• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Haruhi Fans Lobby for Restoration of Sacred Site Icon

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see that Haruhi Suzumiya still has a dedicated fanbase.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:

And hopefully it's still strong enough for it to get released again in the West (and hopefully not at an incredibly expensive price either) along with Lucky Star.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Student no.0 wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:

And hopefully it's still strong enough for it to get released again in the West (and hopefully not at an incredibly expensive price either) along with Lucky Star.

If it did hypothetically get another western release, my reason for double-dipping is if they have all the episodes from both seasons in chronological order, so that way I don't have to change discs every couple episodes! Of course, this is just a what-if...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Good to know Haruhi hasn't yet faded from the public consciousness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
chronos02

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Now, that explains why the place looked weird, I went to Japan early this year and visited nearly all of the locations from the anime, seeing as I was lodging nearby.

I must say Haruhi, Kyon and the rest of the brigade had to walk lots in order to go from one place to another in Nishinomiya-shi, the locations are all over the place... and the slope, god, no wonder Kyon complained about it in every episode he had to walk to the school, it's awfully long and steep.

As for the town itself, it feels way smaller than what it really is, though in the anime it feels kinda big, and some places that look far in the anime, such as Nagato's house, from the school, is actually much closer, as well as the small station of Koyoen.

I must say, though, that the town is incredibly cozy, still, as most of Japan, it's incredibly overcharged with ads of many kinds, town hall notices, coke, boss coffee... and dem food ads (interestingly enough, most of the ads are about food, but you can't find a single food vending machine, there's only soft drinks, coffee and juices).

I'm sure to return, but better equiped, walking all that with normal shoes is suicidal.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
It feels like these fans care more about the franchise than it's original author who still hasn't written a new volume in ages or the studio that had it pretty much put your name on the map. I was never into the whole Haruhiism thing much (just felt really cultish and overbearing if I'm being honest), but there's no denying the franchise really took the anime world by storm in the late 2000's. You'd think it'd have been Kyoani's flagship franchise after that and I'm still amazed that so far all that's come out of the franchise in almost a decade is a 20 TV episodes, an 8 episode arc with tons of reused footage and a movie series. Just a really mismanaged franchise, but hey at least these fans still care.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
^ "Endless Eight" didn't reuse footage. Every episode was animated from scratch. You can see for yourself here (videos of all 8 episodes at once).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
It feels like these fans care more about the franchise than it's original author who still hasn't written a new volume in ages...

That's primarily because it wrapped up with a clear-cut conclusion with The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya. I didn't know it at the time I was reading it, but I couldn't help but get that sense the closer it neared the ending. Upon looking it up online, yes, it's the final volume, and the story couldn't have ended on a more perfect note for this series.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi fans should rejoice, indeed! Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper
omiya

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, the Haruhi Suzumiya franchise lead to me visiting Japan, although I have yet to visit the locations from that anime.

At least if I do visit, the clock will be there.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I never really understood the whole "sacred site" visit phenomenon (and I know it's not exclusive to anime fans; plenty of people visit certain buildings used in movies too). It's like, whoopee, someone redrew this clock in a background from this series! Exciting!
Actar

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I never really understood the whole "sacred site" visit phenomenon (and I know it's not exclusive to anime fans; plenty of people visit certain buildings used in movies too). It's like, whoopee, someone redrew this clock in a background from this series! Exciting!

It's about re-living scenes from the anime you like in real life. It's about inserting yourself into the anime. It's about feeling a stronger bond with the characters. It's about appreciating the effort that the animators and producers took to re-create the locations within the anime... Essentially, the blurring of the line between fiction and reality and it's an experience like no other for a dedicated fan.

I myself have visited several K-On! and Lucky Star related locations and many famous sightseeing locations in Kyoto that you see in many a school trip episode in various anime.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Your screen name is Top Gun, and you have an F-14 Tomcat as your avatar. Don't tell me you wouldn't be interested in visiting MCAS Miramar, if you haven't already done so.

That said, hopefully they won't take down the clock tower a second time.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they should get Aya Hirano out there to pose in front of it, if she'd be up for it. Generate some buzz again about the franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
^ "Endless Eight" didn't reuse footage. Every episode was animated from scratch. You can see for yourself [url=/2010/01/29/watch-all-8-endless-eight-episodes-in-one-video/]here[/url] (videos of all 8 episodes at once).

That is what impresses me the most about Haruhi. It's a subtle thing, but the fact they went through the effort of animating each episode rather than lazily copy and pasting the footage is amazing to me. It's why I don't have much issue with the endless eight. It's an interesting idea and experiment.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2