• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, April 28-May 4

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:44 am Reply with quote
Arpeggio's sales are just so consistent, good job!

Can someone lecture me about what makes this show so successful? I mean...I understand "cute girls associated with weaponry " elements (like Kancolle and Girls& Panzer) , but that got to be more than that to have such achievements.

Nonetheless, this and Knights of Sidonia (which has respectable sales projection) prove that a well-done full-CG anime can be profitable.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:09 am Reply with quote
Personally I think part of it is just the fact it's currently riding on the success of Kancolle. I doubt it's luck it's come out at the same time.

I mean I did enjoy the show but it's not like it's anything special really IMO. Sidonia is a different story though.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
Personally I think part of it is just the fact it's currently riding on the success of Kancolle. I doubt it's luck it's come out at the same time.

I mean I did enjoy the show but it's not like it's anything special really IMO. Sidonia is a different story though.

Arpeggio is not related to Kantai Collection. The same is just they have mental models.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:22 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

Can someone lecture me about what makes this show so successful? I mean...I understand "cute girls associated with weaponry " elements (like Kancolle and Girls& Panzer) , but that got to be more than that to have such achievements.

Nonetheless, this and Knights of Sidonia (which has respectable sales projection) prove that a well-done full-CG anime can be profitable.

Well, Arpeggio is not related to Kantai Collection. The same is just they have mental models.
srlracing

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:29 am Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:

Even though it seems like Kantai Collection has been around forever, Arpeggio of Blue Steel's TV anime premiered just over 5 months after Kantai Collection was released. The Arpeggio of Blue Steel TV anime was announced publicly a month after Kantai Collection was released meaning it probably was in production for several months already. Even with the tightest deadlines in anime that is not enough time to cobble a show together. The manga came out in 2010 and appears to move in some pretty respectable numbers So its really more coincidence than luck.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:30 am Reply with quote
While Kancolle might have some influence on it u have to keep in mind Arpeggio was created long before it. Japan as a nation have always had a rich devotion and history with there navy force so there fascination with it is in part of there culture.

Also Arpeggio is one of the first full anime series that was done in complete CGI, there were other before it like black rock shooter but i think for me at least it was the first one to truly execute it perfectly.

Also cute girls + action+ naval combat that is a sure combination of success.

Also the story of the anime may have been altered from the manga series but unlike most other shows that deviate from the manga. the story in this was still well done.

For now i just hope somebody licenses this gem for a western release and hopefully someday in the future more anime adaptation will be made even better if it would be an adaptation of the manga storyline this time.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
Arpeggio of Blue Steel is doing well in DVD & Blu ray sells. At this rate,it is inevitable that we will get season two.
Gambeno

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:20 am Reply with quote
Michael Nathanael T. wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:

Well, Arpeggio is not related to Kantai Collection. The same is just they have mental models.

Actually it has a lot to do with it since Arpeggio is in Kan Colle
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
Gambeno wrote:
Michael Nathanael T. wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:

Actually it has a lot to do with it since Arpeggio is in Kan Colle

Arpeggio and KanColle did have a crossover event in December so that could have something to do with it. Also Arpeggio had a few KanColle end cards. But I don't know his large of an effect it had on its sales.

One things for certain though, when the KanColle anime comes out the sales will be through the roof!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:

One things for certain though, when the KanColle anime comes out the sales will be through the roof!

Well that depends if the people in charge of marketing have a slightly-functional brain that will put in game tie-in bonuses.

If the anime were stand-alone, I doubt it'd sell all that much. Diomedea haven't had a decent seller since the first season of Ika Musume and the staff on board for the anime is not very impressive. However, If each volume came with, say, an exclusive ship of a popular character to be added to the consumer's in-game fleet, then I doubt they could print enough copies.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
While Kancolle might have some influence on it u have to keep in mind Arpeggio was created long before it. Japan as a nation have always had a rich devotion and history with there navy force so there fascination with it is in part of there culture.

Also Arpeggio is one of the first full anime series that was done in complete CGI, there were other before it like black rock shooter but i think for me at least it was the first one to truly execute it perfectly.

Also cute girls + action+ naval combat that is a sure combination of success.

Also the story of the anime may have been altered from the manga series but unlike most other shows that deviate from the manga. the story in this was still well done.

For now i just hope somebody licenses this gem for a western release and hopefully someday in the future more anime adaptation will be made even better if it would be an adaptation of the manga storyline this time.

Agreed, I really enjoyed it. Would definitely be looking forward to more.

Yeah, definitely loved seeing the scifi naval combat setting, other than Blue Sub 6 (which I also really liked) and a couple of others it felt like it's been a while so it was really good to see.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:29 am Reply with quote
So kill la kill v5 did rank on the full list(1k BDs) before its release date. I did know a retailer send out its copies early(it ranked on the oricon daily rankings last week), but its still rather strange to see it like this.

Cyclone1993 wrote:

They said the same thing about Mekaku city actors and Mahouka, and look at them now.

You can never be certain about sales before a season starts, aside from sequels.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
KanColle already has otaku momentum built up and it's easy to see in the frequency of fanart and doujinshi releases. All they have to do is not mess up and they'll have good sales.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
KanColle already has otaku momentum built up and it's easy to see in the frequency of fanart and doujinshi releases. All they have to do is not mess up and they'll have good sales.

Which is also what they said about mekaku city actors. Just because its very likely, does not mean its certain.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
"What they said"

I don't care what some people said, I've witnessed how big KanColle is by the sheer numbers of artists doing fanart for it. Unless the show is just utter shit, it should sell pretty well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2