• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Personal Space

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
The production issues question was also something I was planning on asking. The hectic schedule and sleeping under desks (also mentioned in Lea Hernandez's interview) seems to be the norm. I appreciate the massive amount of work involved in anime, but I still wonder, could not everything be scheduled waaay in advanced to compensate?

Do you know how it compares to western TV production or animation? I don't know much about Nickelodeon, Fox, et. al, but I get the impression everything is planned and started much earlier. Or do things also get frequently hectic in US studios?

In addition, this constant cramming leads to more mistakes and short cuts that later have to be corrected for home video. That is a further cost in time and money to bear, but many revisions are also consequently the norm.

On the topic of pirating, well I'm not ashamed to admit I'm also a massive pirate, I just buy everything too, in addition to subscribing on CR, which I haven't used much lately... But I also just stream things in the background half a year or a year or so later after airing just to add to stats and allocate my membership fees appropriately.

I buy nearly all the US BDs and the Aniplex releases, but since due to my massive collection, it's just much more effecient to have digital rips and store everything away compactly in boxes. Thus it's also much more convenient to "pirate" the videos I've already bought. Good encodes and OCR'ing retail subs or worse, retiming fansubs to fit, takes a long time.

Last edited by configspace on Fri May 02, 2014 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
It seems to vary with industry culture a lot. I don't think I see the problem with US TV or movies (not that I watch such things anymore), but it does come up in video games. Of course, video games don't have a release "schedule" the way that TV shows do, so it's not as glaring of a problem.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
Given the (greater?) need to work with S&P departments and focus groups in the US, I'd imagine deadlines are much further out than in infomercial-slot anime. The larger budgets probably mean it's also a lot easier to make up time for any delays by farming out the gruntwork to more studios.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
I liked Justin's response to the piracy guilt question. I never would have guessed that he used to be a gigantic pirate.

In my early days of more massive anime consumption (2008) I almost exclusively used fansub websites and YouTube to watch anime. I eventually began buying legal disc releases, but I continued to watch fansubs to explore more anime.

It was until I discovered and subscribed to Crunchyroll in 2012 that I decided to commit to abandoning fansub sites. Almost every anime I stream nowadays are new shows in legal sites. I wish I did not have to do it anymore, but I still need to use fansub sites for old and/or obscure anime that is not legally available for streaming.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I honest to God do not understand these anime-musicals. Why? Just... why?
nhat

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Ehhh just like how there's broadway shows for the Lion King and other shows based off cartoons?
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
It isn't common as much anymore, but I also support (in a non-intrusive manner to the legal properties) fansubs of things that are not wildly available in their original Japanese format. Up until recently, Digimon had no available Japanese dub option in America, at least. Even the re-released season boxes were English-dub-only. Now, we have a few seasons with subs on Netflix and such, and I approve wholeheartedly of that and hope they put up more like that in the future. It's not so much about suggesting that the Japanese is so much better than the English, but that it's so different in terms of things like script and even slight edits and cultural references (and Digimon was the type of children's anime to ACKNOWLEDGE that its characters were Japanese and followed the Japanese names, as well as the original story, to a tee). Because it's different, it offers a completely different experience. And that alternate experience is a great option to have open to fans who are interested. Again, it isn't common that we aren't treated to that for a lot of current stuff already, but it's still a thing for many popular franchises with children.

Other than that, I AM a fansubber, and I'm not necessarily proud or ashamed of it. I still buy the anime and merchandise I can afford (increasingly difficult after graduating, but not impossible), and assuming a fansub has an alternate legal option, I ALWAYS point those I talk to toward the legal option as the best way to experience the show (unless, of course, the legal option actually messes some things up--which has happened, but is not as common as some extreme fansub supporters sometimes believe). Crunchyroll is my go-to suggestion for my friends, and though I don't often use it myself, I still have a subscription. I don't have access to Netflix anymore, though, so that's somewhat upsetting to a point. Either way, I don't claim fansubs are the bane of the industry's existence, but I definitely support using legal options when available. And I most definitely suggest others do the same because, even as a fansubber, I cannot find a truly good excuse to use most current fansubs over most current official streams if your goal is simply to "watch [an] anime." Especially if the show is available on practically every legal alternative in its uncut glory, with perfectly fine subtitles and high quality streaming, and FOR FREE. I will never get those who have other options, yet they still resort to third party streaming sites with low-quality episodes, sometimes with bad or stolen subtitles (and yes, ironically, we have plenty of issues with third-party sites that steal our subs and put them up to the public for ad revenue, and there's really nothing we can do about it--we're "hypocrits" if we ever try to argue to get the videos taken off). :/
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I wonder how long it would take to get through every single anime from the CR library assuming you can watch all the titles without region blocks. That would take awhile I imagine with shows like the Big 3, Cardfight Vanguard, etc. Same with Hulu's library considering they have other content that debuted years ago, even ones from 2000s.

