• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Readers Rank the Best Manga To Read To Kids

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
You know I actually do agree with this poll for once...ok maybe it's not the perfect thing to read to kids but given the stuff Japanese children are shown One Piece is definitely a good option, I am intrigued that silver spoon got on the list though...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Good list. I actually purchased the Phoenix books for my niece and nephews years ago for them to read over the summer. That and Et Cetera. While I've never been interested in reading 'One Piece' I've always been curious as to why it's such a popular book. I've spoke to quite a few fans of it that can explain why it's such a good literary work even at the point it is now. That's impressive by far. It isn't easy to keep a work interesting.
Dizzee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
LMAO this is kinda wrong imo, there's a lot of violence and blood in One Piece, Naruto and Dragon Ball, also these shows are PG-13.
bigivel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Dizzee wrote:
LMAO this is kinda wrong imo, there's a lot of violence and blood in One Piece, Naruto and Dragon Ball, also these shows are PG-13.

You horried about those. Barefoot Gen is about the Atomic Bom of Hiroshima and life after the event, and is quite explicit. Why would someone vote that for a story for kids? The only thing that I see is that depicts Japan story.

Here is a part of the anime -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfJZ6nwxD38. Jump to minute 2 to see the explicitness of the event.
Dizzee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Dizzee wrote:

You horried about those. Barefoot Gen is about the Atomic Bom of Hiroshima and life after the event, and is quite explicit. Why would someone vote that for a story for kids? The only thing that I see is that depicts Japan story.

Here is a part of the anime -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfJZ6nwxD38. Jump to minute 2 to see the explicitness of the event.

damn Japan, what are you doing, stahp.

Seriously though, maybe Japanese kids mature few years earlier Laughing.
GVman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Where's Fist of the North Star and Kinnikuman? When I have a little kid, I'm gonna read 'em to him/her every night.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I would have though something like Yotsuba&! Would have made it on, cute and funny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Dizzee wrote:

yeah, I think the same

they're well know, that's a thing (those would be shows that you would mention to persons who want to start watching or know more about anime and stuff)

but for kids? unless they minimun 12-13 I don't think they're really appropiate for people younger than that age
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Dizzee wrote:

Only by North American standards (and it's a long story)...
Xagor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I think the original meaning of the ranking is closer to 'Manga you'd want your kids to read', rather than stuff you'd read to them?
Jave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Dizzee wrote:

Only by America's very strict standards Wink Just because they have blood, sex, and violence don't make them inappropriate for kids. There's a few ways to tell what's a kiddy show in Japan. What timeslot it airs in, if it has a clock in the upper corner, and if it has those "dont sit too close to the TV when watching anime" messages. If it's got one or more of those, it's for children.

I like it when shows incorporate it into the show itself like Fairy Tail which had Natsu pop up at the beginning of the episode and say "Hey kids, when watching Fairy Tail, be sure to do it in a well lit room and don't sit too close!" Laughing Can't get more blatant than that.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Anyone remember this?
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-10-07/maryland-school-library-to-remove-dragon-ball-manga
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-10-22/md-county-removes-dragon-ball-manga-from-all-schools
which probably explains why this crap (nsfw) still goes on

Thing is, One Piece and Dragonball Z ARE aimed at kids and everyone of all ages in Japan.
TG72

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
I would have though something like Yotsuba&! Would have made it on, cute and funny.

That's the first one that came to mind for me. Seems like it ought to be at least in the top 5?

I think Aria would be a good selection, too. It's not only very pleasant but has a lot of wisdom/life lessons...
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Weekly Shounen Jump is considered suitable for elementary students in Japan.

Fist of the North Star was published in Weekly Shounen Jump.

Just cause the USA treats all those under 21 like toddlers doesn't mean other countries do.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
WHY are people so shocked?

Most Shonen manga are read by kids.

Take Weekly Shonen Jump for instance. Its serialized Dragon Ball, Naruto, Bleach, Hunter x Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, YuYu Hakusho, and others. They're all violent, and aimed at kids.

Its also serialized To Love Ru and Medaka Box, which have heavy fan-service.

Kids in Japan read/watch stuff 10 times more mature than kids in NA, IMO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3