on ANN...
I usually try to use one anime that's an older title that is known by a US audience (whether online or with legal releases) and one anime title that is recent. So for example, I might use "Nana Mizuki (Elemental Gelade, Senki Zesshō Symphogear G)". Of course, since these parts of the article might be written swiftly, significant titles might be written off the top of my head.

Hope this answers some questions! We're not trying to be a mysterious organization. Wink
streexanime

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
Hoping this brings them back into the Spotlight more. I love Eiki Eiki and Taishi Zaou's works! Maybe this means Renai DNA might get something?
niastyle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
I love the Love Stage manga, and am even more hyped for the anime now! Anime hyper
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
@zeo1fan

All of Eiki Eiki and Taishi Zaou's characters look very pretty and tend to be gender ambiguous, so it's no surprise you are unsure what to make of him. I don't particularly care for the designs myself. The two have gotten worse after writing their Princess Princess series but some people really like the ambiguous look so that's okay. In Princess Princess+ they even stated that they were ignoring the rules they had set for themselves for the original Princess Princess for what boys could cross dress in because of their body differences with girls. I don't think they applied that here though.

@phoenixalia

No worries. I'm not trying to question you or anything. As I said I understand since I don't like reverse harems.

I've also decided that I think their mouths look like fish or maybe a cat. They still just look odd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2