The article relating to the piracy was quite a fun read.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarthaC

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Might as well ask why Spiderman on Broadway! Popular books, TV shows and films have been remade into other forms like fan books, plays, films and TV shows (Sherlock Holms has been done over and over again in any entertainment format you can think of-including Anime-except I think he was a dog?).
WhyThis

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I personally don't have any ethical issue with having fansubs of shows that are not licensed, especially if they're old and unlikely to ever see a legal release. In the off chance I'm wrong, I can always delete those fansubs and buy a copy. I've done that with countless shows. I never thought I'd get a chance to buy Rose of Versailles, for example.

Out of all the things in the piracy response I want to discuss this weird thing...and point out that no? If you have an ethical issue with pirating why just de facto have an issue with how it harms NA industries and not Japanese ones? Buy Japanese Rose of Versailles BDs? Learn Japanese or don't, either way the language isn't more of a hurdle than spending thousands on software, and all the work and sacrifices that entails. I hear the Japanese sales are what really matter in regards to future animation and trends anyway.

I understand that that's just your personal stance but...I think you've been misled. If you criticize people's boyfriends and (jokingly?) call people human trash and hypocrites for pirating, not understanding Japanese is not an excuse when you're still partaking in the wrongdoing.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the piracy question asker about whether she is a hypocrite, I just wanted to say that improving who you are (such as supporting legal anime options instead of illegal ones) doesn't make you a hypocrite. No one should be chastised for becoming a better person. That's nonsense.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
WhyThis wrote:
Quote:
I personally don't have any ethical issue with having fansubs of shows that are not licensed, especially if they're old and unlikely to ever see a legal release. In the off chance I'm wrong, I can always delete those fansubs and buy a copy. I've done that with countless shows. I never thought I'd get a chance to buy Rose of Versailles, for example.

Out of all the things in the piracy response I want to discuss this weird thing...and point out that no? If you have an ethical issue with pirating why just de facto have an issue with how it harms NA industries and not Japanese ones? Buy Japanese Rose of Versailles BDs? Learn Japanese or don't, either way the language isn't more of a hurdle than spending thousands on software, and all the work and sacrifices that entails. I hear the Japanese sales are what really matter in regards to future animation and trends anyway.

I understand that that's just your personal stance but...I think you've been misled. If you criticize people's boyfriends and (jokingly?) call people human trash and hypocrites for pirating, not understanding Japanese is not an excuse when you're still partaking in the wrongdoing.

Think you are alone in your criticism of Justin's opinion of the boyfriend. Sounds to me he nailed the boyfriend quite correctly.

My personal opinion is that language is a big issue. I took 3 years of German and 1 year of Japanese, and the sad thing is, I can only count in either language.

Right or wrong, I am going to watch anime in the format or source that I can understand.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
WhyThis wrote:

What's with the accusatory language like he committed a hate crime?

OH NO, A BOYFRIEND HAS BEEN CRITICIZED! TO THE UNNECESSARY DEFENSEMOBILE

Also at no point does he call anyone human trash so I really have no idea what you're on about here.
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's a sense of peace you get when you actually own and are legally entitled to everything you're getting.

Quote:
Knowing you're doing the right thing. The knowledge that you're doing your part, to the best of your ability, to support the stuff you love.

^^^^^^^ I totally agree
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

OH NO, A BOYFRIEND HAS BEEN CRITICIZED! TO THE UNNECESSARY DEFENSEMOBILE

I'm stealing this and there's nothing you can do to stop me. Nothing!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5