• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [Part 3]: Stardust Crusaders (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote

This Season:

Season 2 (1st half): JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [Part 3]: Stardust Crusaders (TV)
Season 2 (2nd half): JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [Part 3]: Startdust Crusaders (TV)

Other Seasons:

Season 1: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [Parts 1 + 2:] [Phantom Blood + Battle Tendency] (TV) (discussed here)
Season 3: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [Part 4]: Diamond Is Unbreakable (TV)] (discussed here)
Season 4: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [Part 5]: Golden Wind (TV) discussed here)
Season 5: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [Part 6]: Stone Ocean (TV) (discussed here)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 131 volumes, by Hirohiko Araki)

Demographic: Shounen, Seinen

Animation Studio: David Production

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, mystery, psychological, supernatural, thriller

Themes: betrayal, superhumans, superpowers, tragedy, ultraviolence, vampires

Plot Summary: The year is 1987 and 17-year-old Jotaro Kujo finds himself suddenly plagued by a ghost-like entity. Jotaro’s grandfather Joseph Joestar, a veteran of a fight to save humanity fifty years prior, arrives with his own supernatural aura and explains that this power, known as a “Stand,” physically manifests its user’s spirit and can be controlled by its user at will.

The sudden emergence of these Stands is revealed to be caused by the revival of the megalomaniacal vampire Dio (the Joestar’s longtime enemy) whose awakening from his century-long slumber has triggered Stands to awaken down the Joestar family line, including in Jotaro’s mother whose uncontrollable Stand will ultimately kill her in a few weeks’ time.

Jotaro, Joseph, and their allies have fifty days to locate Dio (using their Stands to thwart Dio’s network of devoted Stand-user minions along the way) and eliminate Dio himself in order to save Jotaro’s mother and prevent Dio’s ambitions of world domination.

Air Date & Platform:
1st half: April 4, 2014 (Friday)
Available on: Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Hoopla, Netflix, Pluto, Tubi

2nd half: January 9, 2015 (Friday)
Available on: Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Hoopla, Netflix, Pluto, Tubi

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 1 [Parts 1 + 2] [Phantom Blood + Battle Tendency]: 26 episodes
Season 2 (1st half) [Part 3] [Stardust Crusaders]: 24 episodes
Season 2 (2nd half) [Part 3] [Stardust Crusaders]: 24 episodes
Season 3 [Part 4] [Diamond is Unbreakable]: 39 episodes
Season 4 [Part 5] [Golden Wind]: 39 episodes
Season 5 [Part 6] [Stone Ocean]: 38 episodes

Total: 190 episodes
----------------------------------

Episode 1: That was glorious.

Jotarooooooooo. I'm hoping we see a lot of Stand Users in this season, depending on adaptation. I wonder how many episodes this will have. I'm guessing two cour which would mean some rush. Still, the first episode imo was glorious.

spoiler[Holly spotted earlier in the episode. Then again, there's Jotarooooooooo. Joseph is awesome too and I remember his confrontation like from the manga. Abdul comes out as well, awesome. I like his Stand known as the 'Magician's Red'.] Good episode to start off this series imo. I'm really looking forward to the rest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
JoJo~!!!!!!!!!!!

The series airs at the same time as a radio show I listen to and I don't have a TV in my new room (because there's no TV antenna plug in here) and I was so torn as to what to do.

Ended up watching JoJo in real time though and ahhhhhhhh~~ He's so coooooooool!!! Dio is such a creepy villain. Anime hyper
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Watching this with a view to getting the manga maybe, so far so good.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I was yooge - YOOGE - fan of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (the one that came out recently - I haven't seen the older OVA series yet). So, needless to say, I was pumped - PUMPED - for this debut. So I'm disappointed to be a bit underwhelmed. Very unfair to be making judgments after only one episode, but so far there is a certain spirit from the previous series that seems lacking here. I'm not sure I'm going to be crazy about this "Stand" business. One of the pleasures of the first series was the wild battles that characters got into - I don't know if having proxies is going to be as enjoyable.

