• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Doonys - Elaborate hoax or obscure anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:25 am Reply with quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doonys

I'm pretty sure this is a hoax. But just to make sure, has anybody ever heard of this? Apparently it was supposed to be popular... But I have never heard of it and I've gone through quite a bit of anime in the encyclopedia. Dormcat hasn't either, and he's gone through much more than me. It just looks too fishy to me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Doonys

We've been discussing its very existence in the comments. The character designs look very similar to Monkey Punch's (and they also look fake), but apparently he didn't work on it. It apparently has a website too, but is down at the moment. Just keeps looking weirder the more you get into it...

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Tue May 15, 2007 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Asako

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:34 am Reply with quote
Weird, it doesn't have any real references for anything on that entry.... I don't see it on another site that posts anime releases in Japan either...

Edit: but there seems to be a lot of fan information about it. They look like characters that are of the "furry" type. I'm suspecting that Dooneys is not anywhere near the Japanese title O.o
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:45 am Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
Edit: but there seems to be a lot of fan information about it. They look like characters that are of the "furry" type. I'm suspecting that Dooneys is not anywhere near the Japanese title O.o

Uh, ya there is a lot looking it up on google... Which makes this even more mind boggling as it makes it seem like it does exist. Or it could just be a very elaborate hoax that has spread. I really don't know at this point...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:48 am Reply with quote
Elder Deitra, the user who answered my ten questions, also created a new entry for a seiyuu named Ayumi Nakamura. I've looked at all seiyuu databases I have and found no such person, and based on the date of birth I'm sure she's not 中村あゆみ or 中村亜裕美.

If it has ever been aired in Japan, the title should have a katakana counterpart, but it can't be found. Names of its Japanese casts and staffs, provided by Elder Deitra and others, has no kanji counterpart and are all very generic (so one can't reverse romaji back to kanji). Even the Wikipeidia entry of its original creator, Deborah Taylor, was created by the same Wiki user (Rocket-Purse).

And that Zapher Tivien picture looks like photoshopped to me. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:01 am Reply with quote
Okay, I have found somthing that has made this even weirder now...

http://forums.ffshrine.org/showthread.php?t=8885

Post dating back from Feb. 2003 mentioning Doonys. If this is a hoax, it is one that has been around for years, which is a bit hard to believe. Maybe this isn't a hoax. God, I don't know. Anime dazed
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:10 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Okay, I have found somthing that has made this even weirder now...

http://forums.ffshrine.org/showthread.php?t=8885

Post dating back from Feb. 2003 mentioning Doonys. If this is a hoax, it is one that has been around for years, which is a bit hard to believe. Maybe this isn't a hoax. God, I don't know. Anime dazed

Hmm. If you look at the public profile of the user "Axel Alloy", who made that post, you will see that he/she lists homepage as http://www.rachelsdesignstudio.com. This is suspiciously similar to "RDS", the company that supposedly is responsible for producing "Doonys".

My guess is that "Doonys" is one person's flight-of-fancy, a gee-whiz-I-wish-I-could-make-my-own-anime, and has since evolved into this (probable) hoax.

Update: Yep, I'm pretty sure that it's a hoax. Have a look at the Wayback Machine's archive of that site: Version of Oct. 29, 2003.

That site is clearly the site of the "RDS" associated with the supposed anime, and equally clearly, it is far too amateuristic to be anything but a make-believe.

I'm willing to bet that "Axel Alloy" = Rachel-the-wannabe-anime-maker-from-2003 = the hoaxster on Wikipedia.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:27 am Reply with quote
Is there anyone familiar with the process who would like to propose deletion of the Doonys entry and it's three related entries Doonys characters, Deborah Taylor, and Ayumi Nakamura?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote
If you follow the link near the bottom of the page to Doony's Characters you see two characters that look suspiciously like Fujiko Miine and Lupin III, the first being Axel Alloy herself.
It's gotta be a hoax that went awry.
undeadben

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:34 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
I'm willing to bet that "Axel Alloy" = Rachel-the-wannabe-anime-maker-from-2003 = the hoaxster on Wikipedia.

This is probably closest to the truth, although they may be two separate people.

My search using the keywords "Doonys" and "anime" only, brought me a far range of pages to fan art sites mostly linking to art by Axel Alloy, and this odd forum entry at toonzone.net. So it looks as if Axel Olivia Alloy who also goes by Deborah Taylor, is either Rachel using a second identity under one of the title characters name, as a second to herself in a number of roles for the fictitious anime company of RDS, and in order to spread the name around, or is in fact a second to "Rachel" who just happens to be more vocal on the net.

Here's Axel Alloy/Deborah Taylor's Deviant art page which is kept up to date. She still claims to be an anime artist in the UK but no more mentions of Doonys.

**Yeah, I know y'all had already boffed the myth, but I liked the detective feel this thread had going for it so I wanted to get into the digging and deducing too. Razz

**Edited link, put up the link to the wrong fan art site.

Last edited by undeadben on Tue May 15, 2007 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
angel_lover

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I've thoroughly stripped the Wikipedia article, let's see how long before Ms Taylor reverts it Razz

(Wikipedophile, moi?)
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, looks like Doonys turned out to be nothing more than someone taking their own fanfic a bit too far. That's what I thought at first. Although that old post did throw me off a bit...

Also, another anime created by the fake RDS, Mafia 3000. Ugh.

Edit: Proposed Deletion is now in place. Thanks a lot to dormcat for doing that.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Wed May 16, 2007 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Editing the content of the pages really isn't the way to get Wikpedia's attention. Following standard procedures such as the proposed deletion that I mentioned will likely do much more to get these entries removed.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
It's an oxymoron to talk about "Wikipedia" and "standard procedures". That's like trying to discuss the rules and regulations of anarchy.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Elder Deitra, the user who answered my ten questions, also created a new entry for a seiyuu named Ayumi Nakamura. I've looked at all seiyuu databases I have and found no such person, and based on the date of birth I'm sure she's not 中村あゆみ or 中村亜裕美

That page is by far the most hilarious thing to come out of this hoax.

"Trivia" wrote:
Listens to J-Pop and J-Rock.

NO WAY, REALLY? Shocked

"Trivia" wrote:
Was an orphan at the age of 8.
She is hoping to set up an orphanage.
Had a car accident when she was in her teens leaving her with a scar on her face.

Because no pretend Mary Sue voice actress is complete without a disfiguring scar and dead parents.

"Personal Quotes" wrote:
"Maybe I am what I am, because I made myself this way. But, then perhaps its all just a big conspiracy."

PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
You know, while I'm pretty sure the rest of this is a hoax, looking at Deborah Taylor's Wiki entry, I'm not sure if it's completely false. One of the shows she apparently worked on (Go Go Gadgetinis) actually seems to be real from what I've found on it. Mixing real and "fake" cartoons... pretty sneaky.

Also, in case anybody hasn't noticed, proposed deletions have all been put in place (by dormcat, thanks a lot).

Edit:

Wow, been doing some more looking into this and I found the supposed "creator's" website.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/axelshouse/index.html

A bit scary to look through since she seems to think all of this is real... Reminds me a bit of the Otakukin. I find it funny how under "Links to my fave sites!" is fanfiction.net and fanart-central.net. Rolling Eyes And of course, she says the official website of RDS is down, but abunai already exposed that for what it really was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6