• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, March 17-23

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stall_19

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:24 am Reply with quote
I have no idea what people saw in Chunibyo for it to sell even that much. Season 2 was horrible. Worst thing I watched during the season.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:57 am Reply with quote
Stall_19 wrote:
I have no idea what people saw in Chunibyo for it to sell even that much. Season 2 was horrible. Worst thing I watched during the season.

Pretty sure there's a hard minimum number of discs that otaku will buy from Kyoto Animation and Shaft judging by recent seasons and the efforts they've put out only to still have among if not the best selling shows consistently. They just seem to be the designate favorite otaku anime buyers studios right now. It really makes me wonder if the buyers in Japan even care in the slightest about the overall product they are getting though or just have extremely strong brand loyalties to these two studios, particularly Kyoani. I just have no explanation otherwise for how something like that or Nisekoi could be solid sellers even in a season as bad as the one they came out in the shows just feel so cynically pandering and uninspired.

I guess I'll just never understand Japan's fixation on banal paint by numbers romantic comedy shows.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama you have some really fascinating theories there,expect that they are all extremely incorrect.For one you are completely neglecting drop in sales between two seasons of Chunibyo and the ticket event for Nisekoi.You are also forgetting the fact that both studios had much lower sales for their other series,so yes we can definitely conclude that otakus do care the end product and that you are making shit up.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:26 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama you have some really fascinating theories there,expect that they are all extremely incorrect.For one you are completely neglecting drop in sales between two seasons of Chunibyo and the ticket event for Nisekoi.You are also forgetting the fact that both studios had much lower sales for their other series,so yes we can definitely conclude that otakus do care the end product and that you are making shit up.

I'm not saying those are by any means number to celebrate unless your one of the many fanboys for those studios and god knows there's enough of them these days, but it definitely seems like in any given season whatever they put out no matter how well received in online communities will have a very good chance of being the #1 and 2 best selling series of that season on a per volume average. They just seem to have a really strong following that way. Doesn't mean they're shows are always guaranteed hit status (Chuunibyou pretty much lost that distinction with this season) but that the bottom line which their shows can achieve sales wise just seems higher than every other studio that delves primarily in TV anime.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:40 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
so yes we can definitely conclude that otakus do care the end product and that you are making shit up.

Yes and no. Regardless of whether they like it or not, a lot of the hardcore collectors will seriously buy every Blu-ray of season two of a show for no other reason than they already own season one on Blu-ray.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
BD Sakura Trick 1 2,238
DVD Sakura Trick 1 317

Mad

Geez, what the hell does it take to get more otaku to buy more yuri? Was there at least an increase of the manga sales?
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:07 am Reply with quote
Why is ANN being so slow the BD rankings? I can't really understand why anybody would ANN for sales info if they are this slow.

Stall_19 wrote:

It had a huge drop from S1, why are you even complaining? It by no means sold a lot.

GeminiDS85 wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
so yes we can definitely conclude that otakus do care the end product and that you are making shit up.

Yes and no. Regardless of whether they like it or not, a lot of the hardcore collectors will seriously buy every Blu-ray of season two of a show for no other reason than they already own season one on Blu-ray.

But they won't buy a show just because its from a certain studio. Which a certain ignorant person seems to be belief. I would love to go further on my rant about that person and the misinformation he loves to spread, but that would just get me banned.

Last edited by Rederoin on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote
Wow.......this season isn't exactly booming. That's to be expected i guess because this season seemed pretty weak overall with it's content.

Sad to see Sakura Trick so low. Just a question but have yuri centric shows ever been that popular? That might explain why we don't see much of it anymore (though has apparently been the year of yuir so far).
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
@leatherhead333: No.
darkchibi07 wrote:
Quote:
BD Sakura Trick 1 2,238
DVD Sakura Trick 1 317

Mad

Geez, what the hell does it take to get more otaku to buy more yuri? Was there at least an increase of the manga sales?
Hopefully they at least planned for a poor showing, given the history of yuri anime. Given that Pony Canyon's listed as one of the main contributors to the production committee, disc sales meeting their target is definitely important(though Sakura Trick could possibly make it up through CD sales).
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
@rederoin

While I’ve never personally asked one of my otaku friends if they would buy a show based only on the animation studio, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if a portion of the fans actually practiced this kind of behavior. For example, I have a few friends who buy tons of AKB48 merchandise and openly admit they hate the music. The explanation they usually give me is: “supporting the group is more important than anything else; you don’t have to like the music to support the group.”

I have a friend who I went to school with in Sapporo and recently he picked up a part-time job in addition to his real job just so he can purchase every single piece of Idolm@ster merchandise that comes out.

I will make it a point to ask this exact question next time I meet up with my otaku buddy that lives in Tokyo because I am generally curious myself. That being said, you seem to believe that this doesn’t happen. May I ask how you came to this conclusion? Do you have any Japanese blogs I can read to verify your position? Have you lived in Japan recently?
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
@rederoin

While I’ve never personally asked one of my otaku friends if they would buy a show based only on the animation studio, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if a portion of the fans actually practiced this kind of behavior. For example, I have a few friends who buy tons of AKB48 merchandise and openly admit they hate the music. The explanation they usually give me is: “supporting the group is more important than anything else; you don’t have to like the music to support the group.”

I have a friend who I went to school with in Sapporo and recently he picked up a part-time job in addition to his real job just so he can purchase every single piece of Idolm@ster merchandise that comes out.

I will make it a point to ask this exact question next time I meet up with my otaku buddy that lives in Tokyo because I am generally curious myself. That being said, you seem to believe that this doesn’t happen. May I ask how you came to this conclusion? Do you have any Japanese blogs I can read to verify your position? Have you lived in Japan recently?

Because you won't support the studio, unless they are ontop of the production committee.

I simply don't think thats the case by what i've heard from people who are way more knowledgeable about sales than me.(The guy who runs someanithing.net and Symbv from MAL).
Ontop of that, we are talking about spending 350$ on a show just because you like the studio. Only the rich or the crazy do that sort of stuff.
While I do think it happens, we have no proof it happens in any noticable numbers. Which is why I'm extremely annoyed by the guy who spreads that mis-information in every sales forum he posts in. If he had any proof to back up his claims, it'd be a different story. But he doesn't.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
I'm personally glad to see that Chunibyo is still selling pretty well. While its true that the second season couldn't compare to the first, I syill enjoyed it, and I find myself bring very attached to the characters. Plus with the introduction of a third novel in the series, a third season could definitely happen if the sales are there, so I hope it does well for them!
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
GeminiDS85 wrote:
@rederoin

Because you won't support the studio, unless they are ontop of the production committee.

I simply don't think thats the case by what i've heard from people who are way more knowledgeable about sales than me.(The guy who runs someanithing.net and Symbv from MAL).
Ontop of that, we are talking about spending 350$ on a show just because you like the studio. Only the rich or the crazy do that sort of stuff.
While I do think it happens, we have no proof it happens in any noticable numbers. Which is why I'm extremely annoyed by the guy who spreads that mis-information in every sales forum he posts in. If he had any proof to back up his claims, it'd be a different story. But he doesn't.

I've bought games for mostly the voice cast, no joke.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

If we had games in which Wakamoto voiced every single character, i'd buy it.

But I'm assuming its because you like too listen to these voice actors act?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

If we had games in which Wakamoto voiced every single character, i'd buy it.

But I'm assuming its because you like too listen to these voice actors act?

Yes especially in RPGs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2