• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Satoshi Kon Talks to New York Times

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He also criticizes fans who use anime as a means of escape from their real lives" and calls for a "balance between real life and imagination.

Has seen his movies? Wink I don't think there anything wrong with losing yourself for an hour as you watch a movie or a DVD. I don't know if he refers to people that all they do watch/read anime and manga, but I know there are people who need to come out of their parents basement and see the real world.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“On television and through the Internet people are being seduced by the sweetness of illusion and the sweetness of dreams,” Mr. Kon continued. “It is necessary to have that relief, because without it life is too difficult. But I think the amount of fantasy that people are being fed through the media has become disproportionate. I believe in a balance between real life and imagination. Anime should not be just another means of escape.”

That makes what he said a little more clear. I think what he says definitely has value.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Watch Paranoia Agent to see his views on the subject.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I guess Sony figured if enough Pirates seats gets sold out, people will see Paprika this coming weekend.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:37 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I guess Sony figured if enough Pirates seats gets sold out, people will see Paprika this coming weekend.

Well that is if you live in New York seeing as LA isn't going to get it until the first. I can't wait to see this film again. And you think people who don't get into Pirate are going to see Paprika over Shrek or possible the worse film of 2007? Rolling Eyes
La-Le-Lu-Le-Lo

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:54 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Watch Paranoia Agent to see his views on the subject.

Mmm, I was just about to say.

He obviously feels strongly about the subject.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:28 am Reply with quote
I dont know if you have read it, but for the ones that cant go either NY or CA, Sony moved the release date (was may 23).... to JUNE!!!!! Jeez, I hate those guys. Evil or Very Mad

Rolan
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
Rolando_jose wrote:
I don't know if you have read it, but for the ones that can't go either NY or CA, Sony moved the release date (was may 23).... to JUNE!!!!! Jeez, I hate those guys. Evil or Very Mad

Rolan

can you blame them? i really don't think they wanna compete against a huge summer blockbuster. the last thing Sony wants to do is lose more money.
Beruda

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know where in NY this film will be playing on the 25th? I can't seem to find any info about a theatre. Or is it just a dvd release?

Beruda
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
Beruda wrote:
Does anyone know where in NY this film will be playing on the 25th? I can't seem to find any info about a theatre. Or is it just a dvd release?

No it's suppose to be in theaters, although it's limited release so you might have to look around. Everywhere else it's going to be next Friday on June 1.

Movie tickets list LA as opening on the first and NY opening on the 25th. But I was unable to buy any tickets, maybe your zipcode will have better luck.
mjgeo

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Rolando_jose wrote:
I don't know if you have read it, but for the ones that can't go either NY or CA, Sony moved the release date (was may 23).... to JUNE!!!!! Jeez, I hate those guys. Evil or Very Mad

Rolan

can you blame them? i really don't think they wanna compete against a huge summer blockbuster. the last thing Sony wants to do is lose more money.

I'm of the mind that anyone going to see Paprika would do so regardless of what other movies were out at the time.

On the issue of (some) anime fans being too caught up in fantasy, it would be good if his comments sparked a bit of debate. The problem is only going to get bigger, and I don't think much is being done at the moment to address the issue.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:57 am Reply with quote
Delta: You won't get tickets until the same week, unless it's for a tentpole flick. For the record, it's playing in L.A. and Pasadena on the first.
Beruda

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No it's suppose to be in theaters, although it's limited release so you might have to look around. Everywhere else it's going to be next Friday on June 1.

Movie tickets list LA as opening on the first and NY opening on the 25th. But I was unable to buy any tickets, maybe your zipcode will have better luck.

Well I put in my zip and I got nothing but another screen showing the date for the L.A. opening. There is a showtime at the bottom for 7:45 but when I click on it nothing happens. Two days out a theatre should be posted don't ya think? I'll just keep checking.

B.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1