• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Useless Animal Sidekicks

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
Damn that poll was close.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
Totally did not see Magikarp coming for #1! Laughing PERFECT choice, lmao!
meiam

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
Magikarp can learn tackle, #instantdismissentirepollwithonecomment
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
James lucks out that the otherwise useless fish gains some muscle when it evolves.

Did things go down differently in the manga or original cut of the anime? In the US anime version Magikarp evolved after James kicked it to the curb for being worthless. Gyarados then took out its frustration on everyone there before leaving.
Cetais

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Please, there's a really obvious typo in Magikarp description. There was 151 Pokémons in the original game, not 150.

People keeps forgeting Mew. At least it isn't a super evil Pokémon, he would have destroyed the world since then. Eh.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Magikarp can learn tackle, #instantdismissentirepollwithonecomment

Exactly: In the game, Magikarp is supposed to test/torment just HOW dedicated you are to leveling up your characters.
It takes a long, long time to level up, and then--maybe around level 20 or so--finally, evolves into Gyarados, who's pretty darn badass. But up to that point, it's a lot of games where you just have to put the useless fishy into the battles where he won't make much difference, just to get the points.
(And James on the show, of course, is stuck with one, since their hard scales make them no good for eating, either.)

Now, as for USELESS animals, I never watched that far, was there actually a reason why Utena had a cutesy pet?
Sana_chan5

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
The only convention I've ever been to is Anime Expo (and Comic Con once, 10 years ago, when you could just buy a ticket at the door at 2pm and walk in). This year will be my 4th time going, and I'm super excited for the original Sailor Moon dub cast.

Last year, I was wandering around the building with a friend and we saw that Vic Mignogna was going to be in the Lounge (it was barely mentioned at all in the program, and the lounge is a lounge and not the kind of room most of the other things happened in). So we waited in line and everyone squeezed into this smallish room. I've never really cared much about voice actors, but he is actually a pretty awesome guy.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, by a margin of .3%? This Ragyo must be something else to beat Medusa out like that.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Wow, by a margin of .3%? This Ragyo must be something else to beat Medusa out like that.

And if we're listing mothers as "witches", what about spoiler[Queen Promethium] from GE999?
unready

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Shiina (Vampire Princess Miyu) ... is a sort of "alarm" to detect opposing shinma's power levels with its creepy, jaundiced eye.

Not quite. What Shiina does is dispel any illusions cast. Shinma apparently like to hide behind all sorts of deception. Shiina lets Mayu see how things really are.

But, yeah, he only uses the power once each in like 1 or 2 episodes, and maybe in another 1 or 2 where he says there's no deception occurring.
angieness

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Sana_chan5 wrote:
The only convention I've ever been to is Anime Expo (and Comic Con once, 10 years ago, when you could just buy a ticket at the door at 2pm and walk in). This year will be my 4th time going, and I'm super excited for the original Sailor Moon dub cast.

Last year, I was wandering around the building with a friend and we saw that Vic Mignogna was going to be in the Lounge (it was barely mentioned at all in the program, and the lounge is a lounge and not the kind of room most of the other things happened in). So we waited in line and everyone squeezed into this smallish room. I've never really cared much about voice actors, but he is actually a pretty awesome guy.

He is! I actually met him and Havoc's VA at Ohayocon way back when only a few episodes of FMA had been released dubbed. So obviously this was before he got a huge following. He was excited that I really liked the dub.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Now, as for USELESS animals, I never watched that far, was there actually a reason why Utena had a cutesy pet?

Chu-Chu was Anthy's pet, and aside from providing much needed comfort for her, he occasionally proved useful in thwarting some of Nanami's silly plots. He just liked hanging out with Utena too.

I was a little saddened to see Misaki Aoyagi on the last poll, as she wasn't willfully evil, just mentally ill. But I'm pleased to see that Shinzen Tennozou wasn't forgotten. She was a monster, whose "tragic" backstory did nothing to exonerate her actions.

Can't answer the new poll. I can't say I've never been to any anime cons, but I haven't been to one in over a decade, and don't plan to. So none of the choices work.

Jaken was supposed to be a kappa (does the hat cover his bowl?)? I always just thought of him as a demonic frog. He's not entirely useless though, wielding the Staff of Two Heads and babysitting Rin (thought she doesn't really need it). Now Shippo...
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Quote:
James lucks out that the otherwise useless fish gains some muscle when it evolves.

Did things go down differently in the manga or original cut of the anime? In the US anime version Magikarp evolved after James kicked it to the curb for being worthless. Gyarados then took out its frustration on everyone there before leaving.

"lucks out"...? The thing evolves and wreaks havoc on everyone (don't worry--the Japanese dub is the same). I wouldn't call that "luck"...
Interestingly, the Magikarp seller appeared at the Kanto festival nearing the end of the BWS2 series. I don't remember what he was selling, but I doubt it was anything legit. =P
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Meow is NOT a cat, he's a Betelgeusian.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
magikarp is useless eh??? well this sweep shown on YouTube begs to differ.

http://youtu.be/y-PArgnvqQ4?t=2m12s
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4