Anyway, it's very early days, obviously, so I hope my fears that this title won't be as enjoyable as the first are unfounded.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:57 am Reply with quote
Seen the previous series.
Decided to give this a try as well.
Animation seems nicer in this series.
The muscles sure were shown in great detail.
Jotaro is one weird mannered guy.
I like him <3
We can expect a whole bunch of action this season!
Guess I'm gonna get hooked again ^^
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I love that they didn't correct the plothole of DIO's coffin, that had to be deliberate. Also, it's good to have Takehito Koyasu back, he's just perfect as DIO.

Final scene with some added Roundabout. Hope the new ED (and OP) will be as good.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
but so far there is a certain spirit from the previous series that seems lacking here. I'm not sure I'm going to be crazy about this "Stand" business. One of the pleasures of the first series was the wild battles that characters got into - I don't know if having proxies is going to be as enjoyable.

It'll still have the ultra camp and suspense battles. Like the previous one, it's still about analyzing abilities' possible uses and exploitable flaws. It also features some really wacky powers and very inventive ways to overcome them.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda in the same boat as Blood-. I've been pretty well aware of the fact that Stands will be used from this point onward. I also know that the core fan base and most of its popularity came from this era too. I'm honestly afraid that I will not be able to call myself a JoJo fan if I find this "new" direction less impressive than part 2 was. I'm afraid that if I don't like what I see here, I won't like what Part 4, 5, 6, etc. will offer either. That said, one episode is one episode. The look and feel of it is still very much like how it was before, and I still love the dramatic dialogue and quirks it has. I will most definitely follow this part to the end regardless of how I feel about it compared to its predecessor.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
Just watched the second episode. Looks like Joutarou got the hang of using Star Platinum fairly quickly. ^^; It was cute near the end with his mom. X3
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Yet another fabulous episode. More stands revealed but I still like Jojo's the best that's shown so far. I see spoiler[Dio a lot in the backgrounds this episode. Oh and nice, we get an OP song! Cool. There's no spoilers in it either so that's good.]

And damn, spoiler[Jojo is popular as hell at school.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Jojo sure was popular with the spoiler[girls.]
Guess they all cling to bad boy type with pretty face ^^
Oh, how fast new enemies appear.
spoiler[Dio did his explanation thing.]
It was useful to hear all that.
spoiler[Noriaki was an interesting opponent.]
Jojo's stand is totally cool. I like him ^^
Great episode!
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 2:

Yet another fabulous episode. More stands revealed but I still like Jojo's the best that's shown so far. I see spoiler[Dio a lot in the backgrounds this episode. Oh and nice, we get an OP song! Cool. There's no spoilers in it either so that's good.]

Oh, there are spoilers if you know where to look (such as spoiler[the sixth shooting star]), but if you aren't familiar with the manga they propably won't mean much to to you. I agree it's not nearly as bad as the previous OPs which revealed way too much.

Hope that ED is still just a placeholder...
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:29 am Reply with quote
*shrugs* I prefer the 90s version. Just more to the point. But I guess if you want to see the manga filler animated, then this show might be better in your eyes.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
The visuals in the opening were fantastic,and the song wasn't bad either.I really have nothing to complain about ,the visuals improved,music is awesome and so is voice acting.The scenes with Avdol and Joseph were great,little things like that are what makes Jojo so special.Seeing the pace this show is going at,I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted for 50 episodes.
GATSU wrote:
*shrugs* I prefer the 90s version. Just more to the point. But I guess if you want to see the manga filler animated, then this show might be better in your eyes.

That version had nothing going for it.It was my first JoJo experience and I remember being largely bored by it.And I can see why now.It was so dry,no weirdness ,no humor,no irony,characters personalities were reduced,it was just a big bag of nothing.It took itself way too seriously and it never realized what makes Jojo
popular.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 2:

Oh, there are spoilers if you know where to look (such as spoiler[the sixth shooting star]), but if you aren't familiar with the manga they propably won't mean much to to you. I agree it's not nearly as bad as the previous OPs which revealed way too much.

Hope that ED is still just a placeholder...

The show twitter said the actual ED will debut next week.

Dio or Black Sabbath please.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10